Steven Vitória

Yohan

Good. The date at the top was confusing me. THat makes more sense, disregard...I was simply searching and found it, and it's just a timestamp. My bad.

No worries. The fact that Vittoria said and felt that way at the time goes to show his true allegiance at the time. If he changes his tune, that's up for the coach to decide. BTW I found it strange about any comparison with Radzinski, who snubbed the MNT in the early 2000s. While part of that is true (he didn't like Holger and preferred to concentrate on club football), he did play in the GC 1997 for Canada before returning to the MNT when Yallop was coach.

Radzinski had quite a few people upset that he refused some MNT call-ups, but it's important to note that he was an elite player and that his return benefited Canada a lot.

But it also depends on how you were raised surely. I have 3 nationalities bit feel mostly Canadian. My dad can't see how I do considering that's the one nationality I don't technically have any blood from, but born on Ottawa and lived in barrhaven until I was 10. I have cousins in Canada who have lived there their whole lives but feel more Italian because they live in an Italian community and are raised in a huge Italian family. My stepmom was born in Portugal to only Portuguese parents, she moved to Canada when she was 10 and she's embraced her canadianness loads. It's never as black and white as it seems unfortunately. Hamit altintop may well have been raised in a hugely Turkish family and so he feels more Turkish than German. Same with vittoria, Toronto has a massive Portuguese community and he just feels more in touch with his Portuguese roots

To my mind that is fair ball, I might not like the decision but it is reasoned and based on something that I can understand. What I can't stand are those who say that they chose another country because they feel they were snubbed in the U16 selection process (or some other minor slight), those who say if Canada reaches this level they might seriously consider declaring for Canada or those who go back and forth (I'm for the Czechs/Portugese/Welsh no I'm for Canada. no I'm for...).

When JDG2 said he wanted to play for the Dutch, because he had been in the country since he was 13 it wasn't the decision I wanted him to make but that was a legitimate reason, the hedgeing back to maybe Canada if they make the hex ticked me off then the turn back to the Dutch again recently showed that the talk about the Hex was simply hot air. Make the decision then stick with it, the back and forth causes more ill will than the decision itself. Also own the decision, what ever it is, blaming the CSA, solar flares or whatever causes ill will too.

When JDG2 said he wanted to play for the Dutch, because he had been in the country since he was 13 it wasn't the decision I wanted him to make but that was a legitimate reason, the hedging back to maybe Canada if they make the hex ticked me off then the turn back to the Dutch again recently showed that the talk about the Hex was simply hot air. Make the decision then stick with it, the back and forth causes more ill will than the decision itself. Also own the decision, what ever it is, blaming the CSA, solar flares or whatever causes ill will too.
Amen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't want him. We have plenty of MLS-calibre centre backs. We can afford to take a stand here. Let's show some pride in our colours rather than meekly grovel before everyone who's ever pissed in our faces.

TBF depending on how he plays I'd take him over a Jakovic. I like Jako but his defensive lapses are ridiculous sometimes.

I don't want him. We have plenty of MLS-calibre centre backs. We can afford to take a stand here. Let's show some pride in our colours rather than meekly grovel before everyone who's ever pissed in our faces.

My heart wants to take a stand ... but why should we when very few other countries are?  Right now, I'm taking JK's approach:  if anyone genuinely wants to represent us and show up consistently, we'll take you, whatever has happened in the past.

We don't have the depth/young players to turn down Vitoria.  We need more depth if we are going to make a serious run in our competitions.  

It's going to come down to who you would rather have on a WCQ/Gold Cup roster... Manjrejkar James or Steven Vitoria?

We don't have the depth/young players to turn down Vitoria. We need more depth if we are going to make a serious run in our competitions.

It's going to come down to who you would rather have on a WCQ/Gold Cup roster... Manjrejkar James or Steven Vitoria?

I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think we'll see Vitoria as long as he is contractually tied to Benfica. As long as he is still tied to them, he'll probably believe he can get another chance in Portugal. I think it will take a full transfer into MLS before gives up on the Portugese national team.

It's still a positive development for us though. He'll be looking to prove himself to Benfica, who might turn around and sell him to MLS should he do well. Benfica will be looking to recoup the money they paid for him i'd imagine (I am assuming he didn't move from Estroli on a free).

If he can't impress in MLS his Portugese hopes will likely be dashed for good - opening the door for us (that's if we even want him).

The best thing about this is that we get to see him up close and personal. We might even discover he's not even be better than Hainualt or Jakovic!

Back to the transfer thing for a second though - I really think Benfica are shopping him here. Rent before you own sort of thing, you know? Otherwise, they'd loan him to a team in Spain or Portugal where they can track his progress more easily.

I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think we'll see Vitoria as long as he is contractually tied to Benfica. As long as he is still tied to them, he'll probably believe he can get another chance in Portugal. I think it will take a full transfer into MLS before gives up on the Portugese national team.

It's still a positive development for us though. He'll be looking to prove himself to Benfica, who might turn around and sell him to MLS should he do well. Benfica will be looking to recoup the money they paid for him i'd imagine (I am assuming he didn't move from Estroli on a free).

If he can't impress in MLS his Portugese hopes will likely be dashed for good - opening the door for us (that's if we even want him).

The best thing about this is that we get to see him up close and personal. We might even discover he's not even be better than Hainualt or Jakovic!

Back to the transfer thing for a second though - I really think Benfica are shopping him here. Rent before you own sort of thing, you know? Otherwise, they'd loan him to a team in Spain or Portugal where they can track his progress more easily.

I agree with everything you have stated here. 

Canada is no position to turn down anyone! thats just the bare naked truth. 

I think its mandatory for MLS Loan deals to have an option to buy in the loan agreement. 

Realistically Vitoria is 28 this year and only has one more cycle with the Portuguese NT to cement a spot.  And he isn't likely to do that in MLS for 2015... and I really doubt he does it from January to June 2016 but crazier things have happened.  If Portugal hasn't given him a shot yet it's hard to see them doing so in the next 2-3 years.

My heart wants to take a stand ... but why should we when very few other countries are?  Right now, I'm taking JK's approach:  if anyone genuinely wants to represent us and show up consistently, we'll take you, whatever has happened in the past.

We should take a stand because this guy played for a foreign team in a World Cup that was played not only in the country he was born in and grew up in but even in the very city he was born in. That is too high on the traitor index for me to stomach him putting on a Canadian shirt again whether we need him or not.

We should take a stand because this guy played for a foreign team in a World Cup that was played not only in the country he was born in and grew up in but even in the very city he was born in. That is too high on the traitor index for me to stomach him putting on a Canadian shirt again whether we need him or not.

I agree. Fuck him.

Agreed.

I made pretty stupid decisions when I was 18 too. this is 10 years later. At some point its time to let go of the past. 

I think we need to be begging for any players we can get. Have you seen our results lately? 

No, we shouldn't beg players to wear the shirt. Ever. Period.

And I would rather lose games with players who wear the country's badge with honour, than suck up to some snivelling punk who decided Canada was not good enough for him. Plus, His grand total of 7 minutes with Benfica does not require me to blow smoke up his ass.

I find it strange that some will clamour for Vitoria, while ignoring two plenty capable CB's in Edgar and Henry, one of whom has spent more time at a higher club level than Vitoria (albeit not since 2010), and another who just transferred to a higher level 6 weeks ago. Astonishing, really....

• jordan changed the title to Steven Vitória