Canada vs Panama Sept. 7th 2012 @BMO Field Game Thread

jpg75

What a great night to be at BMO! We were so nervous for days leading up to this match and when we pulled off the win it was just like a sense of relief! What a celebration after the goal and post game, I just can't imagine how good it will get if we move on! It was awesome to see all of the out of town V's who made their way to Toronto for the match, you guys show so much enthusiasm coming all the way from places like Victoria, Saskatchewan, Ottawa and Montreal! The man hugs were plentiful after the game and we didn't let a few classless Panamanians celebrating a loss get in the way! Some of them really wanted trouble and they picked the wrong guys to mess with! A big thank you to Jamie and all of the people who helped him out, we've come a long way with the hard core support!

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You realize in this scenario, we then just defeat Cuba and hope for a non draw in HON/PAN and we're through. Cause it'd be 11/10/7 going into the last match, putting us 4 clear of 3rd place. A draw would put us 3pts clear them both and we could be in for a 3 way tiebreaker unless we get a result @ Honduras.

I realize also we can tie Cuba and the whole group gets crowded like hell. Anyway after Tuesday we will see more clearly.

I hope that Cuba can eat away 2-3pts from Honduras

CANADA 7(7-8)

Panama 6(9-10)

Honduras 4(7-8)

Cuba 0(0-1)

The table shows the current standings, in the bracket shows total points after 11th Sep game, and second number is after 12th Oct game. Canada drops points to Cuba at home while Hon/Pan DRAW. Honduras will be ahead os us on Goal Diff(currently we are +2 while Honduras +1, but on Tuesday I expect them to score 2-3goals againast Cuba)

16Oct we play Honduras in Honduras.......

I fear when all is said and done it will be:

Canada 3w-2d-1l 11 points for all.

Honduras same

Panama same

Cuba 0-0-6

Comes down to goal difference. This happens if we draw pan, hon beats Cuba. Then we beat Cuba. Pan and hon tie. That leaves us with 11 and panama and Honduras with 8 going to last match.

regardless of what happens during the next three match days, yesterday will go down as one of the greatest football moments of my all life. 113 was amazing. after the goal me and my buddies must have fell two rows in front of us. lost my voice after first half. i truly believe yesterday was a turning in point in Canadian soccer(especially in terms of fan support-huge shout out to jamie).

Lets get this **** done and go to the HEX.

Agree %100. After watching an entire season of dire MLS football at BMO, this was a night to remember. Credit to everyone who sold tickets, organized the banners and other support, and to the capos who kept us singing and bouncing all night!

It's 1 o'clock and I'm only just home and still a bit drunk. WHat an amazing night. Still ahven't actually seen the goal as I wasn't ready for a quickly taken free kick :)

Aside from some bell-ends calling security on me bc I was standing in front of "their seats" in 113, it was one of the best nights of my life!

Aside from some bell-ends calling security on me bc I was standing in front of "their seats" in 113, it was one of the best nights of my life!

Haha pretty much all of row 3 in 114 was cleared out by a bunch of people who just stood there and didn't say a single word all night.

S*** happens I guess (would be more pissed if we didn't win lol)

What the ****? Really?

Haha yeah it was happening all around. The ushers had no idea about anything related to it being semi-general admission (or at least when I and a couple of other people tried to tell him the guy went into his whole "I think I know better than you since I work here" spiel).

I don't remember it ever being a problem before so I'm not sure if that's an usher thing or if its just one of the end results of having more people in our sections.

What a brilliant evening all around. The crowd was loud, the Vs were unbelievable, but I was just as impressed with the rest of the crowd. The crowd was educated, passionate and very into the game. This has been my dream for many, many years as a Canadian footy fan. It seems as though the general public are finally learning what great football they are missing out on.

As for the actual game, wow, I was on the edge of my seat and beyond watching them try and hold on. All my past experiences clouding my judgement, tempering my expectations. Felt like I had to keep telling myself that this was a new Canadian team, a team that can hold a lead. McKenna and Hainault, as has been mentioned, are absolutely anti-air destroyers at the back. Cleaned up the long balls in the last 10 minutes effectively. I will say that I thought Panama never took the opportunity that they can exploit in attacking the wings with pace. The times that they did were when they were most effective. They play almost solely through the middle and work to set up the 1-2 through. I think it's important we are aware defensively of their exploits and really look to congest the middle of the park with our three midfielders.

Offensively I thought there were some bright spots and we should have been up 1-0 on either of the McKenna headers. At home they are barely defensible, away, they are indefensible. Missing free headers from set pieces is not an option if we want to take a draw or better in Panama City. Our aerial ability off of set pieces is one of our greatest strengths in CONCACAF and one we need to exploit away when chances will be fewer and further in between. I thought Johnson whipped in some excellent balls from set pieces that were touches away from scoring and they will need to continue. The free kick was a touch of genius from Atiba, and the calm, assuredness of Dero. After watching the replay, I'm sure some strikers would miss that sitter only because of the circumstances of being so free. Credit to Dero as well.

Overall moving into game 2 of the H and H, I have a hard time believing we will keep a clean sheet. I assume we will bunker and play for a nil-nil draw, but I think Panama has too much class moving forward, to not score at home. Our key is to score first and then defend soundly so as to ensure one goal by Panama still achieves a draw. I was impressed with Simeon at home, but I would place Ricketts in his position and hope to counter fast. Bring in Simeon at around '60 for Olivier and let him run at the Panaminian defense fresh with Ricketts matching his pace on the wing. Though I understand and respect the loyalty and dependability of starting Jazic at LB in Panama, you have to believe that De Jong should be inserted into the Jazic's spot. Bring Jazic in late if we have a one goal lead to bring veteran savvy and stability. De Jong will be ideal for the counterattacking football we'll play in Panama.

Ultimately, we will have to deal with the travel, crowd, referree, pitch conditions and a snarly Panamanian team willing to use every trick in the book against us. Expect play acting, time wasting, etc. The moment we hid the ball under the bench, I knew it was probably going to be a **** show in Panama. I would not be the least bit surprised to see a red card in this game. I almost expect it. Hopefully it's with a one-goal lead at the '75th or later.

Friends, get ready. That was only part one of our Hex qualifying lives. It only gets more intense from here!

enjoyed reading this synopsis....well written and good comments

Opened up the Toronto Star sports section this morning eager to check out the game recap from last night. I flipped through the pages until the very end and realized there wasn't one. No mention of the game at all.

That's strange. The Star had two guys in the press box covering the match, which is one more than they normally send for TFC games.

And their online Sports section has the Canada game as its top story at the moment: http://www.thestar.com/sports

Agree with everything, especially recommended changes to the lineup.

Yes I agree. The only reason I would replace Jazic for DeJong would be because 4 days turnaround isn't quite enough time to be fully fresh I'd think - especially for 35? yr old Jazic - even if he's in the best condition of his life (this is Dobson's favourite talking point, I think I've heard him mention it at least 3 times each the last couple of games.

Yes I agree. The only reason I would replace Jazic for DeJong would be because 4 days turnaround isn't quite enough time to be fully fresh I'd think - especially for 35? yr old Jazic - even if he's in the best condition of his life (this is Dobson's favourite talking point, I think I've heard him mention it at least 3 times each the last couple of games.

Middle-aged guys love it when athletes show longevity. My dad's favourite Bomber for the longest time was the 50-year old punter.

That said, I think Jazic would be OK if called upon. De Jong might have more to offer in the midfield. I suspect the only change we'll see is Johnson's replacement.

Opened up the Toronto Star sports section this morning eager to check out the game recap from last night. I flipped through the pages until the very end and realized there wasn't one. No mention of the game at all.

Yeah I noticed the same thing when I looked at the paper. Must have been a deadline thing because they did not have a result in the Scoreboard either. At first glance it was pretty annoying since they have a half page on Euro WC qualifying results on S2 and not one word about the CMNT. My first reaction was, "What the hell do we have to do to get the media coverage that this game, this team and this sport deserve in this country??" Glad to hear that they caught it in the online edition but this is still an epic fail when you consider how many people read the print edition and never go online. sigh....................

Despite some fans GETTING ANGRY at me for WAVING MY FLAG.. my first game was a blast

Where were you sitting?

It always makes me laugh when people act like they were doing nothing and were singled out for "over supporting" in hopes that no one will ever call them out on their crap.

You couldn't handle your flag. Your flag was too big in length, thickness, and tied to a piece of wood. All these factors made the equivalent of someone spinning a towel over their head. You didn't have the strength to keep it up as it immediately started dropping lower and lower as soon as you picked it up. This resulted in you hitting everyone in the face 3 rows forward and back every single time you waved your flag every 30 seconds. There were at least 2 people around you who covered their face in pain after being hit directly in the eye ball. You were completely oblivious to it all. Still, people put up with your crap. After repeatedly hitting a gentleman in the face every time you swung, he kindly said to you "Hey, higher" and you and your buddy got on the defensive responding with "What? Are you from Panama?". The gentleman was with is father who was clearly an immigrant as his English was rough and spoke Spanish. Ironically, they were there supporting Canada. "You're not Canadian are you?" you and your friend asked over and over making the gentleman uncomfortable. "You're not from here". Then you proceeded to yell "f*ck, South Americans". Finally, after putting up with your crap for nearly the whole game, someone grabbed your flag after it repeatedly smacked them in the face after it was clear your teen noodle arms weren't capable of properly swinging a flag. He said to you "i'm trying to watch the game and you keep smacking me in the face with your flag" in which you responded "you should be honored to smacked in the face with my flag". The people behind you had also had enough as when you and your flag buddy sat down, you both left your wooden sticks up verticallyfeet above your head, blocking their view of the entire match.

This wasn't a flag waving issue, it's a you're a huge prick issue. The people around you started off by being overly reasonable with you. You are not in a supporters section. Flags big enough to obstruct rows of people are not permitted especially on a wooden stick as it's a security issue. If that was someone from the South End, you would never had made it into the building with your wood stick. No one needed to be reasonable with you and they could have just reported you to security, but they were surprisingly patient. Instead, you stuck out clearly as an obnoxious out of towner who couldn't be reasoned with and responded to reasoning with ignorant attitude and prejudice overtones. It's morons like you who ruin it for everyone else who are considerate with their tifo in non supporting sections.

Archived