Canada vs Panama Sept. 7th 2012 @BMO Field Game Thread

jpg75

It always makes me laugh when people act like they were doing nothing and were singled out for "over supporting" in hopes that no one will ever call them out on their crap ...

Wow. Talk about laying the smack down.

The xenophobia part really bugs me because as an immigrant myself I would be incensed if anyone questioned my support for the national team. Hopefully the two gentlemen aren't turned off attending future games.

As for the crowd, huge props to Jaime and whoever else put in the effort towards promoting the game. The atmosphere looked incredible on TV. We finally have an intimidating pro-Canadian environment.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was moving all weekend so just posting now. That was the most fulfilling Canada game i've ever seen live in person. Man, these guys actually did it! The first meaningful win in qualifying in 12 years.

I was getting really nervous from about 65-70 minutes as the Panamanians were starting to get a little more confident coming forward...and then DeRo!

Anyways, the job is only half done. By my math we need to beat Cuba and get at least 1 point on the road at Panama (or Honduras) to have a chance to go through. It's looking like Cuba is probably going to be shutout from getting any points, so we probably need a min. of 11 points to get through. To avoid tiebreak we probably either need to get the draw against Honduras or hope the Panama wins at home against Honduras. A draw in that game (PAN-HON) could lead to a 3-way tie at the top with 11 points and we would get into a tiebreaker scenario.

It always makes me laugh when people act like they were doing nothing and were singled out for "over supporting" in hopes that no one will ever call them out on their crap.

You couldn't handle your flag. Your flag was too big in length, thickness, and tied to a piece of wood. All these factors made the equivalent of someone spinning a towel over their head. You didn't have the strength to keep it up as it immediately started dropping lower and lower as soon as you picked it up. This resulted in you hitting everyone in the face 3 rows forward and back every single time you waved your flag every 30 seconds. There were at least 2 people around you who covered their face in pain after being hit directly in the eye ball. You were completely oblivious to it all. Still, people put up with your crap. After repeatedly hitting a gentleman in the face every time you swung, he kindly said to you "Hey, higher" and you and your buddy got on the defensive responding with "What? Are you from Panama?". The gentleman was with is father who was clearly an immigrant as his English was rough and spoke Spanish. Ironically, they were there supporting Canada. "You're not Canadian are you?" you and your friend asked over and over making the gentleman uncomfortable. "You're not from here". Then you proceeded to yell "f*ck, South Americans". Finally, after putting up with your crap for nearly the whole game, someone grabbed your flag after it repeatedly smacked them in the face after it was clear your teen noodle arms weren't capable of properly swinging a flag. He said to you "i'm trying to watch the game and you keep smacking me in the face with your flag" in which you responded "you should be honored to smacked in the face with my flag". The people behind you had also had enough as when you and your flag buddy sat down, you both left your wooden sticks up verticallyfeet above your head, blocking their view of the entire match.

This wasn't a flag waving issue, it's a you're a huge prick issue. The people around you started off by being overly reasonable with you. You are not in a supporters section. Flags big enough to obstruct rows of people are not permitted especially on a wooden stick as it's a security issue. If that was someone from the South End, you would never had made it into the building with your wood stick. No one needed to be reasonable with you and they could have just reported you to security, but they were surprisingly patient. Instead, you stuck out clearly as an obnoxious out of towner who couldn't be reasoned with and responded to reasoning with ignorant attitude and prejudice overtones. It's morons like you who ruin it for everyone else who are considerate with their tifo in non supporting sections.

Well said. Just to make sure you've got the right guy, is this the culprit (in the white)? If so, he deserves to have his face known.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]783[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]784[/ATTACH]

I was moving all weekend so just posting now. That was the most fulfilling Canada game i've ever seen live in person. Man, these guys actually did it! The first meaningful win in qualifying in 12 years.I was getting really nervous from about 65-70 minutes as the Panamanians were starting to get a little more confident coming forward...and then DeRo!

Anyways, the job is only half done. By my math we need to beat Cuba and get at least 1 point on the road at Panama (or Honduras) to have a chance to go through. It's looking like Cuba is probably going to be shutout from getting any points, so we probably need a min. of 11 points to get through. To avoid tiebreak we probably either need to get the draw against Honduras or hope the Panama wins at home against Honduras. A draw in that game (PAN-HON) could lead to a 3-way tie at the top with 11 points and we would get into a tiebreaker scenario.

lol the second in my mind! I'm still proud of our boys for playing on that crap Cuban surface and coming away with a win too, even if Cuba is such a minnow! Odd now that they were 6th ranked and didn't have to qualify to get to this stage and teams like Panama and Canada did. Such a contradiction to the other two groups!

Oh and +++ to can't wait to see the vid for this one! Those see thee rise things are great

I also have held off posting over the weekend, but my thoughts on a few of the comments:

1. On our creativity going forward - Panama were very disciplined in their end, with many times that there were 8 whites within the box. Big Kev totally screwed up on the first corner header, and he knew it. But aerial was the way it had to be done, there was no space to move on the carpet with the forest of legs.

2. Why did Edgar take that first close FK? He wasn't even close (although it did dip remarkably, it was quite wide)

3. I thought the left side was underutilized, it seemed to me that most attacks went up the right with Edgar and Jackson.

4. Midfield was class. Back four were stout.

5. I would rather see the lineup as more of a 4-2-3-1 than the 4-5-1 we were using - there was too much space between the 5 and the 1, meaning OO had no options when he was receiving the ball.

6. To say that Hutch and DeRo were lucky and caught Panama napping is flat out wrong. Hutch was using hurry-up restarts a fair bit in the second half - I saw three throw-ins in a row in the second half by him where he did that, including the one that sprung Jacko, so that Jacko was able to draw the FK that led to the goal. That was two hurry-ups in a row that resulted in a goal - seems pretty deliberate to me!

7. What a crowd! We were in 122 and my kids (especially my 11 year old daughter) want to try the V's section next...

8. The CWNT exited gate 4 and had to run the autograph gauntlet, and were very accommodating - with, sadly, the exception of Diana Matheson, who waited to the end and sprinted past the crowd - she looks a bit shell-shocked at the attention, but that was dissapointing. Karina LeBlanc also didn't do any signing but she at least worked the crowd a bit. We got our V's flags well-covered.

It always makes me laugh when people act like they were doing nothing and were singled out for "over supporting" in hopes that no one will ever call them out on their crap.

You couldn't handle your flag. Your flag was too big in length, thickness, and tied to a piece of wood. All these factors made the equivalent of someone spinning a towel over their head. You didn't have the strength to keep it up as it immediately started dropping lower and lower as soon as you picked it up. This resulted in you hitting everyone in the face 3 rows forward and back every single time you waved your flag every 30 seconds. There were at least 2 people around you who covered their face in pain after being hit directly in the eye ball. You were completely oblivious to it all. Still, people put up with your crap. After repeatedly hitting a gentleman in the face every time you swung, he kindly said to you "Hey, higher" and you and your buddy got on the defensive responding with "What? Are you from Panama?". The gentleman was with is father who was clearly an immigrant as his English was rough and spoke Spanish. Ironically, they were there supporting Canada. "You're not Canadian are you?" you and your friend asked over and over making the gentleman uncomfortable. "You're not from here". Then you proceeded to yell "f*ck, South Americans". Finally, after putting up with your crap for nearly the whole game, someone grabbed your flag after it repeatedly smacked them in the face after it was clear your teen noodle arms weren't capable of properly swinging a flag. He said to you "i'm trying to watch the game and you keep smacking me in the face with your flag" in which you responded "you should be honored to smacked in the face with my flag". The people behind you had also had enough as when you and your flag buddy sat down, you both left your wooden sticks up verticallyfeet above your head, blocking their view of the entire match.

This wasn't a flag waving issue, it's a you're a huge prick issue. The people around you started off by being overly reasonable with you. You are not in a supporters section. Flags big enough to obstruct rows of people are not permitted especially on a wooden stick as it's a security issue. If that was someone from the South End, you would never had made it into the building with your wood stick. No one needed to be reasonable with you and they could have just reported you to security, but they were surprisingly patient. Instead, you stuck out clearly as an obnoxious out of towner who couldn't be reasoned with and responded to reasoning with ignorant attitude and prejudice overtones. It's morons like you who ruin it for everyone else who are considerate with their tifo in non supporting sections.

Mate,

I am aware that I was waving the flag too low, and I apologize for that. But some of this post is not true, and you have no right to indirectly call me racist when I have two immigrant parents. And that dialogue seems to be biased. I was also talking to the guys behind us the whole game, and asked them at the start if it was okay to have my flag standing up.

Anyway, with a little alcohol, I messed up and am sorry for being obnoxious. I flew out from Calgary for that game, brought seven people, and I suppose the supporters section would be a better place next time.

The only thing that I am very angry about right now is that your interpretation of my dialogue.. I am not a racist and far from it. Both sides of my family are immigrants and in fact, SOUTH AMERICAN.

Mate,

I am aware that I was waving the flag too low, and I apologize for that. But some of this post is not true, and you have no right to indirectly call me racist when I have two immigrant parents. And that dialogue seems to be biased. I was also talking to the guys behind us the whole game, and asked them at the start if it was okay to have my flag standing up.

Anyway, with a little alcohol, I messed up and am sorry for being obnoxious. I flew out from Calgary for that game, brought seven people, and I suppose the supporters section would be a better place next time.

I'm not an authority on anything but here's my two cents; stand up apology and response, as I didn't expect you to respond again in this thread and just be more careful next time with your comments. Alcohol can make anyone say things they wish they didn't (I know too well and I'm sure other do also lol), but the racial undertones are not acceptable in my book, alcohol or not. It's a sporting event and we can all get carried away. As long as you understand you crossed the line, which it seems you did, then it's all good in the hood as my mom used to say. Also note that I've read each post with an understanding they were likely a bit biased, so don't take it all to heart, mistakes happen and continue supporting!! I think we'd all agree that that's what it's all about, supporting our boys, each other and our beautiful nation of people who come here from all around the globe (I am born to two immigrants as well).

MJALLTHEWAY said:
I'm not an authority on anything but here's my two cents; stand up apology and response, as I didn't expect you to respond again in this thread and just be more careful next time with your comments. Alcohol can make anyone say things they wish they didn't (I know too well and I'm sure other do also lol), but the racial undertones are not acceptable in my book, alcohol or not. It's a sporting event and we can all get carried away. As long as you understand you crossed the line, which it seems you did, then it's all good in the hood as my mom used to say. Also note that I've read each post with an understanding they were likely a bit biased, so don't take it all to heart, mistakes happen and continue supporting!! I think we'd all agree that that's what it's all about, supporting our boys, each other and our beautiful nation of people who come here from all around the globe (I am born to two immigrants as well).

Dude, you flew out from Calgary? How much, per person, did the whole affair cost?

It's cheaper than you think (or at least it was cheaper than I thought it would be).

Westjet has a seat sale. Right now you can fly out of Calgary on Thurs and back on Sat for around $570. From Regina at 6AM Friday and return in the aft on Saturday is only $446. Hotels by the airport can be had for less than $100/night (mine was only $85 and was quite nice actually). Public transport in Toronto cost me around $6/day ... 1hr from airport hotels to BMO/downtown but saved me a ton of money.

Some of the SK Vs also stayed with people they knew reducing the cost.

EDIT: Regina is only 4hrs drive from you and it would save you ~$120.

From my perspective, it was worth every penny.

Hey guys, was at the game in the Ultras section and it was great, best Canada game ive been too. Me and a group of friends are quite passionate and we took to making a few banners. Not sure if you guys saw it before the game but it was about 10x 15 meters and said "Canada Ultras" on it. Also we pulled out the "I have a dream, Brasil 2014" banner at half time and after the match. Not sure If any of you guys remember but I was also the one who went into the Panama section at around the 70th minute mark with the huge Canada flag. Of course they denied my entrance but I did manage to wave it around for about 30 seconds in front of some pretty pissed Panamanians lol.

Anyways, the point of this message is that I think these banners were well received and was wondering why isnt there more of these banners. I think we should all collaborate to make one crazy kick ass banners to show the nation and our players how passionate we really are. Attached is the banner, I also attached another picture of my club team an example of something large scale we should all work towards. Any thoughts?post-124288-139465254532_thumb.jpg

post-124288-139465254529_thumb.jpg

post-124288-139465254531_thumb.jpg

Anyways, the point of this message is that I think these banners were well received and was wondering why isnt there more of these banners. I think we should all collaborate to make one crazy kick ass banners to show the nation and our players how passionate we really are. Attached is the banner, I also attached another picture of my club team an example of something large scale we should all work towards. Any thoughts?

More and more banners and flags appear every cycle. Really appreciate all the hard work and time many V's are putting in. Congratulations to you guys for putting on a spectacular show, the players clearly appreciated it.

Wish I coulda been there.

It's cheaper than you think (or at least it was cheaper than I thought it would be).

Westjet has a seat sale. Right now you can fly out of Calgary on Thurs and back on Sat for around $570. From Regina at 6AM Friday and return in the aft on Saturday is only $446. Hotels by the airport can be had for less than $100/night (mine was only $85 and was quite nice actually). Public transport in Toronto cost me around $6/day ... 1hr from airport hotels to BMO/downtown but saved me a ton of money.

Some of the SK Vs also stayed with people they knew reducing the cost.

EDIT: Regina is only 4hrs drive from you and it would save you ~$120.

From my perspective, it was worth every penny.

Regina's a 5 hour drive from Medicine Hat, speeding the whole way. :P

4ish to Maple Creek.

Hey guys, was at the game in the Ultras section and it was great, best Canada game ive been too. Me and a group of friends are quite passionate and we took to making a few banners. Not sure if you guys saw it before the game but it was about 10x 15 meters and said "Canada Ultras" on it. Also we pulled out the "I have a dream, Brasil 2014" banner at half time and after the match. Not sure If any of you guys remember but I was also the one who went into the Panama section at around the 70th minute mark with the huge Canada flag. Of course they denied my entrance but I did manage to wave it around for about 30 seconds in front of some pretty pissed Panamanians lol.

Anyways, the point of this message is that I think these banners were well received and was wondering why isnt there more of these banners. I think we should all collaborate to make one crazy kick ass banners to show the nation and our players how passionate we really are. Attached is the banner, I also attached another picture of my club team an example of something large scale we should all work towards. Any thoughts?[ATTACH=CONFIG]796[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]797[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]798[/ATTACH]

Really appreciate the banners and extra support. But just as a heads up, going into the away sections for these games wearing Canada gear kinda goes against the work that Jaime and other Voyageurs have done to ensure that we have designated away sections so that no one wearing away colours gets into our section. Anyways nice to get a few new banners every game - really helps spice up the look a bit!

Who ever is in charge of the MASSIVE V's flag (btw i love that thing, along with the other massive checkered flag) PLEASE get it up and waving. As the game starts, before half, as the 2nd half starts, the 90th min, after the game when the players come over....no point of just holding it over the rail.

What a night, still cant get over it...so proud of our canadian footy

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID.

But I hear ya. If anyone feels like they wanna take a turn waving it, just come down and say hello. It's not mine, it belongs to everyone here.

PS: We're going to Brazil.

that banner took us 20 hours to paint but it was an awesome project. looked so much bigger on the basketball court where we painted it though compared to the picture in the stands lol. you ca be assured that we will have something else special for cuba game. lots of ideas are rolling around upstairs

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/c67.0.403.403/p403x403/381075_10100944330211970_1950874694_n.jpg

Archived