2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anybody know which Canadian cities have bid on this? Apparently the deadline has now passed so the contenders should be known.

Sportsnet 650 commentator Perry Solkowski reports that the United 2026 committee has informed Vancouver they are no longer a part of the bidding process after the city failed to meet the deadline.

Winnipeg seems like an option as IG Field is expandable to 40k. Pretty sure that any grass surface would need to be only temporary though. Bombers could always start the regular season on the road but would need to find a way to accommodate a pre-season home game.

hey everybody, remember months ago when i kept saying vancouver wouldn't be hosting anything and people were like "what are you on?" i just have one thing to say: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Not claiming I legit thought but this is funny

From   Globe and mail  2 hours ago.

British Columbia is at odds with a bid to bring the FIFA World Cup games to North America.

Tourism Minister Lisa Beare says the province doesn’t agree with the terms put forward by the bid committee, representing Canada, the U.S. and Mexico, to host the games in 2026.

The bid would see Vancouver as a potential host city, along with Toronto, Edmonton and Montreal.

Beare says the bid committee has rejected requests to clarify how much the province would be expected to contribute to the cost of hosting games.

She says the committee has also declined to negotiate with the province over concerns raised about the risk and obligations for taxpayers.

The federal government threw its support behind the committee Tuesday with a promise of $5-million in immediate help if the bid wins, and Beare says B.C. remains open to hosting some of the games if its requests to clarify financial obligations are met.

“The prospect of hosting the FIFA World Cup is exciting for soccer fans, and has the potential to bring significant economic and cultural benefits to British Columbia,” Beare said in a statement on Wednesday.

“While we support the prospect of hosting the World Cup, we cannot agree to terms that would put British Columbians at risk of shouldering potentially huge and unpredictable costs.”

38 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

From   Globe and mail  2 hours ago.

British Columbia is at odds with a bid to bring the FIFA World Cup games to North America.

Tourism Minister Lisa Beare says the province doesn’t agree with the terms put forward by the bid committee, representing Canada, the U.S. and Mexico, to host the games in 2026.

The bid would see Vancouver as a potential host city, along with Toronto, Edmonton and Montreal.

Beare says the bid committee has rejected requests to clarify how much the province would be expected to contribute to the cost of hosting games.

She says the committee has also declined to negotiate with the province over concerns raised about the risk and obligations for taxpayers.

The federal government threw its support behind the committee Tuesday with a promise of $5-million in immediate help if the bid wins, and Beare says B.C. remains open to hosting some of the games if its requests to clarify financial obligations are met.

“The prospect of hosting the FIFA World Cup is exciting for soccer fans, and has the potential to bring significant economic and cultural benefits to British Columbia,” Beare said in a statement on Wednesday.

“While we support the prospect of hosting the World Cup, we cannot agree to terms that would put British Columbians at risk of shouldering potentially huge and unpredictable costs.”

After oil...now football :(

No more BC wine for me :lol:

55 minutes ago, spinrack said:

I actually suspect this may be a negotiating tactic.  Vancouver is the Canadian city best able to host World Cup matches and they know it.  They have dropped an ultimatum because they know they are bargaining from a position of power.

Who are they attempting to bargain with...?

Bt the sounds of things this really doesn't matter if some of the reports in the media are to be believed, it seems FIFA members don't want the US bid, I personally would have been more upset if there were more matches involved but 10 scattered around the country with no guarantee that Canada will be involved in any dampers my enthusiasm!

3 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

In the end, money will rule the day(we're talking FIFA members here) and Trump will probably be gone in 2 years., so we'll get the 2026 W/C, I would think.

Agree, what money are you referring to though, the money spent on hosting a proper bid or the money to buy FIFA member votes?

When the federations see the amount of money they will get from the W/C profits it's basically  buying votes.

48 minutes ago, gator said:

Agree, what money are you referring to though, the money spent on hosting a proper bid or the money to buy FIFA member votes?

15 hours ago, lamptern said:

No Expo86, no 2010 Winter Games, no 2026 world cup. NDP would like to say No to all events and Yes to all taxes. I know who I am not going to vote for now.

Wait a minute? You want to complain about being over-taxed but are OK with BC taxpayers writing a blank cheque to perhaps THE single-most corrupt organization on the planet?

That makes no sense.

Here is a good summary of why they said, "not yet" (they NEVER said "No" to the bid.):

NDP Premier John Horgan wasn’t joking when he said FIFA wants a blank cheque from governments bidding to host 2026 World Cup games. 

The corruption-tainted world soccer governing body will get a United States-led bid that includes cities in Mexico and Canada, but not Vancouver, host of the 2015 Women’s World Cup final. 

Talks broke down between the United Bid Committee and the British Columbia government, ahead of the March 16 deadline. Horgan balked at FIFA’s expensive wish list, from a sweetheart lease of B.C. Place Stadium to onerous security costs. 

Full Article>>

10 hours ago, PunjabiOil said:

Really hope this means Edmonton gets perhaps 2 games.  No doubt in my Edmonton will support this event well.

Could be 5-5 Montreal Toronto

Or 4-4-2 Montreal Toronto Edmonton

Or 4-3-3 Montreal Toronto Edmonton best case?

Would that be a diamond 4-4-2? I thought 3-5-2 is en vogue now, maybe they'll do that?

We don't know all the details and I'm no fan of the NDP, but if it's true that they are asking for a blank check in order to host then being cautious is the right thing to do. I've always believed that governments should work within a balanced budget so I don't want to sound like a hypocrite just because over blown expenses are going towards an event I support.  

13 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

This is shocking. And sad. What a missed opportunity. Vancouver had been building a reputation as a city that could handle major international events. 

The problem is that negotiating with FIFA is like negotiating with the Mafia. It is their way or the highway. And some of the things they demand are outrageous. Like the blank cheque mentioned above. And following the England bid a few years back, I was appalled to read that as a pre-requisite for even entering a bid, the government must waive the rule about how much cash FIFA delegates are allowed to carry in and out of the country. And we subsequently learned why!!

5 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Who are they attempting to bargain with...?

Exactly.  You are either in or your out.  There are plenty of other locale wiling to step up.   the host cities need this kind of event more than the events needs a particular host city.

as much as I hate turning this into a political thing.   But I can't help when I see this kind thinking from a government because it is exactly the kind of stuff you would get from the NDP. 

Archived