Steven Vitória

Yohan

I was even there in person to see him do this. And he did all this to play only 63 minutes in the tournament in Montreal as a very bad Portugese team was eliminated from the tournament by Gambia.

Nicely said Grizz. However, I think Portugal were eliminated by Chile. Anybody remember that infamous incident of the player taking the red card away from the ref? Funny stuff.

Nicely said Grizz. However, I think Portugal were eliminated by Chile. Anybody remember that infamous incident of the player taking the red card away from the ref? Funny stuff.

Yes you are right about that, I forgot they went through as a third place team rather undeservedly based on their victory over New Zealand. Actually I have also been thinking a bit about the incident I mentioned with the "Portugese Canadians" as I had pretty much forgotten about it before writing that post. As crappy as it was being yelled at by fellow Canadians in a Canadian stadium because we were Canadian supporters that was only 5 years ago and I can't imagine that happening today. The home support has really grown over the last 5 years.

I remember that Chile-Portugal game fondly. Chile was a very, very good team with Vidal and Sanchez and a few other really good player,Portugal were wildly overrated because they are Portugal and the oddsmakers for the game had Portugal favored and I think Portugals best player couldn't play the game either. Biggest sports punt I've ever made.

Yes you are right about that, I forgot they went through as a third place team rather undeservedly based on their victory over New Zealand. Actually I have also been thinking a bit about the incident I mentioned with the "Portugese Canadians" as I had pretty much forgotten about it before writing that post. As crappy as it was being yelled at by fellow Canadians in a Canadian stadium because we were Canadian supporters that was only 5 years ago and I can't imagine that happening today. The home support has really grown over the last 5 years.

It sucks that happened to you. For what it's worth, I think a fair number of Portuguese Canadians have come around and attended the recent qualifiers in Toronto.

I remember that Chile-Portugal game fondly. Chile was a very, very good team with Vidal and Sanchez and a few other really good player,Portugal were wildly overrated because they are Portugal and the oddsmakers for the game had Portugal favored and I think Portugals best player couldn't play the game either. Biggest sports punt I've ever made.

Yeah, Chile were mesmerizing from the opening football clinic they put on Canada to the brawl with Toronto police...:D

Portugal were super overrated. It's no surprise that Fábio Coentrão is the only guy that made it huge from that team. However, I don't recall him lighting up the U20 World Cup that year the way Vidal, Aguero and Di Maria all did.

I seriously think Canada can overtake Portugal in my lifetime if we fix our flaws and professionalize the game further.

Edited by Macksam

One side of me says to hell with them if they don't want to play for us and the other side says we aren't that deep and need all the players we can get from anywhere even if we have to nationalize them. If nothing else we can use them as yardsticks that the youth that will be our hope know they have to beat out for a position. Nothing wrong with having more quality players around just to push the younger ones to work harder.

I think it might be a good signal to others sitting on the fence as well. You think you can be the next OH? You could just get passed over like all these others as well and miss out being here. Look at the numbers. Out of all those that tried elsewhere how many made it vs how many failed?

• 2 weeks later...

I'd take Vitoria back, if he's willing to commit fully, and give 100% wearing the Maple Leaf.

The choices he made were awful. He was young though, and if he is willing to be a man and correct an earlier mistake in his life by coming and playing for Canada and giving us his all. I would not oppose that one bit. It could show some real growth and character on his part; a new found maturity.

I don't know the entire story detail to detail, but from what I have read it seems most are judging him on choices he made while he was under 20. Can you really judge someone on that? I know personally most people under 20 make one or two bad life choices. It's a shame Vitoria's was spotlighted on a world stage, but at 25 if he wants to commit to Canada and show up when called and earn his place in the National Team: I'm all for it, could set a precedent.

I'd take Vitoria back, if he's willing to commit fully, and give 100% wearing the Maple Leaf.

The choices he made were awful. He was young though, and if he is willing to be a man and correct an earlier mistake in his life by coming and playing for Canada and giving us his all. I would not oppose that one bit. It could show some real growth and character on his part; a new found maturity.

I don't know the entire story detail to detail, but from what I have read it seems most are judging him on choices he made while he was under 20. Can you really judge someone on that? I know personally most people under 20 make one or two bad life choices. It's a shame Vitoria's was spotlighted on a world stage, but at 25 if he wants to commit to Canada and show up when called and earn his place in the National Team: I'm all for it, could set a precedent.

If Portugal was interested in him and he said he would prefer to play for Canada I would agree with you. I think the chances of him choosing Canada over Portugal are slim to zero. I doubt very much he views playing for Portugal as a youthful error or a mistake, it was a career move then and I would be very surprised if he has changed his outlook since. If he thought it were an error why did he not correct the error and play for us in this WCQ? If he plays for us it will be only because he has no future with Portugal.

However, now that we are out of WCQ and he is starting to get back on Portugal's radar, if he were to come out and say I made an error in the past and will commit to Canada now in the rebuilding phase then I would accept him. If he waits to see if he can play for Portugal and won't commit until the next WCQ then I say he has not changed a bit, is as much of an ass as he was before and I hope he never sets foot in this country again let alone represent it in something as prestigious as international football.

Edited by Grizzly

old enough to vote, marry and make other life deciding decisions. old enough to be considered an adult. old enough to man up to your choices and its consequences

If Portugal was interested in him and he said he would prefer to play for Canada I would agree with you. I think the chances of him choosing Canada over Portugal are slim to zero. I doubt very much he views playing for Portugal as a youthful error or a mistake, it was a career move then and I would be very surprised if he has changed his outlook since. If he thought it were an error why did he not correct the error and play for us in this WCQ? If he plays for us it will be only because he has no future with Portugal.

However, now that we are out of WCQ and he is starting to get back on Portugal's radar, if he were to come out and say I made an error in the past and will commit to Canada now in the rebuilding phase then I would accept him. If he waits to see if he can play for Portugal and won't commit until the next WCQ then I say he has not changed a bit, is as much of an ass as he was before and I hope he never sets foot in this country again let alone represent it in something as prestigious as international football.

Too ****ing right. Playing for Canada should mean something, to us of all people.

Damnit, we're almost as bad off as Australia with the amount of players with that (as someone said) mantra. And the sad part is, not a single one of the players is an actual game changer. I don't believe Junior, Jono, or any of these guys on their own would make a difference, but if they all committed at once, the depth and overall strength would improve greatly. Maybe all it would take is one or two of them for the rest to go "hmmm, maybe it's not such a bad idea after all".

Too bad that's only a pipe dream.

Oh, also, am I the only one that is waiting, and hoping that we don't get yet another knife in the back? Like Aleman in a couple years getting first team minutes in Spain and deciding he's Spanish, things, like that? When you start to get used to this treatment, it's sad, but you begin to expect it, too.

There's is next to no chance Vitoria gets called for the Portuguese team while he's playing for Estoril. If he gets sold to one of the big 3 or Braga THEN there is a possibility of a call up. If one of those teams don't think he's good enough to warrant picking him up, then Bento won't either. He was already part of the Porto setup before and he wasn't good enough to get in one competitive game in 4 years for the senior team before they sold him to Estoril.

Not to mention that CB is going to be a real problem position for Portugal in the next couple of years. They have practically no depth there, and the starters they have are suspect a lot of the time. If he isn't in the conversation already, then he probably won't be. He's choosing not playing international football over the CMNT at this point. So forget him.

There's is next to no chance Vitoria gets called for the Portuguese team while he's playing for Estoril. If he gets sold to one of the big 3 or Braga THEN there is a possibility of a call up. If one of those teams don't think he's good enough to warrant picking him up, then Bento won't either. He was already part of the Porto setup before and he wasn't good enough to get in one competitive game in 4 years for the senior team before they sold him to Estoril.

Not to mention that CB is going to be a real problem position for Portugal in the next couple of years. They have practically no depth there, and the starters they have are suspect a lot of the time. If he isn't in the conversation already, then he probably won't be. He's choosing not playing international football over the CMNT at this point. So forget him.

+1. Like England not choosing Grant Holt, a lot of countries don't even look past their top 4, 5 teams when selecting.

vitoria was interviwed by a portuguese newspaper today and laughed at any suggestion he wants to play for canada,he said his dream of playing for portugal has never been stronger or more realistic than it is now

K, let's close the thread and forget about this **** then

• 3 weeks later...

Vitoria had another 2 goal game today.

Palermo is reported to be close to a deal with Estoril to buy Vitoria. They are looking to complete it before the window closes this week. Estoril doesn't want to sell, but it's the last year of his contract.

Source

Siena were also interested in Vitoria.

Source

Both teams are looking to bolster their lineups to avoid regelation in Serie A.

Vitoria had another 2 goal game today.

Palermo is reported to be close to a deal with Estoril to buy Vitoria. They are looking to complete it before the window closes this week. Estoril doesn't want to sell, but it's the last year of his contract.

Source

Siena were also interested in Vitoria.

Source

Both teams are looking to bolster their lineups to avoid regelation in Serie A.

His two goals were both penalties though.

• jordan changed the title to Steven Vitória