Toronto FC changes for 2013

Loud Mouth Soup

How about Aron Winter? And what about Preki? Thats the guy who came in with a team that barely missed the play offs and promptly tore it all up and replaced skilled players with with completely unskilled stiffs (like Hscanovic and Usanov) who like to run around like chickens with their heads cut off and collect red cards.

With Aron Winter we at least had domestic & Champions league success and the team was much more entertaining to watch most nights than under Mariner.

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If anyone has the time, I'd love to see the w-d-l records for all of the TFC coaches to see by the numbers where they all rank.

Head coaches

As of November 16, 2012

Coach From To Record1

G W L T Win %

Mo Johnston August 22, 2006 February 1, 2008 30 6 17 7 20.00

John Carver February 1, 2008 April 25, 2009 36 11 15 10 30.56

Chris Cummins April 29, 2009 October 24, 2009 31 12 11 8 38.71

Preki November 19, 2009 September 14, 2010 32 11 11 10 34.38

Nick Dasovic September 14, 2010 January 6, 2011 10 3 4 3 30.00

Aron Winter January 6, 2011 June 7, 2012 64 18 25 21 28.13

Paul Mariner June 7, 2012 Present 28 6 14 8 21.43

1.^ Includes league, playoff, Canadian Championship and CONCACAF Champions League games.

According to BBC, "QPR may insist he stays with them until the end of the season in May."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20946699

That would be interesting to see how that plays out.

Just listened to the introduction press conference.

Its a pretty weird situation. They are unsure of when exactly Nelsen will take over.

I guess they wanted to be rid of Mariner that badly that they couldn't wait.

with Fran O'Leary being named as the assistant coach it will be interesting to see what job they find next for Brennan, he pretty much has had every job available, he probably will be bumped back down to the Academy, or the new tea lady!

Nelson has been a leader on the field hopefully he can bring his leadership qualities to the sidelines.

Just listened to the introduction press conference.

Its a pretty weird situation. They are unsure of when exactly Nelsen will take over.

I guess they wanted to be rid of Mariner that badly that they couldn't wait.

My favorite quote from the BBC article:

"They understand that when I play I am playing on glass knees and glass ankles. It is a bit of a struggle" Wow, I guess it is time for this guy to get off the field for good!

So TFC have a new head coach without any coaching experience, no coaching badges, and isn't availble until the team he is currently playing for end thier season, are officially safe from relegation or (more likley) offically relegated so wont be availble for the draft or pre-season.

Their assistant got his pro license 2 days ago and boasts experience coach NCAA div 3.

The sad thing is this might actaully be an improvement for TFC.

To obtain your UEFA Pro Licence, which takes 2 years to complete and before one can take this licence they must hold their UEFA A Lic. for 2 years before taking their Pro Lic. and before their UEFA A Lic. they must hold their UEFA B Lic. O'Leary has very strong coaching certification and has coached at NCAA D1 level and he will understand the draft system which is next week in Indianapolis: Nelson is under contract as a player with QPR, he can retire at anytime, he will be in Toronto full time by the end of January.

Lets try and look for the positives and not the negatives, save the negatives for October when the outcome will be there in stats.

DC won the MLS Cup with a coach that had no experience at MLS level.....having a coaching Licence does not guarantee success, just look at the 7 previous coaches, they all had top coaching certification and failed, especially Winter......though MO probably only had a drivers licence!

So TFC have a new head coach without any coaching experience, no coaching badges, and isn't availble until the team he is currently playing for end thier season, are officially safe from relegation or (more likley) offically relegated so wont be availble for the draft or pre-season.

Their assistant got his pro license 2 days ago and boasts experience coach NCAA div 3.

The sad thing is this might actaully be an improvement for TFC.

O'Leary coaches at Div 1 George Mason being replaced in 2005 by Greg Andrulis freshly fired by the Columbus Crew...

In 1996, the Columbus Crew of Major League Soccer hired Andrulis as the top assistant to head coach Tom Fitzgerald. Andrulis became the Crew's interim coach midway through the 2001 season, after Fitzgerald was fired. He was hired as permanent head coach after the season. In 2002, he led the Crew to its first title, the US Open Cup. In 2004, Andrulis took the Crew on a league-record streak without a loss, and was named MLS Coach of the Year. Following up on a disappointing playoff appearance in 2004, in 2005, Columbus got off to a slow start at 4-10-2, and Andrulis was fired. His assistant, Robert Warzycha led the team for the remainder of the '05 season in an interim role.

On August 17, 2005, George Mason University hired Andrulis as head coach of the men's soccer team.[3] In 2006, he led George Mason to its first NCAA tournament bid in 20 years.

So the assistant coming to TFC was replaced in one of his jobs by a MLS coach of the year at George Mason.

Andrulis has a record at George Mason of Career at Mason 74-59-19 .549 over eight years.

From 2001 to 2005, he ( O'Leary ) served as the head men's soccer coach at George Mason University. He posted a career record of 160-96-32

http://www.gomason.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=606456&SPID=80375&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=25200&ATCLID=205048156

Aug. 10, 2005

Assistant Vice President/Director of Athletics Tom O'Connor announced that men's soccer coach Fran O'Leary has resigned and has accepted the head coaching position at Bowdoin College in Maine for personal reasons.

"Fran did a tremendous job with the program in his four years at Mason," said O'Connor. "We appreciated his loyalty and enthusiasm to the job, but obviously we understand this move is necessary for strong personal reasons and we wish best of luck to him and his family."

"I'm appreciative of all the support I received from the administration and the community here at Mason," said O'Leary. "I truly enjoyed coaching here and will have good memories to take with me. But, a return to the New England area is what I need to do in the best interest of my family."

The 42-year-old O'Leary leaves Mason with a 34-33-12 record, including a 11-6-6 mark in 2003 and the first time since the 1995 season the Patriots had advanced to the CAA title contest. Mason also recorded a 7-1-4 record at home that season, which is just the third time since 1992 where the Patriots have won seven or more contests at George Mason Field.

In O'Leary's first two seasons at Mason he coached two straight Colonial Athletic Association Rookies of the Year, John O'Hara, who became the first Patriot to earn the honor, and Damian O'Rourke became the second the following year. O'Hara had an illustrious four-year career and was selected Third Team Preseason All-America by College Soccer News in 2004. He earned All-Colonial Athletic Association honors for all four years and was chosen to participate in the MLS Combine. He also coached two more conference honorees as Teba McKnight earned CAA All-Second Team honors and Brian Barry-Austin was named to the conference all-rookie team in 2004.

Perhaps some of you Red Patch boys will do some research on the folks your club has hired before you think they just fell off a Turnip Truck.

Indeed O'Leary has about 10 years of NCAA DIV 1 experience at Dartmouth and George Mason, however for the past 7 years he has been coaching at Bowdoin in Div 3. 7 years is a long time to be out of top level soccer.

I fail to see the relevance of the credentials of the person (Andrulis) who replaced him in 2006 has to do with anything. If you repalced Mariner with Mourinho would that somehow make Mariner a better coach?

For the sake of the franchise, I hope Payne doesn't end up being TFC's Bryan Colangelo.

This move is totally risky.

But I can't help thinking, how bad did Payne rate Mariner that he would pull this move. It says a lot about how awful Mariner is, in my opinion.

For the sake of the franchise, I hope Payne doesn't end up being TFC's Bryan Colangelo.

This move is totally risky.

But I can't help thinking, how bad did Payne rate Mariner that he would pull this move. It says a lot about how awful Mariner is, in my opinion.

With Brian Burke's firing today, Maybe these moves (ie Payne hiring and Mariner and Burke firing) are all part and parcel of the new ownership putting its stamp on the teams. The new owners officially took over in September. Probably not a coincidence.

TFC is insane if they are going to trade away the Farrell pick because of Califf and Agbossamounde. Take Farrell and play him at DM if he can't beat out O'Dea or Califf for the starting spot. They can grab Lopez or Alvarez at 3 and all of a sudden the midfield is looking a whole lot better.

Archived