Canada vs Panama Sept. 7th 2012 @BMO Field Game Thread

jpg75

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing atmosphere, amazing night! Some things to improve upon (creativity / killer instinct in the final third) but we truly did dominate possession. The crowd in the south stands was truly awesome, but also happy with the overall vibe in the stadium. It's amazing what one "lucky" goal and one victory will do, because I'm sure there will be even more energy / fans at the final home game vs. Cuba. Still a little worried about the permutations, as we will most likely need a draw in either Panama or Honduras plus a win over Cuba without losing by more than a goal in the other game, to get us through.

Whew...let me tell you, getting home with this game PVRed...there was times I couldn't help it, had to pause, rewind, fast forward before I bit my nails off, especially in the last 10. Free kick made me laugh...

McKenna and Hainault...let's not underrate the work our two CBs did. They made taking almost every free ball and winning the header against their forwards look way easier than it actually is, in fact most of our team did, particularly in the first half. We had a lot more size and it really showed.

ok you..guys win, scoring in the only way that you can score, we in Panamá feel that a team that it is not.better than us stole.a.tie, we usually.have respect.for.Canada but now.that respect is.gonne, tuesday in panama will be hell for teh canada. team and fans

see you tbere

Hahahahahaha. So, what, you'll start diving and wasting time in the 20th minute instead of the 35th? Congrats, champs.

Great night... get at least a single in Panama and the Cuba game will be epic!

Too bad about the poachers beating the USA... only consolation was that their stadium/facilities looked like a crumbling bucket of crap. Can't imagine going to Kingston is super appealing to begin with these days between the crime rate and the corruption.

Team looked really good considering how strong Panama has been lately, and moreso given Josh's absence.

Little surprised about people stating that we were lucky. I thought we were full value for the 3 points. We completely dominated them in the first half and had a number of good chances. Sure, we didnt carve them open but that is always difficult at this level when they play so defensively. that being said, we had 7 or 8 good chances. 3 free kicks in dangerous positions, 2 dangerous headers from McKenna including one off post, dero had nice turn and shot, occean had a shot just wide, and there were a number of balls into the box that caused panama trouble. On the other side, panama had nothing in the first half. In the second they were better but I only remember two decent chances and both were caused by some lucky bounces putting on defence on the back foot. I am quietly confident for panama. Also, we are likely to play on the counter for that match so it changes the complexion of the game.

I agree with bernier for Johnson and I would consider de Jong for Jazic as well.

Little surprised about people stating that we were lucky. I thought we were full value for the 3 points. We completely dominated them in the first half and had a number of good chances. Sure, we didnt carve them open but that is always difficult at this level when they play so defensively. that being said, we had 7 or 8 good chances. 3 free kicks in dangerous positions, 2 dangerous headers from McKenna including one off post, dero had nice turn and shot, occean had a shot just wide, and there were a number of balls into the box that caused panama trouble. On the other side, panama had nothing in the first half. In the second they were better but I only remember two decent chances and both were caused by some lucky bounces putting on defence on the back foot. I am quietly confident for panama. Also, we are likely to play on the counter for that match so it changes the complexion of the game.

I agree with bernier for Johnson and I would consider de Jong for Jazic as well.

Guys, compared to Edgar on the right, I felft that Jazic didn't offer the same width on the left. However, Edgar's crosses weren't good enough tonight. I was also thinking that Jackson was well marked tonight, and wondered if he'd maybe move a bit more into the inside channels from time to time. his first touch also seemed to let him down a bit...plus he wasn't given much space

Bernier and Hutch together to start? Could be like having him and Felipe in Montreal....

However, Johnson's work rate cannot easily be replicated on defence

For once, I felt like Hart made the right subs at the right time too

I thought Canada was full value for 3 pts. I can live with 1-0, 2-1 grinders, because wins are wins... The fact that Canada managed to hold Honduras and Panama to zero goals, albeit at home, is very positive sign. Defensively most organized and solid back 4, with Hirshfeld being in good form, but offensively lacking that final zing to put away goals. Gotta be more willing to take a shot instead of looking for perfect pass. What I liked the most was the amount of hustle and fight in winning back balls and going after those 50/50 challenges. Gotta keep that up.

I also think if it wasn't for the threat of rain (thank goodness it didn't rain like it was suppose to), there would have been another 1000 or so who would have shown up. Also, liked how most of Panama supporters were put in North End, instead of scattered all around.

Ratings

Hirshfeld: 6.5

-Didn't have to do much, but made that key save when he was called upon and solid commanding the box.

Edgar: 6

-Was ok, nothing really spectacular, but expected a little more going forward to support the attack.

McKenna & Hainault: 6.5

-Any balls in the air got sucked into a blackhole as I think McKenna and Hainault won pretty much any air duel vs Tejada and Perez who must have been really frustrated. McKenna must do better with those open headers as those may be the difference in winning games. And no more risky back passes to Hirshfeld.

Jazic: 6

-Overall solid defensively, but offered pretty much nothing going forward, probably didn't want to get caught up with his lack of speed. And because DeRo hardly ever tracks back to help with defence.

De Guzman: 6.5

-Had a typical JDG game at DM. Plenty of grit and distrupting Panama attack through the middle of the park.

Johnson: 5.5

-A tough game for Johnson who seemed to lost a little bit of fire after getting booked early in the match. Delivered decent set pieces though.

Hutchinson: 7

-Lost the ball a few times, played box to box mid well. Made one awesome sliding tacking early the game that could have led to a Panama break otherwise. Heads up play on the goal. He basically made stuff happen whenever he had the ball, and I'd like to see him a little further up the pitch all the time.

Jackson: 5.5

-Had a bit of tough game, as he's still getting used to playing RW. Lost the ball a lot, had trouble beating his man 1v1 a lot of times, and crosses went nowhere.

DeRosario: 6.5

-Would be lower if it wasn't for the goal. Keeps making one too many fancy moves and lose possession. But he scored a non PK goal for Canada finally! Congrats DeRo, for being the all time leading scorer for MNT!

Occean: 5.5

-Tough game for Occean who was alone up front and not enough support esp from midfield. Esp his flick on which went nowhere cuz no one was running to support him. Still, whenever he had the ball, he doesn't think fast enough to make the next pass, leading to the attack going nowhere.

Hard to say if we DRAW on the 11th and Honduras WINS then it will be

CANADA 8

Honduras 7

Panama 7

Cuba 0

Honduras will probably win against Cuba by 2goals or more....so they will jump into 2nd place. Games in OCTOBER will be Hell

You realize in this scenario, we then just defeat Cuba and hope for a non draw in HON/PAN and we're through. Cause it'd be 11/10/7 going into the last match, putting us 4 clear of 3rd place. A draw would put us 3pts clear them both and we could be in for a 3 way tiebreaker unless we get a result @ Honduras.

I feel like the Central American teams must be aghast at the monster they've created by teaching us how to win in CONCACAF. There were all the embellishments, sneaky plays and harping at the refs from Canada that a CONCACAF side needs to do in order to win. Let's not forget the ref was a Tico. The burying of the ball under the legs on the bench was priceless, a bitter taste of their own medecine. As a spectator I feel like that one aspect of these games that we always seemed so helpless to counter has finally been figured out. These teams must feel like they've lost what was a distinct advantage against us now that we've learned how to match their nonsense. Now to score a few goals.

Well worth adding that yesterdays win has probably put a couple hundred thousand dollars into the CSA's pockets. Regardless of what happens elsewhere in the group that final home fixture against Cuba is going to be a full house.

Tense, emotional, with everything to win.

What a brilliant evening all around. The crowd was loud, the Vs were unbelievable, but I was just as impressed with the rest of the crowd. The crowd was educated, passionate and very into the game. This has been my dream for many, many years as a Canadian footy fan. It seems as though the general public are finally learning what great football they are missing out on.

As for the actual game, wow, I was on the edge of my seat and beyond watching them try and hold on. All my past experiences clouding my judgement, tempering my expectations. Felt like I had to keep telling myself that this was a new Canadian team, a team that can hold a lead. McKenna and Hainault, as has been mentioned, are absolutely anti-air destroyers at the back. Cleaned up the long balls in the last 10 minutes effectively. I will say that I thought Panama never took the opportunity that they can exploit in attacking the wings with pace. The times that they did were when they were most effective. They play almost solely through the middle and work to set up the 1-2 through. I think it's important we are aware defensively of their exploits and really look to congest the middle of the park with our three midfielders.

Offensively I thought there were some bright spots and we should have been up 1-0 on either of the McKenna headers. At home they are barely defensible, away, they are indefensible. Missing free headers from set pieces is not an option if we want to take a draw or better in Panama City. Our aerial ability off of set pieces is one of our greatest strengths in CONCACAF and one we need to exploit away when chances will be fewer and further in between. I thought Johnson whipped in some excellent balls from set pieces that were touches away from scoring and they will need to continue. The free kick was a touch of genius from Atiba, and the calm, assuredness of Dero. After watching the replay, I'm sure some strikers would miss that sitter only because of the circumstances of being so free. Credit to Dero as well.

Overall moving into game 2 of the H and H, I have a hard time believing we will keep a clean sheet. I assume we will bunker and play for a nil-nil draw, but I think Panama has too much class moving forward, to not score at home. Our key is to score first and then defend soundly so as to ensure one goal by Panama still achieves a draw. I was impressed with Simeon at home, but I would place Ricketts in his position and hope to counter fast. Bring in Simeon at around '60 for Olivier and let him run at the Panaminian defense fresh with Ricketts matching his pace on the wing. Though I understand and respect the loyalty and dependability of starting Jazic at LB in Panama, you have to believe that De Jong should be inserted into the Jazic's spot. Bring Jazic in late if we have a one goal lead to bring veteran savvy and stability. De Jong will be ideal for the counterattacking football we'll play in Panama.

Ultimately, we will have to deal with the travel, crowd, referree, pitch conditions and a snarly Panamanian team willing to use every trick in the book against us. Expect play acting, time wasting, etc. The moment we hid the ball under the bench, I knew it was probably going to be a **** show in Panama. I would not be the least bit surprised to see a red card in this game. I almost expect it. Hopefully it's with a one-goal lead at the '75th or later.

Friends, get ready. That was only part one of our Hex qualifying lives. It only gets more intense from here!

McKenna got after the guys a couple of times but I suspect they all kissed and made up after and that they respected what he said regardless. Can't say I mind the kind of leadership where you get in someone's ear from time to time and McKenna brings that and so much more.

McKenna and Hainault were beasts last night. Won almost everything in the air and shut Panama down when they had the ball at their feet. Gave up a couple of chances but otherwise played an almost flawless game.

First things first: massive props to the home supporters! The whole organization looked great.

It was the match I was expecting. Compact midfield with strong two way play, effective closing down of opponents to disrupt service to strikers, our players playing to their strengths and being a collective, workmanlike side, all good stuff. We should have been up two at the off of those McKenna's chances and though we lost some momentum in the second half with Panama taking it to us a bit more I really liked how we kept battling and...most importantly...finding a way to win instead of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

You can quibble here and there about the individual play but I felt that against this particular opponent it was a mature, professional performance, and that's a pretty high compliment in my books.

Congrats to De Ro and becoming our all time top scorer. No better time to do it!

Good win. We were a little lucky to get it (just because Canada executed well to take advantage of the luck doesn't mean there wasn't luck) but, then again, it's not like Canada wasn't the more positive team for most of the match. Too bad about the classy Dale Mitchell losing his place in the record book but you could hardly ask for better circumstances.

Sometimes, a hurt moose kills you easily. Much more often, you kill the moose.

regardless of what happens during the next three match days, yesterday will go down as one of the greatest football moments of my all life. 113 was amazing. after the goal me and my buddies must have fell two rows in front of us. lost my voice after first half. i truly believe yesterday was a turning in point in Canadian soccer(especially in terms of fan support-huge shout out to jamie).

Lets get this **** done and go to the HEX.

Archived