Honduras 7

Canada 7

Cuba 0

Then we beat Cuba and Panama takes down Honduras at home. It becomes:

Panama 12

Canada 10

Honduras 7

Cuba 0

We would then go into San Pedro Sula knowing a draw will secure a spot in the hex. I don't like this scenario, so we need to hopefully keep the score close in Panama, hope Honduras doesn't smoke Cuba again and beat Cuba handily. Considering our lack of finishing, this doesn't bode well. If we could get a draw in Panama, it could make the final game meaningless.

WE NEED FOUR POINTS IN THE NEXT TWO GAMES AND HOPE PANAMA BEATS HONDURAS!

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's say we lose in Panama and Honduras wins, so it's:

Panama 9

Honduras 7

Canada 7

Cuba 0

Then we beat Cuba and Panama takes down Honduras at home. It becomes:

Panama 12

Canada 10

Honduras 7

Cuba 0

What IF WE WIN AGAINST CUBA and Panama/Honduras TIE it's down to the last game

CANADA 10

Panama 10

Honduras 8

Cuba 0

CUBA will be the deciding factor I say if they can eat away points from Honduras or Canada then it will be hell

There's every chance we leave Panama and Honduras with 0 points.

Rubbish. I'm going to the match in Honduras, and Canda's worst result with me travelling to watch is a 7-0 win. We are going to take Honduras down big time in San Pedro Sula. You heard it here first.

Plus, we're gonna win in Panama too.

IF WE LOSE vs. Panama and Cuba (cuba loses to Honduras too, while Panama wins againt Honduras)

Panama 12

Honduras 7 (on goal Diff)

CANADA 7

Cuba 4

So even if we lose 2games as long as Panama Wins vs. Honduras it will be to the last game

IF we lose x2 and Honduras wins x2 then it will be

Honduras 10

Panama 9

CANADA 7

Cuba 4

The great thing about it is no one can really drop the last game in this scenario. Of Course Canada would need a WIN while Honduras probably a Tie due to the amount of goals differential

My points:

- Very good first half. We really pressed them with clearly the most athletic midfield I think we've ever fielded. With Hutch in form, we have a central player who I think virtually all of CONCACAF would love to have. He's physically dominant and he pulls the strings as well. Fitting that he set up the goal the way he did. I'm not surprised that we had trouble carving Panama open; I think they're the best team in this group. Plus, they are dangerous on the counter and I think Hart was content with our shape and creating chances from wide areas. The fact our best chances came from set pieces doesn't concern me. Free kicks are and need to be our attacking strength going forward.

- I'm of the opinion that finishing ahead of either Panama or Honduras would be a huge step forward for our program and this group of players. So, I'm not so alarmed that we're not easily winning at home. I think the big, big test will be those last 2 away fixtures. It looks like we will clearly need a point and I'm actually fairly confident this group can do it.

- I don't think McKenna believed how free he'd gotten on the first chance. He blew that header in the worst way possible. The second one was a bit unluckier in hitting the post.

- I think our 2nd half was similar to that against Honduras. We couldn't physically keep pressing like we did in the first half and that allowed Panama to grow into the game. I think they're clearly a better side going forward than Honduras is, or at least was when they played us. Like many of us I'm sure, I was starting to get that heavy feeling in my gut around the 70th minute mark that we'd missed one chance too many.

- I didn't like Ricketts subbed in as a centre forward; I expected him to come in for Jackson. When it was indeed Occean coming out, I was hoping Jackson would slide in the middle. I think he's more suited to playing off the CB's shoulder than Ricketts.

- I thought Edgar's delivery into the box in the first half was generally very good. Someone gets on the end of one of those like Occean did in Cuba and he looks like a hero. He's also clearly adept at putting the needle in on his opponent, though I was a little worried when he came in after the ball went out and stirred it up late in the first half. It's a fine line and I wouldn't recommend trying that in Panama on Tuesday. But our back line continues to be pretty rock solid.

- Liked the last 2 subs, especially Bernier for Johnson. A good change in styles at that stage of the game.

- CONCACAF officiating has come a long way, IMO. Not just because we're not getting screwed at important moments. Solis managed the game very well tonight, picking his spots with his cards (save for the mistake of booking DeGuzman and not Jackson, which will hopefully get corrected) and keeping a lid on things. There seems to be more of a willingness to deal with negative elements that many CONCACAF teams bring.

- I am extremely pumped for Tuesday.

Wow, we sure needed that one, eh?

So hard to imagine this team scoring an open play goal in Honduras or Panama. Can't realistically see us getting three points in either place, not if we are also going to risk going down to 9 or 10 men by playing "their" tactics (which I have long advocated but imagine to be much, much riskier down in latin america.) That disappearing ball trick, for instance, might have started a game ending riot in Teguc or Panama City.

Johnson is out with the second yellow, I believe. Replaced by Bernier I hope.

In the game I watched Julian was mostly terrible. Apparently many watched a different match where he not only was one of the best players on the pitch, but also setting up the winning goal. Dero was ineffective for much of he match, I thought. Jackson valiantly battled while still so out of place and woefully wasteful with crosses. Occean as isolated as ever. No freekick takers groomed in the past decade? C'mon. Lars almost chipped and nervously bobbling a few others. Much to fret about still.

Before I get booed out of the executive club, I should say this was an epic result and I nearly cried at the end, with my two year-old next to me wrapped in a voyageurs' scarf (mostly shouting, "geez, Jackson"). The match played on the field was terribly unconvincing, at least from my POV.

Bravo to those in Toronto. The support, and the weeks and weeks of work setting it up, was awe-inspiring, as was the play of McKenna and Atiba. Absolutely brilliant.

Let's pray for Tuesday, lads. They are going to need it.

Also I wanted to say that overall I thought the Ref's approach to the game was very good. He wasn't over demonstrative and kept a calm demeanor with the players and didn't go for any of the Panamanian's bull****. He allowed the players to play and was not card happy, he did mess up a Johnson handball that wasn't the case and gave the yellow to the wrong guy and also could have given the Panamanian a straight red for the studs to the chest which looked deliberate against Hutchinson. But overall the calls he messed up a bit were still close and his mindset was not to go out of his way to flash cards, overall for Canada that mentality is almost always good for us, and good for fairness in the game.

The park looked electric tonight- Bravo Toronto! I think Voyageurs across Canada had every right to be annoyed at the MNT playing all the qualifiers in Toronto based on previous poor turnouts, but the hard work of the Toronto and area Voyageurs is paying off. That looked and sounded impressive on tv and the players are clearly loving it too. Two examples of our side reveling in a great atmosphere that I though stuck out: -the missing ball trick around our bench (I doubt we'd try that sh*t away from home) -the way the boys soaked up the adulation after the final whistle.

The park looked electric tonight- Bravo Toronto! I think Voyageurs across Canada had every right to be annoyed at the MNT playing all the qualifiers in Toronto based on previous poor turnouts, but the hard work of the Toronto and area Voyageurs is paying off. That looked and sounded impressive on tv and the players are clearly loving it too. Two examples of our side reveling in a great atmosphere that I though stuck out: -the missing ball trick around our bench (I doubt we'd try that sh*t away from home) -the way the boys soaked up the adulation after the final whistle.

Who was it that had the ball and then put it under the bench? Was it Stama?

PS: Quite a bit of negativity on the performances of some of our boys here. The skill is what it is but the boys showed a lot of energy and hardwork and it paid off. Sure our finishing is pretty pathetic but we dominated. If you think we played poorly and unconvincingly what do you think of Panama's performance?

And someone on this board suggests we bench DeRo- right after he keeps the Rio dream alive and becomes the top Canadian scorer. Yes let's bench him - Thiku for coach! Pathetic.

PSS: Big congatulations to DeRo - class act.

Who was it that had the ball and then put it under the bench? Was it Stama?

Yes - MOTM just for doing that in my opinion. :)

I still don't know what to say hours after attending the match, I think this is the first time that I've been in attendance for a "must-win" World Cup Qualifying match past the "minnow" round where we actually won the game!

I have been following Canada since 1998. I can honestly say I have only been this happy a handful of times (Gold Cup 2000 and 2002 plus a few others). This was just a monumental victory. Its big not just because of the result and the standings but because we won at home in front of a passionate, partisan Canadian crowd in a sss and we finally put our money where our mouths were by winning after trying to convince so many people that supporting us is worth the effort. Great move by the CSA to honour the women tonight and build more momentum.

This game was far from perfect for us but I don't really care. I am just going to enjoy the win. I have been waiting for this for so many years now its not even funny...

Archived