Toronto FC changes for 2013

Loud Mouth Soup

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully these guys can catch on in Edmonton or something. They need some playing time. I'd imagine Edmonton would be all over this considering they are bringing players that have lesser resumes to their combine. Be curious to see if Ottawa sends representatives to the combine.

Six players have options declined by the club. The clear-out begins.

Adrian Cann, Ty Harden, Dicoy Williams, Oscar Cordon, Nicholas Lindsay and Keith Makubuya

Lindsay? I guess the two years off must have really brought him down. Either that or Mariner has his head up his ass. Probably both I imagine.

Does anybody here have any inside knowledge of which academy guys are going to be brought up if any?

Lindsay? I guess the two years off must have really brought him down. Either that or Mariner has his head up his ass. Probably both I imagine.

Does anybody here have any inside knowledge of which academy guys are going to be brought up if any?

Pretty bummed about this. He gave these young players basically zero opportunity to show themselves. I really hope this isn't the end to their professional careers. But don't worry, Toronto didn't cut F. Hall, J. Hall, Wiedamen or Maund. **** off Paul.

Don't be surprised if next season TFC carries a similar amount of Canadians as Montreal and Vancouver.

Not surprised by today's cuts, although I expected Stinson to be among the cuts.

If I'm Montreal of Vancouver I would try to grab Cann as a back up defender.

I'm worried a little about the future of Cordon, Makabuya and Lindsay. We really do need more Canadian NASL teams.

Not surprised by today's cuts, although I expected Stinson to be among the cuts.

I guess if you are looking for something good out of all of this ****, the fact that they kept Stinson is a positive. I just really hope he actually gets to see some playing time next year.

As an aside, I still haven't decided about my renewal for next year but things like this just make me less interested. I didn't buy tickets for TFC to watch great football, I got them to watch Canadians play football.

To be fair, Lindsay was playing in the CSL for half a season before making his TFC appearance at the end of the season. It would stand to reason that they had long enough to evaluate him and make a decision. I think he and Cordon will be able to find a new home. If Kyle Porter can find some success in NASL, I would think both of them could.

The only cut I'm surprised to see is Lindsay, he was at minimum an upgrade on Weidemann.

Cordon and Makubuya weren't going to get time under Mariner. Cann, Harden and Williams were all thrown out already, and really weren't MLS caliber anymore.

They may not be regular MLS starter calibre, but they can definitely do a job when called upon. Right now, they have O'Dea, Henry and Emory as their CB platoon. Hope no one gets injured.

Once again, this is typical short sighted management. Keep one of them until you have a capable replacement. Why get rid of people to make room for other players that may or may not make the grade? There's going to be another Caicedo/Aceval situation.

The optimist in me thinks that they think Henry is ready for primetime, but the realist in me knows that it will be O'Dea and Eckersley as a first choice pairing.

To be fair, Lindsay was playing in the CSL for half a season before making his TFC appearance at the end of the season. It would stand to reason that they had long enough to evaluate him and make a decision. I think he and Cordon will be able to find a new home. If Kyle Porter can find some success in NASL, I would think both of them could.

I just have to say one more time how unlucky Lindsay is. I whole heartedly think that he would've been the best player in MLS today if he never got injured. Like others have said, we all got excited because we had never seen a Canadian player with his ability to beat players before. It just makes you think that Canadian soccer is cursed, badly cursed.

They may not be regular MLS starter calibre, but they can definitely do a job when called upon. Right now, they have O'Dea, Henry and Emory as their CB platoon. Hope no one gets injured.

Once again, this is typical short sighted management. Keep one of them until you have a capable replacement. Why get rid of people to make room for other players that may or may not make the grade? There's going to be another Caicedo/Aceval situation.

The optimist in me thinks that they think Henry is ready for primetime, but the realist in me knows that it will be O'Dea and Eckersley as a first choice pairing.

Isn't Aaron Maund actually a centre back, who was played out of position all season? Or am I imagining that?

This pretty much caps off the most depressing year in sports all around for me. Its one thing to cut Canadian players who were given opportunities and failed to take them, but its another thing to not give them opportunities in the first place. With all three young Canadians that was the case this season (Makubuya played in one game and looked pretty good when he did come on late - his reward for this is no more games & cut at the end of the season). Even worse is that other than Harden, the most obvious choices to be cut - Hall & Maund - are kept. Totally depressing.

The Cann cut doesn't surprise me given his salary and Mariner's inability to assess talent he had at his disposal properly, but I hope he bounces back elsewhere, as he should be good enough as a back-up. He played well down the stretch when he was finally given a chance after his bouts with injuries, and you could see how upset he was at the post-season interviews that he was nailed to the bench while guys were played out of position (and who didn't know how to play the position properly) were played instead.

We had a chance to talk to Oscar Cordon, who told us "I'm actually excited to be honest. This year was rough. But as bad as it sounds, this is what I wanted."

http://rednationonline.ca/Articles2012/TorontoFCReleaseSixGoodCallorBadPrecedent.aspx

I think this might be the best move for the academy kids careers. You don't have to look very far back to see examples where a lack of playing time and faith in a player allowed for that player to go elsewhere to find success (Edwini Bonsu). He's not lighting the world on fire in Germany but he's playing at a much higher level than the PDL, the CSL or the MLS.

I challenge anyone to show how keeping Logan Emory is somehow better/different than Adrian Cann. It just shows how stupid the quota requirements are. Here we are giving marginal spots to Americans instead of Canadians, because if nothing else they provide more trade flexibility. What a load of bull****.

If you're going to provide a crap product: at least do it with local players instead of a bunch of foreign journeymen. Said it before, I'll say it again... would it really kill the CSA and the Canadian clubs to raise the requirements? At least have a plan to do that incrementally, year-by-year?

Have never been a SSH, but I've cut my spend dramatically over the last three years. I paid $10 a seat for three games this year and people were literally burning their tickets the resale values were so low. They won't even be able to pay me to show up next year until captain-I-wear-shorts-to-the-office and the rest of the dysfunctional bunch are gone. This from someone who eats and breathes the sport. Good luck with the casual crowd.

yup cut out youngsters that were never given a chance despite the fact we were playing in a meaningless season and have pretty much no impact salary cap wise, but we'll keep the same ****ing garbage that started all the matches last season, even releasing williams is stupid imo, the guy is getting paid very little and would be a decent backup but knowing tfc and mariner, we'll buy some player from the 4th division in england and give a ridiculous salary to sit on the bench. This team is seriously killing me. GTFO mariner.

Found an interesting article about Oscar Cordon dated November 15, he is presently in Guatemala training with Petapa.... if google translate is correct he wants to keep in shape and adapt to the style of play because he wants to play for Guatemala. Here is the link to the article...

http://guatefutbol.com/index.php/noticias/liga-nacional/petapa/item/3290-sin-tiempo-para-descansar

Found an interesting article about Oscar Cordon dated November 15, he is presently in Guatemala training with Petapa.... if google translate is correct he wants to keep in shape and adapt to the style of play because he wants to play for Guatemala. Here is the link to the article...

http://guatefutbol.com/index.php/noticias/liga-nacional/petapa/item/3290-sin-tiempo-para-descansar

The BBC said Junior Hoilett is a "Canadian international"!!!!!

Archived