Canada vs Panama Sept. 7th 2012 @BMO Field Game Thread

jpg75

Hard to say if we DRAW on the 11th and Honduras WINS then it will be

CANADA 8

Honduras 7

Panama 7

Cuba 0

Honduras will probably win against Cuba by 2goals or more....so they will jump into 2nd place. Games in OCTOBER will be Hell

I think this is very realistic...a Honduras win and a Canada-Panama draw on Tuesday.

If that happens, a win at home for us against Cuba and a victory by either Panama or Honduras in their match against each other (as long as they didn't draw)...would put us through to the Hex without having to worry about the final match in Honduras. In that scenario, we'd have 11 pts before the final match, either Panama or Honduras would have 10, and someone would be stuck at 7, meaning the 3rd place team couldn't catch us with only 1 match left.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the first game I've ever watched where I needed a whiskey on the rocks post match to settle down. Amazing to watch tonight!

Loyaka - Jackson was fantastic. Yes, his crossing was poor, but his defensive work and bravery in possession was superb. He played a typical wing-role. Guaranteed he's been studying his Norwich teammates in that regard to prepare.

Hutch is MOTM for his technical ability, positioning, and awareness on the FK. King Kev was exceptional as well.

I agree that we should probably start De Jong on Tuesday, but put DeRO on the bench. Bring him on as-needed.

I loved the disappearing ball trick. I don't like Dobson and the other guy commentaries, they are too dry for me. I listened instead to the Spanish guys, much more colorful. However they were critical of Canada saying that the team lacked ideas, all ball to the area were high ball and that the team is very limited with too many deficiencies. But they did recognized De Rosario as being the best player of the lot.

Huge, huge win everybody battled and gave their all, the team really wanted it and you can definitely see they were committed to the cause.

With that said I tend to agree with the Spanish commentary, Canada lacks ideas and way too many balls were direct to a striker surrounded by 3 or 4 Panamanians. We are 1 forward short, when OO came out Ricketts was very out of place with the balls we were playing into him and Jackson gave away possession throughout the game a bit to easily, but he did look dangerous when he was running at defenders. Our midfield especially Johnson and JDG look to pass back waayyy to frequently, it hinders our ability to break out and its down to our deficiency in passing vision and ability. The worst part about that is that our distribution from the back specifically Mckenna is god aweful, numerous times throughout the game Mckenna would have 2 or 3 midfielders open in support and link up positions and he would bypass that for a direct ball to a OO and even worse Ricketts surrounded by defenders and posession was gifted away time and time again and this has been a problem with the CMNT since I can remember. Hart needs to stop this, Hainault and Mckenna and the whole back 4 did a great job defensively and have done so through the qualifiers but the distribution should be an easy fix and Hart needs to work with them picking passes to our midfield and keeping the ball on the ground.

I'm going to enjoy this win as it was massive, we definitely were the better team today but going forward if we can plug those leaks and improve our passing choices and offensive ideas we will have a great shot at not just making the Hex but going to Brazil.

The lack of a cutting edge is going to damn us going forward if we don't remedy it, but for now this was all I could have asked for. Still, disturbing how we kept firing in inaccurate crosses after having played to the wings.

Two minutes before the goal I tweeted "this is awful". The whole display wasn't, but I was pretty down at that point.

I don't like the 4-5-1. There, I said it, now I will shut up about it.

Thanks to the V's who made it so great to watch (setting up for a big fundraiser tomorrow) and see you on oct 12th.

Let's look at this with a cool head now. WE Were Lucky, We played well but couldn't finish. At the same time we let Panama run in our backyard. This shouldn't have happened. Panama could have easily scored too.

Lucky my ass.

That was a sharp play by Hutch, and a sure finish by de Ro.

If the Panamanians hadn't spent half the match looking at the ref they'd have been more alert to the danger. But the didn't, and they weren't.

What I wouldn't pay to be a fly on the wall of the airplane when the Panamanians fly home for the Tuesday fixture. Especially with Honduras winning away to Cuba.

They can count their blessings they didn't leave BMO down 3-nil. I don't think they liked what they experienced tonight. Not one bit.

ok you..guys win, scoring in the only way that you can score, we in Panamá feel that a team that it is not.better than us stole.a.tie, we usually.have respect.for.Canada but now.that respect is.gonne, tuesday in panama will be hell for teh canada. team and fans

see you tbere

I think it is you who is in hell right now :)

Finally! A big win! Such a nerve racking game. First half was great same old same old though.

I loved atiba tonight of course

I think jazic is solid, but part of that whole lacking ideas problem seems to be partly from his area. I feel when he gets the ball any forward momentum dies.

Johnson I liked a lot at times, but towards the end he was getting sloppy and between him and julian I feel our offence just starts so slowly when it runs through them.

Dero was dero.

I disliked the occean for ricketts sub. It totally killed any forward drive we still had. I like ricketts out wide.

backline, really can't complain.

So stoked on the win!

PS... to the Panama guy. Really? like did you watch. I was hit by a fly harder on my bike yesterday. If I was on that pitch for Panama I would of needed a chopper. Not to mention after all the garbage I've watched its nice to catch a bit of a break. That wasn't really a break it was just a clever veteran move. Versus all the bs calls, diving, etc. that have killed us in the past. I am scared. Of large bugs, but not your flopping football team.

Good games, but come on guys, Panama was unlucky to not have scored. If they had better forwards with some of the chances they created, we could easily be cursing more after a bitter tie or defeat. If it weren't for the quick free kick taken, that goal wouldn't have happened. I'm more concerned that we couldn't generate anything up the middle. Even the Spanish commentators we're saying Canada lacked the cutting edge in the opponents goal to score. Why do we always use the wings for long ball crosses that go aimlessly wide most times? The true test will be in Panama, I think. If we win or tie, we're through and our destiny will be in our hands to make it to the Hex. If we don't make it to the Hex, well, I consider that tie to Honduras at HOME, as our possible Achilles heel.

Luck is where preperation meets opportunity and we were prepared. Nothing lucky about the goal. Just a heads up play by 2 of our vets! Yes Panama could have scored and so could we. At least we got one post while they only made Lars do one hard save.

We made our luck and now lead the group! Max points off the toughest team in the draw and another clean sheet is NOT luck! Ifs are worthless. I am so happy and now anxious for Tuesday to hurry up and get here!

Stole a game? Have you ever watched Barcelona? They do the quick attack all the time off free kicks. Maybe you guys need to pay attention and not fall asleep at the wheel whining at the ref all the time.

Well done all around and big Kev gets my nod for MOTM.

Good games, but come on guys, Panama was unlucky to not have scored. If they had better forwards with some of the chances they created, we could easily be cursing more after a bitter tie or defeat. If it weren't for the quick free kick taken, that goal wouldn't have happened. I'm more concerned that we couldn't generate anything up the middle. Even the Spanish commentators we're saying Canada lacked the cutting edge in the opponents goal to score. Why do we always use the wings for long ball crosses that go aimlessly wide most times? The true test will be in Panama, I think. If we win or tie, we're through and our destiny will be in our hands to make it to the Hex. If we don't make it to the Hex, well, I consider that tie to Honduras at HOME, as our possible Achilles heel.
Yes, but those are all hypotheticals: Panama did NOT have strikers good enough to finish. We DID take the free kick and scored. I know what you mean to say--ie. that we need to be better, that better opposition would likely have beat us tonight--but that is all obvious stuff and not relevant to what indeed happened. What we need to do is learn from this experience and build on the positives.

ok you..guys win, scoring in the only way that you can score, we in Panamá feel that a team that it is not.better than us stole.a.tie, we usually.have respect.for.Canada but now.that respect is.gonne, tuesday in panama will be hell for teh canada. team and fans

see you tbere

Blah Blah Blah

Goto Panama's forum and cry there.

Lucky my ass.

That was a sharp play by Hutch, and a sure finish by de Ro.

If the Panamanians hadn't spent half the match looking at the ref they'd have been more alert to the danger. But the didn't, and they weren't.

What I wouldn't pay to be a fly on the wall of the airplane when the Panamanians fly home for the Tuesday fixture. Especially with Honduras winning away to Cuba.

They can count their blessings they didn't leave BMO down 3-nil. I don't think they liked what they experienced tonight. Not one bit.

Hey didn't say the Goal wans't great, it was awsome the defenders didn't even flinch. What I mean Panama came close to they would have been LUCKY too. They were Unlucky aty the same time

Let's look at this with a cool head now. WE Were Lucky, We played well but couldn't finish. At the same time we let Panama run in our backyard. This shouldn't have happened. Panama could have easily scored too.

Sep 11 Panama - CANADA

Oct 12 CANADA - Cuba

Oct 16 Honduras - CANADA

CURRENT STANDINGS

CANADA 7

Panama 6

Honduras 4

Cuba 0

WORST CASE SCENARIO Canada loses in Panama and Honduras Wins with Cuba

Panama 9

Honduras 7

CANADA 7 (goal diff btwn us and Honduras)

Cuba 0

Then on the 12th Oct, Canada WINS with Cuba and Honduras Wins with Panama

Honduras 10

CANADA 10 (goal diff)

Panama 9

Cuba 0

Oct 16th.............I don't want to think about it. We CANNOT AFFORD to Fck Up with CUBA 3pts are a must

Can you do all the math on various score-draws from all the teams?

7 points from 3 games seems beyond my wildest dreams, but we can't get complacent. There's every chance we leave Panama and Honduras with 0 points. The pressure against Cuba at home might get to our players -- remember Puerto Rico.

Anyone else catch the quick shot of Jamie/SoccerOnly applauding at the end? I think he was bottom right of the shot with a few other fans.

Lucky my ass.

oooooooooooooooohhhhhh..I feel another installment of the telepathic fly coming.

Here are the collected Litterbox Chronicles:

http://www.cansoc.org/showthread.php?38461-The-Litterbox-Chronicles

We will have a CLEAR Picture(or NOT) after Tuesday's game. At the moment TOO many ways this can finish. Right now Win/tie/Loss will help and complicate things. But if CUBA has a MIRACLE to happen and they Win or Tie with Honduras then we Talking.

Panama WINS against CANADA on the 11th

CUBA and Honduras TIE

Panama 9

Canada 7

Honduras 5

Cuba 1

CUBA WINS with Honduras

Panama 9

Canada 7

Honduras 4

Cuba 3

Panama - CANADA TIE

Honduras WINS Cuba

CANADA 8

Panama 7

Honduras 7

Cuba 0

Panama - CANADA TIE

CUBA WINS against Honduras

CANADA 8

Panama 7

Honduras 4

Cuba 3

Now if we WIN and Cuba wins WELL WELL WELL

CANADA 10

Panama 6

Honduras 4

Cuba 3

Canada WINS

Honduras WINS

CANADA 10

Honduras 7

Panama 6

Cuba 0

OK can't think anymore and I ran out of beer

The determining game will the CUBA and whenever we lose any points against them. If we do we fcked royally

Archived