2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

1 hour ago, johnyb said:

We don't know all the details and I'm no fan of the NDP, but if it's true that they are asking for a blank check in order to host then being cautious is the right thing to do. I've always believed that governments should work within a balanced budget so I don't want to sound like a hypocrite just because over blown expenses are going towards an event I support.  

They always ask for a blank cheque.   It's known and it's expected.   This shouldn't be of any surprise to the govt officials 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Yohan said:

http://thebreaker.news/news/exclusive-fifa-demands/

if this article is true, why would anyone want to host WC?

This has been known for a long time.   There was an almost identical story that came up when the U20's were held in canada.    Of course it's not right. But, as they, but a moral stand is only going to yield the result that you will be standing on the sideline while others get to host

One of the big three cities was probably going to have to be dropped at some point as hosting fewer than five games in a city doesn't really make sense from an organizational standpoint, so the BC government made what would otherwise have been a difficult decision in optics terms easy to justify and blame on somebody else. If the BC politicians understood the process they should have realized they had no leverage on this or maybe they didn't care?

26 minutes ago, Free kick said:

This has been known for a long time.   There was an almost identical story that came up when the U20's were held in canada.    Of course it's not right. But, as they, but a moral stand is only going to yield the result that you will be standing on the sideline while others get to host

And, sadly, this attitude is exactly why FIFA can get away with it. (Not directed at you personally FK, just a general comment.)

Seems like Edmonton will still proceed forward.  Seems like the province isn't going to commit to support at this time, at least until full costs are known.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/alberta-gov-t-not-backing-edmonton-s-participation-in-2026-fifa-bid-1.3844928#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=twitter&_gsc=2Rz3oaf

“It does create uncertainty,” Councillor Sarah Hamilton said. “The city is still moving forward as part of that bid and if we’re successfully, and fingers crossed we are, it gives us the opportunity to go back to the province and ask them for money, post-bid.”

27 minutes ago, PunjabiOil said:

Seems like Edmonton will still proceed forward.  Seems like the province isn't going to commit to support at this time, at least until full costs are known.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/alberta-gov-t-not-backing-edmonton-s-participation-in-2026-fifa-bid-1.3844928#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=twitter&_gsc=2Rz3oaf

“It does create uncertainty,” Councillor Sarah Hamilton said. “The city is still moving forward as part of that bid and if we’re successfully, and fingers crossed we are, it gives us the opportunity to go back to the province and ask them for money, post-bid.”

I feel like the city of Vancouver should have taken this approach.  Ensured they stayed in it for a while longer.

Is the supposed "blank cheque" much different than the "blank cheque" handed over for the Women's World Cup? We seemed to survive that in one fiscal piece.

The blank cheque line is a political spin. Fact is all of these international sporting organizations make demands - the bigger they are, the more outrageous the demands - and you have to decide if you want in or not.

Vancouver wanted in on 2010 Olympics, FIFA Women's World Cup, and a host of other international sport events that have worked out well for Vancouver, for BC, for Canada, for the fans and for the organization.

The only thing that has changed is the government which appears to have been poorly briefed and didn't understand the impact of this decision. Vancouver will get no international Men's games now for a decade. A real shame given what a huge success the World Cup qualifiers were. 

I don't know why you guys are so surprise. TAKE off your soccer fan hats for a second.

We're talking millions of dollars in spending for gutting the pitch, renovating, security and all the perks for FIFA over maybe 3-4 games...with no guarantees or breakdown of costs.

Who's to say the US aren't just going to dump on us the 2 worst groups? Once your 3-4 games are done, the tourists and so called boost to the economy are all going south of the border leaving our governments with the tab to put everything back together.

The Women's world Cup was 100% in Canada so more games per locations which justified the cost...but this is where reality reels it's ugly head. It's a very tough ask to be signing blank checks for maybe just 3 games for the massive endeavor that hosting entails.

Even Chicago pulled out. I'm a world cup fan as much as everyone but getting only 10 games split between 3-4 cities was always a tough sell except for Quebec and Ontario.

I'm all for a solo bid and I do wish that we "help the US win the 2026 United States World Cup" but you got to see it from government's perspective too

https://www.brookings.edu/book/circus-maximus/

How did we get here? And is it worth it? Those are among the questions noted sports economist Andrew Zimbalist answers in Circus Maximus: The Economic Gamble Behind Hosting the Olympics and the World Cup. Both the Olympics and the World Cup are touted as major economic boons for the countries that host them, and the competition is fierce to win hosting rights. Developing countries especially see the events as a chance to stand in the world’s spotlight.

Circus Maximus traces the path of the Olympic Games and the World Cup from noble sporting events to exhibits of excess. It exposes the hollowness of the claims made by their private industry boosters and government supporters, all illustrated through a series of case studies ripping open the experiences of Barcelona, Sochi, Rio, and London.

Zimbalist finds no net economic gains for the countries that have played host to the Olympics or the World Cup. While the wealthy may profit, those in the middle and lower income brackets do not, and Zimbalist predicts more outbursts of political anger like that seen in Brazil surrounding the 2014 World Cup.

“Circus Maximus provides a comprehensive compendium of the benefits and costs of hosting the Olympics or soccer’s World Cup. Andrew Zimbalist documents how the officials who run the international sports organizations that authorize these events profit handsomely, while host cities and nations experience ever-increasing losses. The book also explains why before-the-fact claims that such events will deliver long-term economic benefits typically are wildly inaccurate. A citizen or public official who contemplates supporting a bid to host a sports mega-event ought to read this book.”

—Roger Noll, Professor of Economics, Stanford University

32 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

https://www.brookings.edu/book/circus-maximus/

How did we get here? And is it worth it? Those are among the questions noted sports economist Andrew Zimbalist answers in Circus Maximus: The Economic Gamble Behind Hosting the Olympics and the World Cup. Both the Olympics and the World Cup are touted as major economic boons for the countries that host them, and the competition is fierce to win hosting rights. Developing countries especially see the events as a chance to stand in the world’s spotlight.

Circus Maximus traces the path of the Olympic Games and the World Cup from noble sporting events to exhibits of excess. It exposes the hollowness of the claims made by their private industry boosters and government supporters, all illustrated through a series of case studies ripping open the experiences of Barcelona, Sochi, Rio, and London.

Zimbalist finds no net economic gains for the countries that have played host to the Olympics or the World Cup. While the wealthy may profit, those in the middle and lower income brackets do not, and Zimbalist predicts more outbursts of political anger like that seen in Brazil surrounding the 2014 World Cup.

“Circus Maximus provides a comprehensive compendium of the benefits and costs of hosting the Olympics or soccer’s World Cup. Andrew Zimbalist documents how the officials who run the international sports organizations that authorize these events profit handsomely, while host cities and nations experience ever-increasing losses. The book also explains why before-the-fact claims that such events will deliver long-term economic benefits typically are wildly inaccurate. A citizen or public official who contemplates supporting a bid to host a sports mega-event ought to read this book.”

—Roger Noll, Professor of Economics, Stanford University

Haven't read the book but aren't most of these costs due to the construction of new stadiums? That's not the case here. At most they would have to install a grass field for a few weeks.

29 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Circus Maximus...

This is why Canada ever hosting a Men's World Cup on our own, especially if it stays at 48 teams, is beyond reason.  There would just be too many huge stadiums to build that would not have a use afterwards.  I was/am hoping that the United Bid made sense because it would split some of the costs between the 3 countries and Canada could get by with only using a few existing stadiums that are reasonably able to host.  Toronto is the one with the most work to do on that to get a reasonable capacity.

The Moroccans will have to get a good deal on the remaining living slaves in Qatar to build their stadiums... good luck to them.

Isnt Zimbalist the guy who has been railing against the Olympics for years...even trying to stop Boston's bid for the summer games?  Calgary turned a profit, Vancouver at least didnt lose much cash (break even?).  The legacy of the facilities built for Calgary are well documented.  World class Olympic park sled/sliding, ski jumps, skating ovals etc built for those games have reaped benefits for almost 30 years. I guess that doesnt exactly count as  long-term economic benefits  but I think most would agree it was money well spent.  

This wont be the same, We wont build new stadiums and go billions in debt..we didnt with the olympics either (not counting montreal).  We are just getting a tiny chunk of the WC.  I dont get how we can at the same time complain that we want more (some even saying we should be on our own for the whole thing) but the provincial gov is telling us the 10 games we are getting are going to be too expensive.  

13 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

This wont be the same, We wont build new stadiums and go billions in debt..we didnt with the olympics either (not counting montreal).  We are just getting a tiny chunk of the WC.  I dont get how we can at the same time complain that we want more (some even saying we should be on our own for the whole thing) but the provincial gov is telling us the 10 games we are getting are going to be too expensive.  

The provincial government is well aware that they aren't getting 10 games but potentially up to 3 games. The costs of prepping the event for just 3 games does make it hard to justify when you think of all the security spending, gutting the pitch at BC Place and most likely putting it back the way it was and so on and so on.

So all those millions for 3 games than the whole circus and money goes down south. I too question the long term economic benefits for just 3 games, especially when FIFA is just asking for a check with no guarantees.

A solo bid would have meant more games and all those visitors staying longer and spending more over a longer period of time. 

Like I said, I want the games but I get where BC and Alberta are coming from

I hear you Ansem.  I just remember TFC spending 250g on temp grass for a friendly against Real Madrid.  Thinking it was a good idea and worth the expense to get bigger gate and build up the clubs profile.  I think the grass lasted almost 2 weeks.  Plenty of time for the first round of WC.  If that was good enough for Real madrid, why not enough for 3 games in Vancouver, or Edmonton?  Let BMO with real grass have any later games.  

1 hour ago, Northvansteve said:

Haven't read the book but aren't most of these costs due to the construction of new stadiums?

Me neither and I don't know.

Just posting up something possibly worth reading for those who are interested, in particular those who support the skepticism of the provincial governments.

For myself, I think FIFA has gotten too big for its britches and the time to do something about it is upon us. Even if it turns out to be an economic opportunity missed.

Archived