Toronto FC changes for 2013

Loud Mouth Soup

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In fact Ashton was thought to be potentially a top 10 pick if he wasn't intending or thought to intend to sign in Europe. The last Ives mock had him at #9. If he does sign then he's a great value pick.

Saw this on the RPB board: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2013/01/22/3287611/bennett-taken-by-toronto-fc-in.html

It seems that contrary to reports, Bennett plans to play in MLS with an eye to Europe in the future. If it's true that he fell so far over concerns he'd be a wasted pick, then that link seems to suggest TFC just lucked into a very good player.

I think he fell because teams see something in him that won't translate to the next level. Chris Thomas, who was top scorer in the nation, also fell into the supplemental draft. From the highlights I've seen Bennett looks like a handful but it's also college ball and you can see that his physical maturity is MLS level, the problem is when he gets to MLS are his skills going to match up?

It could also be the fact that he's an '88 and will be a 25 year old rookie this season. That said, last time there was a 25 yr old Jamaican rookie striker in MLS was 2007 when Omar Cummings hit the scene...

Oh, wow didn't realize he was an 88 then yes that would explain it.

^ Yep. I would preferably play him a little less advanced than he was last night and have him drop deep to connect the dots. Tactical choice last night was understandable though, given our situation.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd heavily expect he's starting at this point. TFC is in terrible need of wide players though, hope they have some ideas.

^ Yep. I would preferably play him a little less advanced than he was last night and have him drop deep to connect the dots. Tactical choice last night was understandable though, given our situation.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd heavily expect he's starting at this point. TFC is in terrible need of wide players though, hope they have some ideas.

True. Last night he had some nice swing passes to change the point of attack but that relies on having wingers who can receive long bomb passes.

TFC better get things moving and sign some wingers. Right they only have Reggie Lamb, who proved last year he is a bench player in MLS at best, and Welshman, who can play on the wing but is a forward. This seems like a return to 2-3 years ago when players were joining the team when the season was only days away.

Bekker might be best suited out wide actually, maybe on the left so he can cut in on his right

So far haven't seen ability to take on a player 1v1, which you need to be a winger, even wide midfielder. Unless Kevin Payne signs some wingers, looks like TFC will be playing some sort of 4-4-2 diamond or similar formation without wingers.

TFC seem to have more employees than any other MLS team, yet they do a terrible jobs with club news. THey havent even released what players are going to the training camp in Florida, what players will be on trial. Last year they said at the beginning of the season it would be a priority for them to give more coverage of their academy teams. Did they follow through? Of course not. It's next to impossible to find out anything about their academy teams/players usually aside from going to the SUM cup or some CSL game report.

I read somewhere (maybe on this board?) that Hassli was not in shape when he came to camp. Presumably it also wouldn't be any of the Canadian players that were at the National team camp (which is most of the Canucks on TFC), since they wouldn't have been at the TFC camp when it started (hence why only Welshman & Roberts were there for "media day" in terms of Canadian players).

Other than that, who knows.

What a **** show.

“We’re not interested in 33-year-old halfway-over-the hill EPL (English Premier League) players,” Payne said.

At least we know how he was so successful in his previous MLS clubs. He doesn't have his head up his arse hoping that some aging player will be the club's saviour.

“We’re not interested in 33-year-old halfway-over-the hill EPL (English Premier League) players,” Payne said.

At least we know how he was so successful in his previous MLS clubs. He doesn't have his head up his arse hoping that some aging player will be the club's saviour.

I was referring to the multiple players showing up out of shape.

But yes, Kevin Payne knows better. He was one of the pioneers of recruiting South Americans to MLS. His recruitment of Etcheverry, Moreno, Gomez, Fred etc. led to DC becoming a powerhouse last decade.

Let's see what he gets back. Maybe we have to eat some of Hassli's salary (say $100k) in allocation but we do free up an international spot and a DP spot. The other thing is that we can still buy out Koev's contract too if we trade Hassli.

If we're able to buy out Koev, trade Hassli and still fill out the roster then we should be in a good position to make a few more moves and clean up the travesty of budget distribution that Mariner and Winter built for us.

Archived