Canadians in MLS (2013 Season)

mulliganl

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's funny. When Teibert got some starts, he had to work his shot. Now he scores 2 goals and he must work his defense so he can play fullback.

Teibert was pretty good defensively yesterday by tracking back to break up plays and helping Lee in general. I think he's found his place on the field. The men's national team really needs a guy that can make penetrating runs like he can.

not really. he's just very overrated and DC is getting killed on 250k? salary he is now on

Come on now. We've seen Jakovic when he's been much better. At his best, he'd displace any of our CBs. He might need a new setting to get back to his old form like Pirlo when he moved from Milan to Juventus.

May 8

-Patrice Bernier played 90 minutes in Montreal's 2-1 loss to New York.

-Will Johnson played 90 minutes for Portland in their 1-1 draw with FC Dallas.

-Jonathan Osorio subbed on for the final 13 minutes in TFC's 2-1 loss to San Jose.

I love his guile. He has the grit, determination and upper body strength of a South American. That sets him apart from Bekker, who gets pushed off the ball with ease.

Teibert was pretty good defensively yesterday by tracking back to break up plays and helping Lee in general. I think he's found his place on the field. The men's national team really needs a guy that can make penetrating runs like he can.

Come on now. We've seen Jakovic when he's been much better. At his best, he'd displace any of our CBs. He might need a new setting to get back to his old form like Pirlo when he moved from Milan to Juventus.

I love his guile. He has the grit, determination and upper body strength of a South American. That sets him apart from Bekker, who gets pushed off the ball with ease.

Bekker needs to read your quote and then hit the gym with some grit and determination. See Teibert.

Bekker needs to read your quote and then hit the gym with some grit and determination. See Teibert.

I don't think the problem is the gym, it's not directly related to the sport. I wonder if he's not fit enough because I never see him run on the field, it seems like he's jogging. Also, he won't make himself available to receive a pass.

He's funny. When Teibert got some starts, he had to work his shot. Now he scores 2 goals and he must work his defense so he can play fullback.

Yes he did need to work on his shooting while under pressure. In practice is one thing but during a game is another. He was putting the shots way over and that will get you benched quickly. The previous game although he didn't score he wasn't off by a country mile. Progress under pressure is a good thing.

Now I want him to be a better defender. Oh what a shame, he isn't a perfect all around player at his age. This is the last year for our RB and Klazura hasn't shown half going forward that Russell has. There is an opening coming up that he could play. That is called an opportunity. That requires adjustment and improvement by the player.

He will get more starts in midfield but being a Dani Alves type attacking player you can do that role from mid or RB. If he keeps improving the various weak parts of his game (ie. right foot, defending) he will be a phenom for both club and country. I hope he gets called up to the Gold Cup.

Pointing out a players weakness isn't making excuses for or against him. It's just pointing out what I feel would make him a better player. If he goes back to shooting into the upper deck I'll be sure to mention it but hopefully he's solved that one for good. One down and always more to go. There is always room to improve in a soccer player's repertoire.

Macksam: Teibert was pretty good defensively yesterday by tracking back to break up plays and helping Lee in general. I think he's found his place on the field. The men's national team really needs a guy that can make penetrating runs like he can.

Yes from the midfield position (left or right) his relentless pressure up and down the side works great for forcing bad passes and turnovers. Sort of LeToux like but with better touch and dribbling. I sort of think playing his off wing is better because once he has his back to the sideline the ball is farther away from the defender on his dominant left foot. He seems more comfortable in confined spaces along the right sideline than the left.

lol, he needs to learn that he's allowed to stick his arm out and shield the ball.

Ha fair enough! His technique for crosses is really nice, but he has to be able to get in those positions from good one on one play, and you are spot on what he needs to work on.

In RT's entire career for the Whitecaps he has taken 10 shots and hit the target 3 times. I think the sample-size is still a little too small to say he has a problem with missing the net. Just like the sample size is still a little small to now call him a scoring machine.

Yes he did need to work on his shooting while under pressure. In practice is one thing but during a game is another. He was putting the shots way over and that will get you benched quickly. The previous game although he didn't score he wasn't off by a country mile. Progress under pressure is a good thing.

Now I want him to be a better defender. Oh what a shame, he isn't a perfect all around player at his age. This is the last year for our RB and Klazura hasn't shown half going forward that Russell has. There is an opening coming up that he could play. That is called an opportunity. That requires adjustment and improvement by the player.

He will get more starts in midfield but being a Dani Alves type attacking player you can do that role from mid or RB. If he keeps improving the various weak parts of his game (ie. right foot, defending) he will be a phenom for both club and country. I hope he gets called up to the Gold Cup.

Pointing out a players weakness isn't making excuses for or against him. It's just pointing out what I feel would make him a better player. If he goes back to shooting into the upper deck I'll be sure to mention it but hopefully he's solved that one for good. One down and always more to go. There is always room to improve in a soccer player's repertoire.

Macksam: Teibert was pretty good defensively yesterday by tracking back to break up plays and helping Lee in general. I think he's found his place on the field. The men's national team really needs a guy that can make penetrating runs like he can.

Yes from the midfield position (left or right) his relentless pressure up and down the side works great for forcing bad passes and turnovers. Sort of LeToux like but with better touch and dribbling. I sort of think playing his off wing is better because once he has his back to the sideline the ball is farther away from the defender on his dominant left foot. He seems more comfortable in confined spaces along the right sideline than the left.

I don't have a problem with you mentioning his weakness. He doesn't need to play fullback to work his defense. On top of that, he became one of the Whitecaps top scorers and you want him at fullback position.

I don't have a problem with you mentioning his weakness. He doesn't need to play fullback to work his defense. On top of that, he became one of the Whitecaps top scorers and you want him at fullback position.

I've been musing about him at RB since last year. I want him on the field as much as possible. There is a lot of competition for midfield spots currently but RB is wide open. With NRC owning the CM spot, JMD & Gershon the DM and Hurtado/Manneh the speed kills wingers, Camilo, Miller (Salgado is injured again or that would be another one) it is very crowded. I've seen glimpses of Alves/Lee type offence from him on the right side that I haven't seen when he plays on the left side. So if he can get more playing time at RB I'm all for it. He is still an attacking threat from that position. He has something few others on the team have, quickness and control while changing direction with the ball.

Anyway I'll stop with the RB stuff now and start comparing him to Lionel Messi from now on. :)

Just to be clear, Russell was never fat. He's been the top conditioned Whitecap since 2010, when he was 17. The coaching staff has been asking him to up his work rate, get on the ball, switch play, and get past people from time to time.

Didn't he have the best time up the Grouse Grind at some team training session a few years ago?

May 18

-Doneil Henry played 90 minutes for Toronto FC in their 1-0 loss to Columbus. Jonathan Osorio subbed on for 33 minutes of play.

-Will Johnson scored Portland's first goal and assisted on their second while playing the whole match in his team's 2-2 draw with Vancouver. Russell Teibert played 90 for Vancouver.

May 19

-As mentioned above, Kyle Porter scored his first MLS goal while playing 90 in DC's 1-1 draw with Kansas City. Dejan Jakovic also played the entire match. Dwayne DeRosario subbed off in the final minute.

Most of the time you could probably describe him as an out-and-out winger playing on the right side of midfield. That's certainly when he is at his best, running at defenders and getting in crosses. However, like most teams, DCU will switch formations multiple times within the game and he might find himself playing on that right side as the most advanced player in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. When that happens he doesn't stick to the touch line and provide width as much as he will cut in at link up with teammates or whatever. He's a little more limited in that role, usually quick passes and whatnot but less likely to be the guy who really cuts the defense open. He is also usually the guy who takes corners for DCU and from what I've seen the delivery has looked very consistent and high quality.

Archived