Steven Vitória

Yohan

I don't care whether using him or not using him on the CMNT will help future players decide/not decide to play for us.

All I care about is that I will never cheer for him and I sincerely hope he gets excessively booed on the following days:

May 9th

July 18th

August 22nd

October 3rd

Fuck him.

To each their own.

If I get a chance to see him live this season, i'll be too busy examining his preformance to boo him. Very curious to see how compares to what we currently have. My guess is that he's somewhere up there between Jakovic and Edgar. Very excited to see how he stacks up

Putting his trechory behind us for a second, I suspect he'd address some major issues for us (if he's interested in coming on board).

Firstly, set pieces. From what i've read he is a threat both on the ball and off the ball. A 6'5 guy on corner kicks is never a bad thing, and we can always use another option for free kicks aside from De Jong (who btw is awesome at hitting dead balls).

Secondly, flexibility. Having another guy who can slot into CB can free up Edgar to shift to RB (not ideal but better than Henry) or CDM (an upgrade to Straith). Or, simply pairing him with Edgar in CB could work too. Both are big boys.

To each their own.

If I get a chance to see him live this season, i'll be too busy examining his preformance to boo him. Very curious to see how compares to what we currently have. My guess is that he's somewhere up there between Jakovic and Edgar. Very excited to see how he stacks up

Putting his trechory behind us for a second, I suspect he'd address some major issues for us (if he's interested in coming on board).

Firstly, set pieces. From what i've read he is a threat both on the ball and off the ball. A 6'5 guy on corner kicks is never a bad thing, and we can always use another option for free kicks aside from De Jong (who btw is awesome at hitting dead balls).

Secondly, flexibility. Having another guy who can slot into CB can free up Edgar to shift to RB (not ideal but better than Henry) or CDM (an upgrade to Straith). Or, simply pairing him with Edgar in CB could work too. Both are big boys.

might be a dumb experiment, but I'd like to try Jakovic at DM. limits his bonehead positioning mistakes, still knows basics of defending, plus he can pass decently. 

My guess is that he's somewhere up there between Jakovic and Edgar. Very excited to see how he stacks up

And on what exactly would you be basing that on?  The fact that he's on the books with Benfica?  We've had tonnes of players attached to great teams that haven't amounted to much.  Dichiara is a good example.

There's just a good a chance that he wouldn't be good enough to crack our backline as he is to be as good as Jakovic/Edgar.

Edit: it's also interesting to note the effort people here are putting into changing formations to accomodate a guy who has played about as much first team football as Straith over the last little while.

Edited by El Hombre

And on what exactly would you be basing that on?  The fact that he's on the books with Benfica?  We've had tonnes of players attached to great teams that haven't amounted to much.  Dichiara is a good example.

There's just a good a chance that he wouldn't be good enough to crack our backline as he is to be as good as Jakovic/Edgar.

Edit: it's also interesting to note the effort people here are putting into changing formations to accomodate a guy who has played about as much first team football as Straith over the last little while.

Vitoria had 2 great seasons with Estoril in Portugal. a lot of Portuguese league followers speak well of him, and it's hard to crack into a talented Benfica team

let's see how Vitoria does with Philly and rate just how good he is. 

Vitoria had 2 great seasons with Estoril in Portugal. a lot of Portuguese league followers speak well of him, and it's hard to crack into a talented Benfica team

let's see how Vitoria does with Philly and rate just how good he is. 

Sure.  One of those seasons was in the Segunda Liga too.  Also, during those same two years where Vitoria was doing well in Portugal, Simeon Jackson was playing in the EPL.

I agree, lets wait to see how he does with Philadelphia before begging him to come back.  Also remember that MLS is a league where Dan Gargan made 28 appearances last year for the MLS champions.

Sure.  One of those seasons was in the Segunda Liga too.  Also, during those same two years where Vitoria was doing well in Portugal, Simeon Jackson was playing in the EPL.

I agree, lets wait to see how he does with Philadelphia before begging him to come back.  Also remember that MLS is a league where Dan Gargan made 28 appearances last year for the MLS champions.

ya but vitoria performed well in the Portuguese top flight during that year. Simeon barely played...

If he shows well for philly call him up to the friendly to evaluate him. if he refuses, no harm no foul.  If he accepts for the friendly at least he shows some dedication to the NT and doesn't just jump on board for the WCQ. 

Also the reason he chose Portugal was because Canada never once called him to play u15 or u17 or attend any ID camps. Part of the problem was he was just playing rep soccer with woodbridge and wasn't ID'd until he had signed in Portugual. With all the academies and L1O that would never happen today. And he probably would've been ID'd before he made the jump to Portugual 

Vitoria says that while he was in Canada, he was never approached about playing for the national team.

"To be honest, when I was there for the 18 years that I lived there ... I played soccer for a while, right?" he said. "I was never asked ... no one really bothered with me and then after I signed here in Portugal that's when all of a sudden everyone started caring.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/2007/06/29/portuguese_star_happy_to_play_at_home.html

Also from 2012.... 

Me thinks now that Floro will be giving him a call, given his club situation is in North America, at least for the year, he's going to be playing a lot closer in North America. 

Toronto-born Steven Vitoria, who has represented Portugal at the under-20 level, is reconsidering his international status with regards to playing for Canada’s national senior team.

“I always leave the doors open for my career. It’s true that I am out of the country but I don’t forget where I was born,” Vitoria told Sportsnet.

Canadian coach Stephen Hart admits that Vitoria is a player of interest and even invited Vitoria to train with the Canadian team back in 2011.

“We invited Steven to a training camp in Turkey just before our World Cup campaign got underway. He declined and we left it at that,” Hart said.

Vitoria admits that his club career remains his number one priority at the moment, but with his chances of being called up by Portugal fading, he’s expressed interest in playing for his birth nation.

“I would never rule out playing for Canada,” Vitoria stated.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2014-world-cup/csa-canada-soccer-steven-vitoria/

Edited by king1010

I am making an educated guess based on the information I have about him. It's about all most of us can do since many have not seen him play.

Very valid point though - a lot of our players have been attached to great teams without making an impact. That makes it hard to know, but at least we'll get to see for ourselves in the coming months!

"To be honest, when I was there for the 18 years that I lived there ... I played soccer for a while, right?" he said. "I was never asked ... no one really bothered with me and then after I signed here in Portugal that's when all of a sudden everyone started caring.

I'm assuming he's suggesting he should have been involved in the one of the NT youth programs at some point?  

Sadly, that quote says it all though.  It's just one of those things that you either you get it or you don't.    

Every player would jump ship to play in the world cup.

Gareth Bale instantly leaps to mind to when I see that argument presented.  Some would say he's the exception that proves the rule.  But still, there it is.  QUITE the exception.

Just nit picking.  Carry on.

Gareth Bale instantly leaps to mind to when I see that argument presented.  Some would say he's the exception that proves the rule.  But still, there it is.  QUITE the exception.

Just nit picking.  Carry on.

I wonder if Bale has any second thoughts though. He made his decision at young age, and being one of best players in his position in the world, he may never get to play in a major int tourney. 

Hard to be sitting in the locker room when your teammates talk to you about their experience of playing in the World Cup and such, and knowing you may never get the chance. 

• jordan changed the title to Steven Vitória