Canadians in MLS (2013 Season)

mulliganl

Kyle Porter was a 31st minute substitute for DeLeon in DC United's 2-1 loss to Columbus. Dwayne De Rosario played 90 minutes.

Ethan Finlay subbed in for Columbus in the 88th minute.

Porter did pretty well, I thought. He gave the ball up needlessly a couple of times, but also delivered a few nice crosses, and even scored a goal which was allowed at first, then overturned because of a passive offside call on Pajoy. Could've been his first MLS goal ...

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Karl Ouimette plays 90 solid minutes in the Impact's 1-0 win over RBNY.

Hope I get to write something similar about a young Whitecaps player this year.

Ouimette looked decent out there from what I saw of the Impact game. wasn't pressed into too many tough situations and at times the defense looked a little shakey overall, but mostly because Impact cede so much possession. Counter-attack football at its best.

I guess this is the key message after 4 games from what I've read: we are winning, but we are winning on the counterattack. Can we keep this kind of game up? Does this sound like other teams? All I know is that it feels a bit like we have some sore losers out there...

March 30

-Jonathan Osorio subbed on for the final 26 minutes and scored his team's second goal in Toronto's 2-2 draw at home to LA Galaxy. Terry Dunfield started and played 64 minutes before subbing off for Osorio.

-Attakora rides the bench after his best XI week in San Jose's 2-0 loss to Houston.

-Patrice Bernier and Karl Ouimette both played 90 minutes in Montreal's 2-0 loss to Sporting KC.

March 30

-Jonathan Osorio subbed on for the final 26 minutes and scored his team's second goal in Toronto's 2-2 draw at home to LA Galaxy. Terry Dunfield started and played 64 minutes before subbing off for Osorio.

Bekker not dressed and Morgan on the bench for this one, but after Darrell Russell had an incredible howler of a game gift-wrapping LA with the tying goal (after also being at fault on the first LA goal), I would hope that Morgan gets his spot back next week.

Bekker not dressed and Morgan on the bench for this one, but after Darrell Russell had an incredible howler of a game gift-wrapping LA with the tying goal (after also being at fault on the first LA goal), I would hope that Morgan gets his spot back next week.

Yeah, after showing relatively well as a sub, Russell really had a brutal game this afternoon. I felt that it'd be beneficial for Morgan to be dropped from the first team for a better choice and then have to fight his way back to the starting 11. However, he'll probably be brought back in right away due to Russell's play.

Will Johnson brings Portland back from 2-0 down with two goals to earn the draw vs Colorado.

Great to see the miss against Seattle didn't affect his confidence or spook him. That is one sure way to put a missing a sitter behind you. Score a pair and on the road to boot. Well done Will.

Unfortunately Zusi turned Ouimette inside-out a little bit on the 2-0 goal but it was a nice move. Hopefully it doesn't knowck his confidence too much. Anyone see the whole game? How was his performance overall?

Ouimette had a very poor game. All the inexperience that one might expect from a young CB and which did not show in his first game was apparent in this one. The goal was not the only time he got beaten terribly, he got lucky a couple of other times that poor play on his part did not result in other goals due to poor finishing. To be fair though he wasn't helped by Ferrari having one of his worst games as an Impact player, the defence being poor in general and the mids letting a lot of KC attacking plays through with little challenge. My impression after two games is that if the rest of the team is playing well, keeping its form and minimizing the attacks of the opposing team he can be effective cog in the wheel. When that is not the case he can really be exploited as a weak spot on the defence which KC did all night. Of course as a 20 year old CB I am not sure we can expect much better and hopefully he will learn from the mistakes he made on Saturday.

The worrying thing about the game was not that we lost after 4 straight wins as that was bound to happen sometime but how we lost. To be fair KC looked very strong and like the team that won the conference last year not the team that has struggled early in the season. However, we really were dominated in this game, were unable to stop their attack and at the same time put very little pressure on their goal. The question is was KC just a better team, did they figure out what we were doing or was it just a collectively poor game on the Impact's part?

^ For all the accolades he has received in the early-going, Montreal was put on the back foot early on a terrible giveaway by Patrice Bernier that led directly to the opening goal. On that play, Ouimette wasn't sure whether to remain central or to cover for Camara (who was the intended recipient, one supposes, of the Bernier pass). After the goal you can see Ferrari yelling at Ouimette, and then Ouimette indicating that he thought he needed to cover the wide man that was Camara's responsibility.

My impression after two games is that if the rest of the team is playing well, keeping its form and minimizing the attacks of the opposing team he can be effective cog in the wheel. When that is not the case he can really be exploited as a weak spot on the defence which KC did all night.

I think this also applied to the CMNT central defence situation during the last WCQ.

^ For all the accolades he has received in the early-going, Montreal was put on the back foot early on a terrible giveaway by Patrice Bernier that led directly to the opening goal. On that play, Ouimette wasn't sure whether to remain central or to cover for Camara (who was the intended recipient, one supposes, of the Bernier pass). After the goal you can see Ferrari yelling at Ouimette, and then Ouimette indicating that he thought he needed to cover the wide man that was Camara's responsibility.

Actually in this case I think Ouimette made the right choice because the other player would have been free and Ferrari was in position to cover Bieler but did not do a very good job of it. The giveaway by Bernier was poor but still pretty far upfield and would not have been a problem if Camara who is supposed to be a defender was not even further up field. About 80% of the fault on that goal goes to Camara and Ferrari and Bernier can split the rest. What was Camara doing/thinking on that play? Such low percentage offensive moves often get turned around for goal the other way. I really dislike Camara as a defender, he has great skills and thus can make some great plays but makes some really boneheaded decisions at times and does not have the mentality of a defender. He should be in midfield. And he certainly should not be playing so defensively irresponsibly when he is playing next to a 20 year old rookie CB.

And while I don't blame Ouimette for the first goal he was to blame on the second and he made two other mistakes that should have led to KC goals had they finished them. And not to single him out because I think the other 3 defenders all had one or more big screw up each that should have led to another KC goal had they finished properly. (Seriously we could/should have lost this game 6-0 given all the chances we gave them)

I don't think we should have loaned Valentin at least not unless we had a replacement and if we were going to get rid of anyone to clear some cap space it should have been Iapichino. Valentin might have been inconsistent but at times he showed a lot of ability and I have not seen anything from Iapichino so far to suggest that he is an MLS calibre player or even a future MLS calibre player.

Ouimette had a very poor game. All the inexperience that one might expect from a young CB and which did not show in his first game was apparent in this one. The goal was not the only time he got beaten terribly, he got lucky a couple of other times that poor play on his part did not result in other goals due to poor finishing. To be fair though he wasn't helped by Ferrari having one of his worst games as an Impact player, the defence being poor in general and the mids letting a lot of KC attacking plays through with little challenge. My impression after two games is that if the rest of the team is playing well, keeping its form and minimizing the attacks of the opposing team he can be effective cog in the wheel. When that is not the case he can really be exploited as a weak spot on the defence which KC did all night. Of course as a 20 year old CB I am not sure we can expect much better and hopefully he will learn from the mistakes he made on Saturday.

The worrying thing about the game was not that we lost after 4 straight wins as that was bound to happen sometime but how we lost. To be fair KC looked very strong and like the team that won the conference last year not the team that has struggled early in the season. However, we really were dominated in this game, were unable to stop their attack and at the same time put very little pressure on their goal. The question is was KC just a better team, did they figure out what we were doing or was it just a collectively poor game on the Impact's part?

Mtl just could not deal with high pressure 4-3-3 from SKC, which is worrisome if you're IMFC fan. Bernier especially was hounded constantly and could not find the bit of space and time to make a pass. Arnaud did his best to pick up the slack but Martins also had a terrible game and with no supply from the front, di Vaio was isolated and ineffective.

Dunfield is out with an injury so it will be interesting to see if Osorio can get a start as his replacement. If not, and if Morgan or Bekker don't start (the way that Nelsen is talking, it sounds like Russell is keeping his place), we could see no Canucks in the starting line-up for TFC today, which hasn't happened often.

Osorio does indeed get the start although is subbed out (very harshly IMO) at the half. Ashtone Morgan plays the 4 minutes of injury time as Richard Eckersley injures himself during the tying goal celebrations as TFC come back from 2-0 down to tie Dallas 2-2. Henry & Bekker un-used subs. Osorio played well but unfortunately for him his teammates weren't anticipating some of his passes late in the 1st half and not making the right runs (they probably aren't used to someone with creative vision to who actually releases the ball almost immediately instead of hanging on to it for 5 minutes deciding what to do) - resulting is Osorio getting "punished" for it. It was actually the subbing off of Bostock for Justin Braun that turned the tide in favour of TFC on the day.

Archived