Toronto FC changes for 2013

Loud Mouth Soup

It can mean anything.

My guess is that TFC is paying a little bit of his cap hit and a lot of his DP portion of his salary.

Why would Dallas want to carry Hassli at $790,000? TFC has to be chipping in for some of it. $50,000 is nearly negligble.

I would suspect this would be part of the use of all the allocation we traded for. It's a shame they made that bone-headed move by extending him but I'll give Kevin Payne credit for giving himself flexibility.

I'd urge patience for those looking for new attacking players. They'll show up eventually. Otherwise, the club is going to need a while to fix itself, so no real sense of urgency.

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would suspect this would be part of the use of all the allocation we traded for. It's a shame they made that bone-headed move by extending him but I'll give Kevin Payne credit for giving himself flexibility.

I'd urge patience for those looking for new attacking players. They'll show up eventually. Otherwise, the club is going to need a while to fix itself, so no real sense of urgency.

I believe you can charge Hassli's partial cap hit directly to TFC without use of allocation. At least, I believe the trade would say allocation being given to Dallas instead of all this partial cap hit talk.

The really sad thing is that TFC have had mostly great picks in the draft over the last 7 years and still aren't anywhere near where they should be. I know 1 was sold for a heated grass pitch and extras but what happened to the others?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Edu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Boyens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_James

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Phelan_(soccer)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Cronin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27Brian_White

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Frei

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Silva

Why would Dallas want to carry Hassli at $790,000? TFC has to be chipping in for some of it. $50,000 is nearly negligble.

Neil Davidson repeated that number, likely lifted from the PA, in his piece this week but I'll bet you he's wrong. I'll bet you Hassli didn't make $790,000 in 2012 and Dallas/MLS won't be paying him that much in 2013.

In 2011 his base salary was listed as $660,000 with a guaranteed compensation of $900,000.

In 2012 his base salary was listed as $550,000 with a guaranteed compensation of $790,000.

Notice the similarity? In both cases the difference between base and guaranteed was $240,000. The way the PA presents salary information is to annualize any guaranteed bonuses over the length of the contract (including option years). They most obvious sort of "guaranteed" bonus is one that's already been paid: a signing bonus. So, if the term of Hassli's contract was 2+1 years then that might imply that Vancouver paid him $720,000 bonus back when he joined the league in 2011. So the higher guaranteed compensation, quoted by Davidson and around the TFC internet, as "how much he was paid in 2012" could, in fact, be an artifact of that. That would mean that Hassli was paid total compensation of ~$1.4mil back in 2011 but now costs a little over a third of that. I could be wrong but this sort of contract structure is probably pretty typical when trying to lure players to the league (and comparable to what the Generation adidas program does to encourage undergrads into the league early): the player gets a large portion of money up front to mitigate the risk of coming to a new continent.

So yeah, I can see why a cash and allocation rich FCD who also got the budget space back for Brek Shea and need forwards would want Hassli on $550,000. He'll probably score a bunch of goals for them and hardly breaks the bank if the I/O contribution to his salary is only another paltry $200,000. It's only the structure of the rest of TFC's salary budget that makes him look like a luxury here. We'll see how TFC does trying to find a more economical replacement; finding forwards to will adapt to MLS is always hit and miss.

Neil Davidson repeated that number, likely lifted from the PA, in his piece this week but I'll bet you he's wrong. I'll bet you Hassli didn't make $790,000 in 2012 and Dallas/MLS won't be paying him that much in 2013.

In 2011 his base salary was listed as $660,000 with a guaranteed compensation of $900,000.

In 2012 his base salary was listed as $550,000 with a guaranteed compensation of $790,000.

Notice the similarity? In both cases the difference between base and guaranteed was $240,000. The way the PA presents salary information is to annualize any guaranteed bonuses over the length of the contract (including option years). They most obvious sort of "guaranteed" bonus is one that's already been paid: a signing bonus. So, if the term of Hassli's contract was 2+1 years then that might imply that Vancouver paid him $720,000 bonus back when he joined the league in 2011. So the higher guaranteed compensation, quoted by Davidson and around the TFC internet, as "how much he was paid in 2012" could, in fact, be an artifact of that. That would mean that Hassli was paid total compensation of ~$1.4mil back in 2011 but now costs a little over a third of that. I could be wrong but this sort of contract structure is probably pretty typical when trying to lure players to the league (and comparable to what the Generation adidas program does to encourage undergrads into the league early): the player gets a large portion of money up front to mitigate the risk of coming to a new continent.

So yeah, I can see why a cash and allocation rich FCD who also got the budget space back for Brek Shea and need forwards would want Hassli on $550,000. He'll probably score a bunch of goals for them and hardly breaks the bank if the I/O contribution to his salary is only another paltry $200,000. It's only the structure of the rest of TFC's salary budget that makes him look like a luxury here. We'll see how TFC does trying to find a more economical replacement; finding forwards to will adapt to MLS is always hit and miss.

My understanding is that TFC picked up Hassli's team option for 2013, and any bonus paid would have been in original guaranteed part of the contract. So I think Davidson is correct that Hassli's salary is in fact 790k guaranteed for 2013, though we will find out when MLSPA releases salary figures in may-june.

Here is the list of players in Orlando with Toronto. Anyone know where Derrick Bassi has been since being released by Vancouver? Also anyone know when and how Bassi, Daniel Fabrizi and Jonathan Osorio joined the academy? Fabrizi and Osorio played for SC Toronto last year. At 21 years of age it seems odd that Toronto would be giving them a spot in the academy.

NUMBER - NAME - POSITION

2 - Logan Emory - D

3 - Danny Califf - D

4 - Doneil Henry - D

5 - Ashtone Morgan - D

6 - Gale Agbossoumonde - D

8 - Kyle Bekker - M

9 - Emery Welshman - F

11 - Luis Silva - M

12 - Joe Bendik - GK

14 - Danny Koevermans - F

15 - Matt Stinson - M

17 - Justin Braun - F

19 - Reggie Lambe - F

20 - Jose Gomez - M (*)

21 - Nik Robson - M (*)

22 - Torsten Frings - M

23 - Terry Dunfield - M

24 - Stefan Frei - GK

25 - Jeremy Hall - D

26 - Ashton Bennett - F (*)

27 - Richard Eckersley - D

28 - Taylor Morgan - F (*)

31 - Joevin Jones - D/M (T)

32 - Andrew Wiedeman (F)

35 - Jonathan Osorio - M (A)

36 - Daniel Fabrizi - D (A)

37 - Derrick Bassi - D (A)

40 - Quillan Roberts - GK

48 - Darren O'Dea - D

55 - Julio Cesar - M

* Supplemental Draft Pick

A Academy Player

T Trialist

Dam. We were all high on that one slide tackle he made on Raheem Sterling. lol

I'm hoping/assuming he left on his own free will. With Eddie Edgar he should have some solid connections in England to work out something. Let's face it, Ashtone Morgan is here for the foreseeable future and they aren't going to give a deal to Pasher... it's time to move on for him.

I'm hoping/assuming he left on his own free will. With Eddie Edgar he should have some solid connections in England to work out something. Let's face it, Ashtone Morgan is here for the foreseeable future and they aren't going to give a deal to Pasher... it's time to move on for him.

You're probably right. My guess is TFC released him because he probably didn't want to sign another academy contract (he's turning 19 this year). Might have even been thinking he would be able to showcase himself at the U20 WC this summer (Ooops).

You're probably right. My guess is TFC released him because he probably didn't want to sign another academy contract (he's turning 19 this year). Might have even been thinking he would be able to showcase himself at the U20 WC this summer (Ooops).

That's not out of the question either. Pasher wasn't in the CONCACAF U17 team but was in the World Cup squad, maybe he is trialling in Europe at this time.

Trialists Beaulieu Bourgeault and Norwegian defender Henrik Robstad are with TFC in Orlando, Cabrera is no longer with the club.

Shame he wasn't with the team earlier given how long he's been off of club football. Could be a kind of Jaime Peters thing though it seems he kept himself fit at least. He didn't impress me much in January.

Shame he wasn't with the team earlier given how long he's been off of club football. Could be a kind of Jaime Peters thing though it seems he kept himself fit at least. He didn't impress me much in January.

I think JBB actually did alright in the January camp. Never stood out but never looked out of place, which is his style of play. Would like to see him catch on and provide some holding midfield depth.

I am not worried about his fitness after the Canada camp he is probably up to speed with the rest of the guys. Peters looked like he had a gut when I saw the Whitecaps highlights.

I think JBB actually did alright in the January camp. Never stood out but never looked out of place, which is his style of play. Would like to see him catch on and provide some holding midfield depth.

I am not worried about his fitness after the Canada camp he is probably up to speed with the rest of the guys. Peters looked like he had a gut when I saw the Whitecaps highlights.

My thoughts exactly. I also thought he looked better than Dunfield. I hope things work out for him in Toronto.

Archived