Steven Vitória

Yohan

At 11min 30second of the above video, Steve explains his reasoning for playing for Portugal over Canada and leaves the door favorably open for a CMNT cap in the future months.  

My two sense - We've heard Steve come out and explain to the media several times now. I cautiously optimistic but this is seemly a step to gain the support of his home nation's fans and teammates. He's very well is building the stage for his debt with the Nats. Much more confident he will be playing for Canada than any of the other fence sitters.

I think it comes down to what country you're playing in.  In England in particular they generally have a more positive view of Canada and North America in general because there's no country that they have closer ties to than Canada and the US.  On continental Europe we enjoy a good reputation but it's not quite the same.

I think we'll see Victoria playing for the CMNT this year to be honest.  Being in MLS changes everything because it is actually looked favorable here to play for us as opposed to in Portugal where the big clubs often prefer Portuguese players first and foremost.  Lets be honest he'd be a first choice player for us if he does decide to suit up.  Edgar has played RB for us and could slide over there and Victoria could pair with Henry in the middle.  That would be a good lineup for us.

I think we'll see Victoria playing for the CMNT this year to be honest.  Being in MLS changes everything because it is actually looked favorable here to play for us as opposed to in Portugal where the big clubs often prefer Portuguese players first and foremost.  Lets be honest he'd be a first choice player for us if he does decide to suit up.  Edgar has played RB for us and could slide over there and Victoria could pair with Henry in the middle.  That would be a good lineup for us.

Agreed on all points.  A back line of De Jong, Vitoria, Henry, Edgar looks pretty darn nice for us, actually.

I think it comes down to what country you're playing in.  In England in particular they generally have a more positive view of Canada and North America in general because there's no country that they have closer ties to than Canada and the US.  On continental Europe we enjoy a good reputation but it's not quite the same.

Edgar been playing DM for Huddersfield lately. If he does move from CB I think Floro will put him as that 1 guy in front of the back 4. Still not sure who our best CB pairing is if he does move. Doesn't look like Henry will be playing much for WHU this season. (Think he should be moved down to the U23s until he does play more). Jakovic's calls seem few and far apart, Straith has played as a DM under Floro and I don't know if someone like Mallan Roberts will get a shot. Will be interesting to see how he lines up the D in the lead up to the Gold Cup.

Edgar been playing DM for Huddersfield lately. If he does move from CB I think Floro will put him as that 1 guy in front of the back 4. Still not sure who our best CB pairing is if he does move. Doesn't look like Henry will be playing much for WHU this season. (Think he should be moved down to the U23s until he does play more). Jakovic's calls seem few and far apart, Straith has played as a DM under Floro and I don't know if someone like Mallan Roberts will get a shot. Will be interesting to see how he lines up the D in the lead up to the Gold Cup.

Throw Hainault into the mix too, but I still think Vitoria-Edgar or Vitoria-Henry is the best we've got right now (assuming Vitoria plays for us), with the odd man out (Edgar or Henry) ending up at RB.

And Jako provides some reasonable cover at a couple of positions.

Agreed on all points.  A back line of De Jong, Vitoria, Henry, Edgar looks pretty darn nice for us, actually.

That looks reallll nice. And have first subs off the bench of Jakovic and Hainault. 

I could even see Edgar at DM with a back 4 of Vitoria, De Jong, Henry (Hainault or Jakovic)

Agree with the no Henry at right back. Guy is a stud at centre back but he's all over the map at RB. 

Also hope De Jong catches on with SKC. Anyone with news on that? I think they want to play him in the midfield. 

Floro must be in contact with Vitoria for the March camp. He said he wants to settle in at Philly first though, not sure if that gives him enough time. 

Edited by king1010

That looks reallll nice. And have first subs off the bench of Jakovic and Hainault. 

I could even see Edgar at DM with a back 4 of Vitoria, De Jong, Henry (Hainault or Jakovic)

Agree with the no Henry at right back. Guy is a stud at centre back but he's all over the map at RB. 

Also hope De Jong catches on with SKC. Anyone with news on that? I think they want to play him in the midfield. 

Floro must be in contact with Vitoria for the March camp. He said he wants to settle in at Philly first though, not sure if that gives him enough time. 

Someone mentioned Vermees likes him and they are taking a long look at him. I think the main hurdle is if they can agree on a salary.

That would be a good way to line them up as well. De Jong is obvious, Vitoria is a left footed CB which is great, Henry can compensate for Vitoria's lack of pace, Edgar was our first choice RB for most of last WCQ cycle.

I like it.

Edgar is far less error prone than Henry, but Henry might be better suited for playing alongside Vitoria because he has zero pace (allegedly). Edgar is not particularly fast either so we could be at risk with a Vitoria-Edgar pairing. Jakovic might even be a good choice to pair with Vitoria. He has enough pace to cover and takes better care of the ball than Henry for the most part.

I think the odd man out might actually be Hainault, but let's see if Vitoria even commits first (I think he will). Also, we might actually find out that Vitoria is inferior to both Edgar and Jakovic (who I think are our two best centre back options - with Henry coming in at number 3).

For me, Jakovic is underrated by the fan base. He gets a bad rep for making errors but I don't think he makes any more errors than Hainault. Plus he is much better on the ball and arguably quicker as well. Both were true starters during their time in MLS, but in recent times Jakovic has been an important piece for his J-league side, while Hainault has been in and out of the line up in the 2. Bundesliga.

I give Jakovic the edge but I am glad we have a guy Hainault and if he can't crack our 18 that would speak volumes of our depth at the back.

I like the idea of trying Jakovic as a RB for us. My preference would be to have Edgar as a CB, but if he keeps getting minutes as DM I wonder if we could see how he fits there for us over the next few friendlies. I've heard Edgar has been pretty poor as a DM for Huddersfield, basically looking like a centre back playing in midfield, so that's a concern though.

Jakovic was a great player a few years ago. has had great comfort with the ball at his feet and 9.5/10 get the ball form the back and into the midfield with ease. I haven't seen a lot of him over the last couple of years so I'm not sure this is still the case. However, he does have the talent. I also really like Edgar but I have seen him make just as many bonehead passes and fouls and probably takes as many cards as Henry. The big difference besides Henry's pace is his aerial ability. Instead, Edgar has much more accuracy with his kick.

Henry is too much of risk to play as CB at this point in his international career.  Henry game isn't suited playing against CONCACAF teams and refs because Henry is very aggressive with his tackles and take risks when he has the ball with his feet.   However, once Henry's game matures and he learns how to play more calmly and smarter than he will be a force as CB for Canada. 

Throw Hainault into the mix too, but I still think Vitoria-Edgar or Vitoria-Henry is the best we've got right now (assuming Vitoria plays for us), with the odd man out (Edgar or Henry) ending up at RB.

And Jako provides some reasonable cover at a couple of positions.

It will be really interesting to revisit these comments once everyone's actually had a chance to see Vitoria play.

Remember, one in the hand is better than two in the bush.  Funny to see players that actually want to play for Canada being shit on for players that no one really knows how good they are.

It will be really interesting to revisit these comments once everyone's actually had a chance to see Vitoria play.

Remember, one in the hand is better than two in the bush.  Funny to see players that actually want to play for Canada being shit on for players that no one really knows how good they are.

I'm not shitting on anyone ... I love Edgar and Henry, and their passion for the Maple Leaf.  Edgar may very well be my favorite CMNT player at the moment.  And Vitoria may be overrated, we'll see.  But he certainly has the pedigree and has performed well at a higher level than Edgar or Henry.  Maybe I'm wrong and our best CB pairing is Edgar-Henry or Edgar-Jako  or  Edgar-Hainault.  I'd love to tell Vitoria (and other players who have passed us over) that we don't need him because we've got loads of better options, but I don't think we're there yet.

Edited by Addona

What Canada needs is an organizer like Big Kev was. All current CBs are 2nd CBs, the guy who needs his partner to be directing other defenders what to do. Maybe Vitoria can play this role. Or not. 

Either way, we need that stud commanding CB who can organize the defence

What Canada needs is an organizer like Big Kev was. All current CBs are 2nd CBs, the guy who needs his partner to be directing other defenders what to do. Maybe Vitoria can play this role. Or not. 

I think as he matures, Henry can be that guy. He is a true enforcer who is a monster both tackling and aerially, with good pace to boot. He's also a pretty fierce competitor by all accounts. I see him as captain material down the road as he reigns in the over-zealousness. It may take him some time to figure it all out, but I think being at West Ham gives him a good chance to develop his footballing brain and technical talent. 

Is Edgar not a "1st" CB?

You can often see him organizing in the back, he's quite vocal.

Edgar is our best overall defender.  That being said we have such a massive hole at RB and relative depth at CB; so my preference is to have him as our RB because it would make our overall strongest team.  The drop-off from Edgar to Vitoria or Jakovic at CB isn't as steep as the drop-off from Edgar to anyone we have at RB.

• jordan changed the title to Steven Vitória