Toronto FC changes for 2013

Loud Mouth Soup

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the thinking is that so many of the top picks this year are supposed to be centre backs, so now TFC can trade the number one for a pick further down plus a player. That should let them get an MLSer and the pick further down will still let them grab a good-ish young striker/midfielder.

Count me as skeptical, to say the least. It's nice to pick up another prospect but I don't see him as an answer. He's probably less game ready than Zimmerman or Farrell, I wouldn't pass up the chance to add a defender in the draft.

Straight up the middle this team is still incredibly slow, which was a huge problem last year, and Califf didn't make that any better. As it stands, I think we are going to struggle.

On the RPB forum they're estimating that we have about $550k of space left to fill out the roster with 7 spots. If we do draft 2 GA players, we should be able to have just over $100k/player for 5 other players. That should afford us some pretty reasonable depth. This list also has Henry, Morgan & Silva in our 20-30 spot so we could also have academy players in a few of those spots too but that won't help us much this season.

GA players don't count towards the cap my friend.

If we do draft them, toronto will still have that estimated $550k to play with. Depth shouldnt be a problem this year for TFC considering the the leverage they have, its getting the right players.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow.

Good news?

Well the merry go round continues. now when this guys gets off to a slow start, the natives (its usually kids) will get restless again. And once again, its back to square one. there is no way any team can improve under this kind of environment. You need stability in any organization.

Like or not, Mariner has track record in this league. As an assistant he took teams to the finals. three times unless i am mistaken. He suddenly, didnt get stupid. What kind of track record does this new guy have? at first glance, its no better than any of the previous whatever number of guys that they have put in charge.

At some point, you have to hire someone and stick with him. No organization in any sport never mind business, can succeed in this fashion.

PS.: been thinking. I have now lost count of the number of GM's & coaches etc that this club has gone through in 6 six years

No experience, now manager.

WTF?

Yup WTF is right. they have have canned all the guys with coaching experience. Now thy have learned their lesson are are going for someone with no experience. once they can this guy, they will hand the job to Big bird of sesame street fame.

As an assistant he took teams to the the finals.

And as a head coach he has a track record being very bad. In 50 matches he has 13 wins. At what point do you say he doesn't have what it takes to be head coach, when he is has 26 wins in 100 matches?

How much experience did Piotr Nowak and Ben Olsen have when they were hired by Payne?

While this guy doesn't have any experience, it's worth noting the guy who hired him does and has a decent track record of picking up people.

Can't believe anybody would stump for Mariner. I have never seen anyone who was such an unmitigated disaster in a head coaching post.

I have never seen anyone who was such an unmitigated disaster in a head coaching post.

How about Aron Winter? And what about Preki? Thats the guy who came in with a team that barely missed the play offs and promptly tore it all up and replaced skilled players with with completely unskilled stiffs (like Hscanovic and Usanov) who like to run around like chickens with their heads cut off and collect red cards.

And as a head coach he has a track record being very bad. In 50 matches he has 13 wins. At what point do you say he doesn't have what it takes to be head coach, when he is has 26 wins in 100 matches?

How much experience did Piotr Nowak and Ben Olsen have when they were hired by Payne?

Of course, Nowak had Nelsen the player, Olsen the player, Jaime Moreno, Christian Gomez and a guy Toronto would have only faint familiarity with (since he was but a faint resemblence to the 2004 version) Alec Eskandarian. I think Toronto does need experience with its roster, but I think Nelsen a better choice than most if taking a former player.

Edit: To clarify, replacing Mariner is not a mistake, but replacing him with a Novice Coach may be.

How about Aron Winter? And what about Preki? Thats the guy who came in with a team that barely missed the play offs and promptly tore it all up and replaced skilled players with with completely unskilled stiffs (like Hscanovic and Usanov) who like to run around like chickens with their heads cut off and collect red cards.

Well I guess this is the fun part of comparing TFC coaches, you have quite the contest in terms of who’s the worst. Of the ones you’ve listed, I’d still put down Mariner as the worst.

I had written a longer post but I cut it down. Let me paraphrase as this: He combined Aron Winter’s inflexibility of formations with Mo Johnston’s fluid sense of playing people out of position. His evaluation of player performances is bizarre (Aron Maund continually starting?). Terrible in the transfer market. Hot head behind the bench and when dealing with people.

I couldn’t conclusively say he’s the worst in any area, but he was truly bad at multiple aspects of his job. You put all that together, and I think only Mo Johnston was worse. At least the other guys could find something to latch onto. Mariner just entirely came across as overwhelmed, panicky, and incapable of doing his job.

If anyone has the time, I'd love to see the w-d-l records for all of the TFC coaches to see by the numbers where they all rank.

Wow.

Good news?

The departure of Mariner is definitely good news in my book. Obviously the jury is out from hiring someone with no coaching experience, but he can't possibly be worse than Mariner in terms of the way the team played (both results and how entertaining a product it was). He could be possibly just as bad, but no way could he be worse.

Archived