Steven Vitória

Yohan

While this comment is only marginaly related to the topic of this thread, I can't help but point out that the concept of 1st and 2nd CB's is outdated. Germany won the WC precisely because they DIDN'T subscribe to this mantra.

Pick the team according to the opponent. Teams do this all the time on offence. Boateng and Hummels may have started the final, but Mertesacker was instrumental as well.

Any one of the CB's mentioned could be the right choice, in variouis combinations, depending on the opposition. But none of them, not a single goddamn one of them should play FB at any point.

While this comment is only marginaly related to the topic of this thread, I can't help but point out that the concept of 1st and 2nd CB's is outdated. Germany won the WC precisely because they DIDN'T subscribe to this mantra.

Pick the team according to the opponent. Teams do this all the time on offence. Boateng and Hummels may have started the final, but Mertesacker was instrumental as well.

Any one of the CB's mentioned could be the right choice, in variouis combinations, depending on the opposition. But none of them, not a single goddamn one of them should play FB at any point.

Germany also started with Höwedes and Boateng at LB and RB, 2 players who are at first CB. So, I don't see why we shouldn't put them at FB, if they're better than the best we have. Unless, you have a better idea on who to put at right back. If we had a good right back, I would put him there, but we don't have a guy that you can say on the team that I'd proudly say that he's my right back. Fact is our best RB is a CB because we don't have someone better. Ledgerwood is a serviceable player, but not better than the CB we're talking about at RB, so you have to take that into considerations when selecting a team.

Edgar is our best overall defender. That being said we have such a massive hole at RB and relative depth at CB; so my preference is to have him as our RB because it would make our overall strongest team. The drop-off from Edgar to Vitoria or Jakovic at CB isn't as steep as the drop-off from Edgar to anyone we have at RB.

Ya we have a log jam at CB. de jong at LB. But nobody at RB. i could see from Right to left... edgar vitoria jakovic de jong. With hainault and henry first up off the bench.

Henry is a stud but his aggressive rash challengers have PK and red card written all over them on a 40 degree summer night in san pedro sula with 40k hondurans breathing down the refs back.

Of course all this is assuming vitoria is as good as we think he is. If hes not then hes the first to go.

Edited by king1010

Edgar is our best overall defender.  That being said we have such a massive hole at RB and relative depth at CB; so my preference is to have him as our RB because it would make our overall strongest team.  The drop-off from Edgar to Vitoria or Jakovic at CB isn't as steep as the drop-off from Edgar to anyone we have at RB.

I think Hainault played at RB for some of the games in his last season with Houston Dynamo.

Ya we have a log jam at CB. de jong at LB. But nobody at RB. i could see from Right to left... edgar vitoria jakovic de jong. With hainault and henry first up off the bench.

Henry is a stud but his aggressive rash challengers have PK and red card written all over them on a 40 degree summer night in san pedro sula with 40k hondurans breathing down the refs back.

Of course all this is assuming vitoria is as good as we think he is. If hes not then hes the first to go.

Camara might be available to play RB by the group stage????

I think Hainault played at RB for some of the games in his last season with Houston Dynamo.

NO to this...

Camara might be available to play RB by the group stage????

Yes to this....but wheres the truth to this? links?

IMO he has consistently been Montreals best player.

Are people seriously pining for Camara as a RB option? Say he applies for citizenship today (which I do not believe he is eligible for as of today). That means with the typical timeline of getting a passport being ~24 months, Camara can make his debut at the age of 32.

I don't think so....

Camara would be a huge upgrade at right back for us despite one or two bad plays or games that posters seem obsessed with. Very strong player technically who moves the ball well and reacts quick on defence. Better both offensively and defensively than anyone we have at right back right now. Klopas cured him of one of his two bad habits, going to far up the pitch and occasionally scoring but also costing goals by neglecting his defending. His other bad habit is he can be over aggressive at times which could be dangerous with CONCACAF refs though he also draws a lot of fouls against him too. I think there was an interview a few years ago in which he expressed interest both in becoming a Canadian citizen and playing for the national team. He would be a big upgrade for us and is young enough that he could at least tide us over until we can develop a homegrown right back. He can also play CB and midfield.

I still don't know.  I prefer to deal with the options we do have...if Camara comes and knocks on Floro's door, or Floro calls him up and they get the process started immediately, then maybe.

As it stands, until the process is started, or is MUCH further along than where it is now, as a fan I just think of Camilo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just curious, but are any of the Vitoria boosters watching any Philadelphia games?  As I am an expert in hate-watching things, here is what I have concluded:

1) I think it says something that Philadelphia has the worst defense in the league so far.  They've given up almost 2 goals a game, pacing them ahead of TFC and Montreal for that dubious honour.  I know everybody's crazy about playing time being an indicator of ability, but does it really hold as much weight when you are playing 90 minutes on the worst team in the league?

2) He goes down pretty easy, sometimes at the worst time.  See the free kick goal by RSL and Finlay's first goal last weekend.

3) He's not the fleetest of foot.  I think Akindele outpaced him pretty easily on his goal.

Might want to keep these things in mind when slotting him into your starting 11 or assuming that he's better than everything else we have.

Just curious, but are any of the Vitoria boosters watching any Philadelphia games?  As I am an expert in hate-watching things, here is what I have concluded:

1) I think it says something that Philadelphia has the worst defense in the league so far.  They've given up almost 2 goals a game, pacing them ahead of TFC and Montreal for that dubious honour.  I know everybody's crazy about playing time being an indicator of ability, but does it really hold as much weight when you are playing 90 minutes on the worst team in the league?

2) He goes down pretty easy, sometimes at the worst time.  See the free kick goal by RSL and Finlay's first goal last weekend.

3) He's not the fleetest of foot.  I think Akindele outpaced him pretty easily on his goal.

Might want to keep these things in mind when slotting him into your starting 11 or assuming that he's better than everything else we have.

I've asked one of the Philly news people about Vitoria (Kevin Kinkead) and he said while the Philly defense has been garbage, Vitoria himself has been alright. It seems like it is more of a systematic issue than him being terrible.

Having said that, in the games I've watched he has looked pretty meh. Granted being meh is usually good enough to get you onto the Canadian NT.

TFC play philly next I believe. That is when I plan on checking him out. From what i've seen of highlight packages or snooping on Union fan boards, I would say he's been competent but not spectacular. I think he'd be a good addition but whether or not he'd start for us is far from certain. The extra depth could help us move someone like Edgar into midfield or Henry to right back, so the flexibility is a factor. That being said, with Opare to Canada rumors persisting, you never know who the odd man out could be...

Edgar Dejong Henry seem to be our sure starters at the back.  

Jakovic Hainault Ledgerwood are all reasonablly likely options for the 4th spot.  Are Vitoria and Opare better options than these guys?  I doubt it.  Maybe they'll be called to round out the squad but we already have 4 centrebacks playing at an (arguably) higher level than MLS who have years of experience playing with eachother and with Borjan behind them.  

For me personally our backline should look like this (starter/backup);

Henry/Ledgerwood - Haineault/Vittoria - Jakovic/Opare - Adekugbe/Morgan

And then play Edgar as a DM and De Jong at LM.

All of course assuming Vittoria switches, Opare's paperwork goes through and Henry is fit. Just a few "ifs."

Edited by mserson

I'm comfortable with Morgan or Adekugbe as back up LB, but not quite sure i'd be comfortable with either as the starter (unless we are stuck).

DeJong at LM likely relegates Tissot or Teibert to the bench (or Osorio if he plays inverted out wide). I think Tissot would provide the same thing at LM as De Jong and I really don't know if the upgrade is worth pulling him out of LB. But at least the option is there!

Same with Edgar - it's another option but hard to say if it's the best option. If we go with 2 DM's and an AM you'd think Johnson (if fit) would occupy one of those spots, with de Guzman or Hutchinson in the other. If we play Hutch at AM it's basically deGuzman, Piette or possibly Teibert he'd be competing with. My preference would be Hutch-Johnson with Osorio at the top; or Johnson-Teibert with Hutchison at the top...but I will not complain if deGuzman starts at DM...he's proven he deserves it.

• jordan changed the title to Steven Vitória