2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

12 hours ago, ted said:

Wait a minute? You want to complain about being over-taxed but are OK with BC taxpayers writing a blank cheque to perhaps THE single-most corrupt organization on the planet?

That makes no sense.

Here is a good summary of why they said, "not yet" (they NEVER said "No" to the bid.):

NDP Premier John Horgan wasn’t joking when he said FIFA wants a blank cheque from governments bidding to host 2026 World Cup games. 

The corruption-tainted world soccer governing body will get a United States-led bid that includes cities in Mexico and Canada, but not Vancouver, host of the 2015 Women’s World Cup final. 

Talks broke down between the United Bid Committee and the British Columbia government, ahead of the March 16 deadline. Horgan balked at FIFA’s expensive wish list, from a sweetheart lease of B.C. Place Stadium to onerous security costs. 

Full Article>>

Here's an article by the Province's political columnist Mike Smyth

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

In related news, the Alberta government also won't support the Edmonton bid now:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4086373/edmonton-2026-world-cup-bid/

...but they still seem to be one of the possible cities despite that:

...A joint news conference between the City of Edmonton, federal government and Canada Soccer has been scheduled in Edmonton on Friday morning. A media release states Minister of Infrastructure and Communities Amarjeet Sohi will be on hand to make “a sports announcement.”...

11 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Here's an article by the Province's political columnist Mike Smyth

Honestly, after reading this, I am 100% on board with the withdrawal. Sadly corruption is all too rampant in Canada, US and Mexico so FIFA should find lots of willing partners elsewhere. 

14 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I hear you Ansem.  I just remember TFC spending 250g on temp grass for a friendly against Real Madrid.  Thinking it was a good idea and worth the expense to get bigger gate and build up the clubs profile.  I think the grass lasted almost 2 weeks.  Plenty of time for the first round of WC.  If that was good enough for Real madrid, why not enough for 3 games in Vancouver, or Edmonton?  Let BMO with real grass have any later games.  

It was mentioned by one of the Edmonton city councilman several months ago that they would not have temporary grass at Commonwealth for WC games. The field turf is scheduled to be replaced around 2026 so they would pull the old turf out, install grass, then pull out the grass after the WC and put in the new field turf.This would help to reduce the overall costs. Not sure if they would leave the grass for the whole Esks season.

14 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Let's say 3 games in BC Place at 50,000 seats x $100 avg. ticket price. That's $15M of gate for minimal investment.

$15M minus:

a) unspecified FIFA cut, b ) unspecified USSF cut, c) unspecified expenses for VIPs, d) unspecified...etc.

6 minutes ago, kacbru said:

$15M minus:

a) unspecified FIFA cut, b ) unspecified USSF cut, c) unspecified expenses for VIPs, d) unspecified...etc.

More like plus transfers from FIFA....the sponsor and TV money are outrageous. All 3 host nations already have most infrastructure built. This tournament would be like a money tree for everyone involved.

15 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Let's say 3 games in BC Place at 50,000 seats x $100 avg. ticket price. That's $15M of gate for minimal investment.

The average ticket price for men's World Cup will probably be closer to $250.

$100 will be for the nosebleeds, if you are lucky.

I'd guess Cat 1-4: $100-$400.

8 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

More like plus transfers from FIFA....the sponsor and TV money are outrageous. All 3 host nations already have most infrastructure built. This tournament would be like a money tree for everyone involved.

Ditto for selling drugs.;)

3 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

The average ticket price for men's World Cup will probably be closer to $250.

$100 will be for the nosebleeds, if you are lucky.

I was trying to keep it low so no one said i was fudging numbers. At Euro they had the seats behind both nets at a big discount so i could see something similar, but then the bulk of the seats at $200+. $10M per match is not crazy to expect especially if it's a decent match up.

13 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

I was trying to keep it low so no one said i was fudging numbers. At Euro they had the seats behind both nets at a big discount so i could see something similar, but then the bulk of the seats at $200+. $10M per match is not crazy to expect especially if it's a decent match up.

Yeah, I'd probably double your original numbers to ballpark gross ticket revenue. I think we would sell a lot of "novelty value" tickets so that even the crappy match-ups will have decent attendance.

19 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

Is the supposed "blank cheque" much different than the "blank cheque" handed over for the Women's World Cup? We seemed to survive that in one fiscal piece.

The blank cheque line is a political spin. Fact is all of these international sporting organizations make demands - the bigger they are, the more outrageous the demands - and you have to decide if you want in or not.

Vancouver wanted in on 2010 Olympics, FIFA Women's World Cup, and a host of other international sport events that have worked out well for Vancouver, for BC, for Canada, for the fans and for the organization.

The only thing that has changed is the government which appears to have been poorly briefed and didn't understand the impact of this decision. Vancouver will get no international Men's games now for a decade. A real shame given what a huge success the World Cup qualifiers were. 

It’s political sexism! Lol

or maybe Vancouver doesn’t want a riot again, this time w Russian/English hooligans taking over the streets like they did in Marseille. ;)

23 minutes ago, Moldy9 said:

It’s political sexism! Lol

or maybe Vancouver doesn’t want a riot again, this time w Russian/English hooligans taking over the streets like they did in Marseille. ;)

More like Burkina Fasoian and Chinese hooligans with the games we are likely to be given by the US, er, Joint Bid Committee, but I take your point! :)

23 hours ago, Ansem said:

I don't know why you guys are so surprise. TAKE off your soccer fan hats for a second.

We're talking millions of dollars in spending for gutting the pitch, renovating, security and all the perks for FIFA over maybe 3-4 games...with no guarantees or breakdown of costs.

Who's to say the US aren't just going to dump on us the 2 worst groups? Once your 3-4 games are done, the tourists and so called boost to the economy are all going south of the boarder leading our governments with the tab to put everything back together.

The Women's world Cup was 100% in Canada so more games per locations which justified the cost...but this is where reality reels it's ugly head. It's a very tough ask to be signing blank checks for maybe just 3 games for the massive endeavour that hosting entails.

Even Chicago pulled out. I'm a world cup fan as much as everyone but getting only 10 games split between 3-4 cities was always a tough sell except for Quebec and Ontario.

I'm all for a solo bid and I do wish that we "help the US win the 2026 United States World Cup" but you got to see it from government's perspective too

Oh ok so if this was a solo bid the cities of Edmonton and Vancouver would be 100% behind it ? Let me put it you this way, if this united bid fails even in your lifetime,  and I’m assuming your still pretty young as opposed to me and few of us old farts on here , you will not see a World Cup hosting by only Canada even in your lifetime. So a united bid is the only chance we will all see a World Cup in Canada in all of  us on these boards no matter what our ages are right now. The potential impact even a united bid can have on Soccer in Canada is immense, expecially for the kick start it can give to the CPL, if this United bid fails good luck if we ever see a World Cup in Canada in all of our lifetime no matter what age we are all now.

On 3/15/2018 at 8:39 PM, Ansem said:

I don't know why you guys are so surprise. TAKE off your soccer fan hats for a second.

We're talking millions of dollars in spending for gutting the pitch, renovating, security and all the perks for FIFA over maybe 3-4 games...with no guarantees or breakdown of costs.

Who's to say the US aren't just going to dump on us the 2 worst groups? Once your 3-4 games are done, the tourists and so called boost to the economy are all going south of the boarder leading our governments with the tab to put everything back together.

The Women's world Cup was 100% in Canada so more games per locations which justified the cost...but this is where reality reels it's ugly head. It's a very tough ask to be signing blank checks for maybe just 3 games for the massive endeavour that hosting entails.

Even Chicago pulled out. I'm a world cup fan as much as everyone but getting only 10 games split between 3-4 cities was always a tough sell except for Quebec and Ontario.

I'm all for a solo bid and I do wish that we "help the US win the 2026 United States World Cup" but you got to see it from government's perspective too

Those that were pulling out so publicly and diciding to claim the moral high ground had no real shot to get in. Chicago didn't make the long list for the 2022 bod, and that made the news.

More the odds that LA, San Fran, Seattle, Dallas, Atlanta, and NYC will get picked with the last one hosting the final.

It looks more and more that Morocco will be the winner for the June 13 decision, unless something very negative about their bid comes about. If I were not Canadian, but from a "neutral" country, I would be clearly cheering for them, as (among various other reasons) the idea of a more fan-friendly compact tournament is much better than the monster far-flung tournaments that the last 3 have been.

Several times here, I have raised the factor that FIFA demands for ridiculous concessions could well be the death of the United bid, due to the political reality of the US and Canada (and latently Mexico) requiring transparency and respect for law. Most posters here, though,  have ignored this factor, and have been in severe denial, and have been suffering from the delusion that the United win would be automatic. The high importance of this factor now apparent as seen in the rejections by Chicago, Minneapolis and Vancouver, with strong rumblings continuing in other cities. Even if the United bid were to win, there would still be a high chance other cities would drop out due to the political hot-potato, and this obvious to most of the national associations and federations who have to decide over the next few 3 months. Morocco is the safest bet in terms of organizational security. The United bid isnow close to a complete cluster-fck.

As an active supporter of the Canadian team since attending the 1967 Olympic qualifications, a large part of me would be obviously be disappointed that our chance to partially host a WC would be gone if Morocco would win the bid, I have to realize that it may be the best bid.

Mentally, I am already preparing to go to the 2026 WC in Morocco in the hope that Canada will make another WC appearance due to the expanded CONCACAF 6 1/2 places that will come in 2026. We will see in less than 3 months. 

If FIFA and its members get significantly more revenue from the United bid and there is a danger of Morocco winning in a transparent vote it may not even get that far, because from what I understand a FIFA committee gets to decide which bids meet the technical specifications and get to proceed to the voting stage in June. It's also worth noting that both bids in the fast track process could be rejected at that point and it could be opened up to UEFA and the AFC again.

You are right, there is that possibility as well, a condition made as a result of United's insistence on a fast track bid decision at Moscow. 

• "13 June 2018: the 68th FIFA Congress will decide on whether to select one of the official bids. Should neither be selected, further member associations, including those from AFC and UEFA and excluding the initial bidders, will be invited to bid."

China money is beckoning (tho they seem content on going for 2030).

On 3/15/2018 at 9:41 PM, Watchmen said:

In related news, the Alberta government also won't support the Edmonton bid now:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4086373/edmonton-2026-world-cup-bid/

The cities like Vancouver, Minneapolis, & Chicago dont have stadiums of sufficient size with grass surface so they know that their bid wont be retained unless they put alot money into it to convert the surface.  So their dropping out to save face.  

Unless Montreal commits to expanding Saputo stadium, they will next in my opinion.  Their new city government and mayor is even more to the left than the NDP governments of Alberta and BC.  

52 minutes ago, Free kick said:

The cities like Vancouver, Minneapolis, & Chicago dont have stadiums of sufficient size with grass surface so they know that their bid wont be retained unless they put alot money into it to convert the surface.  So their dropping out to save face.  

Unless Montreal commits to expanding Saputo stadium, they will next in my opinion.  Their new city government and mayor is even more to the left than the NDP governments of Alberta and BC.  

The mayor of Montreal said yesterday on TVA just before the game that she is supporting the bid and aware of the renovations required. 

Archived