Toronto FC changes for 2013

Loud Mouth Soup

With Brian Burke's firing today, Maybe these moves (ie Payne hiring and Mariner and Burke firing) are all part and parcel of the new ownership putting its stamp on the teams. The new owners officially took over in September. Probably not a coincidence.

One can only hope for TFC and Canadian soccer that the new owners are more clued in than MLSE. It is hard to imagine them being worse. The fellow from DC seems to have a record of good picks for coaches so time will tell. Here's hoping all 3 Canadian teams make the playoffs in 2013.

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TFC is insane if they are going to trade away the Farrell pick because of Califf and Agbossamounde. Take Farrell and play him at DM if he can't beat out O'Dea or Califf for the starting spot. They can grab Lopez or Alvarez at 3 and all of a sudden the midfield is looking a whole lot better.

+1

We need help in the midfield. Farrell as a DM is a good move for the future, even if he ends up at CB where we have some depth now.

Then a wide player or an AM and we're in good position suddenly as far as depth goes.

Farrell can play RB as well. Given Eckersley's huge cap hit, it would make a lot of sense to cut him and just put Farrell/Henry there. That would be pretty ballsy by Payne and he may chose not to alienate the fanbase so early. TFC can't carry that cap hit much longer in any case, however. Farrell looks like a more technically skilled Wynne in some ways.

I think they're allowed 1 buyout per year. I'd rather see them buy out Koevs than Eckersley. Koevs is going to miss a good chunk of the season and he's essentially the same player as Hassli so he's expendable. Plus that's a huge budget hit for half a season.

Koevermans played half a season last year and still scored 9 goals. I don't think people would complain too much if he scores 9 goals in half a season again

Koevermans played half a season last year and still scored 9 goals. I don't think people would complain too much if he scores 9 goals in half a season again

Probably a bit easier to score 9 in half a season PRE torn ACL then achieving that coming off one.

So if he pulled that off not only would I not complain, I'd be tempted to elevate him to all-time TFC status (haha that last part was a bit of a joke but you know what I mean).

There isn't seem to be a general TFC thread so I'll post this article here

http://www.wakingthered.com/2013/1/15/3862506/toronto-fc-another-victim-of-canadas-selfish-generation

Toronto FC another victim of Canada's Selfish Generation

The problem is though that the Selfish Generation have made up some of TFC's best players. Some can attribute that to just how bad TFC is but it's difficult to deny that Brennan wasn't a warrior for TFC those first two years and without him that backline would've been even more of a horror show. DeRo, for all his antics, performed well on the field.

Season one I'd agree on Brennan holding the backline together a lot of the time. After that he appeared to slowly lose it in terms of pace and may eventually have owed his place on the roster to meaningful Canadian domestic content regulations being in place. As for DeRosario think it was obvious that he downed tools on Preki and had a major role in getting him fired.

TFC still has a lot of work to do to get ready for the season.

1.Desperately need wingers. Lambe/Plata isn't going to cut it, as evidenced by last year.

2. Need a real deal striker. Right now it's Justin Braun (who had a stinker last year), Danny K who is injured, Hassli, who is probably on his way out of town, and recently drafted Welshman.

3. Need to cut down/move bad salaries - ie Ecks, Frings would be nice too but won't happen.

There isn't seem to be a general TFC thread so I'll post this article here

http://www.wakingthered.com/2013/1/15/3862506/toronto-fc-another-victim-of-canadas-selfish-generation

Toronto FC another victim of Canada's Selfish Generation

Dumbest premise ever.

But it plays well with the type of TFC fan that doesn't give a **** about the national team, so I can understand why so many agree with one of the most retarded theories I've ever seen.

Dumbest premise ever.

But it plays well with the type of TFC fan that doesn't give a **** about the national team, so I can understand why so many agree with one of the most retarded theories I've ever seen.

You know reading this article and then the commentary from different members of the media who are former nats players, I get the impression that these different generations of players really don't like each other.

Looking at the TFC roster, Payne has a ton of work to do to make this team competitive. TFC really need to find a way to move a big contract or two and make some upgrades, especially in the attacking third.

well, for what's worth, Hassli is linked to Mtl. De Sanctis apparently has interest, plus Schallenbaum managed Hassli before

Archived