Toronto FC changes for 2013

Loud Mouth Soup

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone know if the Hulkster Hollywood Hogan is a year loan? Or do QPR expect him back for pre-season in the Championship?

Thought I read the loan was until June. Payne/Nelson want to assess this type of player during a shorter term loan before entering into any long term agreements.

According to people that attending the kit launch last night the following players have been signed:

Jonathan Osorio

Hogan Ephraim (on loan)

Taylor Morgan

Supposedly more to come.

Glad to heare about the first two in particular - Osorio being signed thankfully contradicts those earlier comments made by the then-TFC brass that nobody would be signed out of the academy this year.

And with Earnshaw's signing, the TFC attack ought not to be as incredibly anemic on paper as it looked in pre-season.

Osorio isn't really an Academy player. He spent very little time with the Academy.

I like that these English players are only on loan for now. If they don't work out, no harm done and at the very least it gives the club more time to look for replacements. Its just too bad that most of these last minute signings aren't really match fit yet.

Toronto has a bunch of young american cost offs currently trialing. There must be some young Canadians somewhere or academy players that could do same job?

The good news is that JBB and Peters are still around.

Toronto FC ‏@torontofc#TFC training update: Jaime Peters, Ryan Richter & Lance Rozeboom on trial with the club. #TFClive

Toronto FC ‏@torontofc#TFC training update: Jake Hustedt & Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault remain on trial. #TFClive

Ryan Nelsen

When we came in the club, the club had done nothing,” Nelsen said. “No recruitment, no scouting, no nothing, so we literally have to start from scratch here and we feel like we’re four or five weeks behind everybody because we had to deal with cap issues and we had to deal with squad issues

AS I THOUGHT. SO GLAD MARINER IS GONE.

Ryan Nelsen

When we came in the club, the club had done nothing,” Nelsen said. “No recruitment, no scouting, no nothing, so we literally have to start from scratch here and we feel like we’re four or five weeks behind everybody because we had to deal with cap issues and we had to deal with squad issues

AS I THOUGHT. SO GLAD MARINER IS GONE.

I think this shows in the types of moves the team has traditionally made: rarely had TFC signed a player that made you think they used good scouting. They tend to make moves that expose how limited their scouting was (ex. overpaying for Hassli, going after Melleburg after watching the Euro's for god's sake!).

At least now it appears the new regime will be way more creative and thorough.

I think this shows in the types of moves the team has traditionally made: rarely had TFC signed a player that made you think they used good scouting. They tend to make moves that expose how limited their scouting was (ex. overpaying for Hassli, going after Melleburg after watching the Euro's for god's sake!).

Safe to say that the trend has been generally positive since Payne's arrival? I hope it continues ... but hope is so dangerous around here.

Safe to say that the trend has been generally positive since Payne's arrival? I hope it continues ... but hope is so dangerous around here.

Its too early to tell. But a lot of fans took a lot of positives from not being crushed by Vancouver on the weekend.

The jury is still out but I am hopeful.

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing.

Sounds like didn't have any system when it came to identifying talent or creating a pipeline. It was just a loose set of connections and little else.

From twitter:

Kristian Jack ‏@KristianJackExclusive: Toronto FC close in on Argentine forward Maximiliano Urruti to be their next DP http://wp.me/p2UTyX-4P #tfc #mls

I trust Kevin Payne and his scouts to make good decisions, but this guys production leaves a little to be desired for a DP.

Tournament Games Goals

Torneo Final 2013 3 1

Libertadores 2013 2 0

Torneo Inicial 2012 14 0

Clausura 2012 19 6

Apertura 2011 7 1

I trust Kevin Payne and his scouts to make good decisions, but this guys production leaves a little to be desired for a DP.

Tournament Games Goals

Torneo Final 2013 3 1

Libertadores 2013 2 0

Torneo Inicial 2012 14 0

Clausura 2012 19 6

Apertura 2011 7 1

Yes, it does. Reminds me of Pablo Vitti, a bit. Still young though, but a DP spot right away seems steep. I would hope he would come on with an option to become a DP in a seasons time after proving he is a DP.

^^You two know he's 21 years old, right?

Absolutley (though it is 22), Vitti only was 23 or 24 when he came to TFC with the same sort of pedigree.

Not saying they are the exact same, or that Urutti will be a flop by any stretch. Just saying his stats do not jump off the page as a player who is a sure shot to develop into a DP worthy player.

There is plenty of Argentinians who by 22 were much farther along than he is. All I was pointing out was is that there definitely some risk involved, though plenty of upside if he is as advertised.

Like Vitti just playing on a big Argentine club with the promise of potential is not the only criteria it takes to succeed in MLS (let alone take on a DP spot) it takes a certain personality to survive the travel, and massive culture swing he'll experience in Toronto. I am guessing his English is weak if not non-existent, so there are hurdles to overcome for him besides just playing football. Not sure how many Spanish speaking players and coaches are on hand in Toronto, but there are a lot of factors in bringing in a young foreign players who has never played outside his home country: language barriers, homesickness, culture shock.

I hope it works out for TFC, I like that they have kept scouting South America and are taking chances on the crop of youth they have to offer, as it is abundant. They also might be more suited to MLS than European players.

Hopefully it works out for the best for both parties, though cause I can imagine his creativity up front would be a breath of fresh air for TFC fans and coaches alike.

Archived