Canada - Puerto Rico: pre-match and in-match discussion [R]

jonovision

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Edit: Just posted but then saw some of your posts. That wasn't "unprofessional" and they didn't "lack determination." Give yer head a shake guys!! Wow! Yes, we are superior to PR - for sure. But don't underestimate team spirit, athleticism, and "once in a lifetime" efforts from guys. They won't get to play Canada's of Concacaf very often.

These "games of a lifetime" seem to happen more and more often ...

Changing subs is not the solution to break a stale mate, what is needed is a change in tactics. Hart had all 15 minutes at half time to do that and nothing happened. And this commentator guy Forrest needs to become a referee first, gain some 20 years experience, become a FIFA referee, then, he can criticize the referee's decisions.

Really not good enough. Sorry but Dunfield and JDG can't play together ever again. Credit to PR, they played well and were very hard to break down but no urgency from us until the last 15 mins or so. I'm just glad I didn't spend the money to travel to see that tripe. I've been very supportive of Hart's reign but sorry, this was not good enough.

That was our Gold Cup team again. Same old problem. Not creative enough in open play.

1. For Ricketts' first few minutes I was thinking "Has to start the next match..." but his decision-making was shocking after early bright bits.

2. Occean isn't a strong enough technical player to lead our line. Athleticism, yes. Same Occean as the last WCQ cycle.

3. Edgar and Straith are excellent for who they are and the level they play. Either can fill in at the RB spot when Andre, Kevin, and Dejan are available.

4. SIMPSON HAS TO PLAY CENTRALLY!!!! He was the only one showing the ability to unlock the defense by himself or for his teammates. Move DeRo to CM or Wing.

5. I feel for Jackson....wonder why it doesn't fall for him on the nats...

6. LARS!!!! #1

The guys huffed and puffed. They truly did work hard. They did.

Disappointed JDC didn't get into the game, but I can understand it. We didn't see the training sessions and maybe he is out of his depth still at 19 years old....when we beat St. Kitt's in the next match and lock-up the group (a draw will do it too) I suggest calling a North-Am-based squad for the last two games plus any u23-eligible oversea's players.

Sorry guys....I know you worked hard. Until we get the Junior's and Jonathan's of the Canadian landscape into our squad we might not have "that player" ... oh ya, we have one - SIMPSON! PLAY HIM CENTRALLY!

Edit: Just posted but then saw some of your posts. That wasn't "unprofessional" and they didn't "lack determination." Give yer head a shake guys!! Wow! Yes, we are superior to PR - for sure. But don't underestimate team spirit, athleticism, and "once in a lifetime" efforts from guys. They won't get to play Canada's of Concacaf very often.

I mean honestly....Armenia may qualify for Euro 2012! Spirit and athleticism can go a long way - Greece. This was a huge one for PR - they are flying home thrilled with themselves for getting "a huge tie away up north."

I TOTALLY AGREE

CANADA HAS ELIMINATED PUERTO RICO TODAY....guys is a world cup game we played ....it is gonna be tough there is no small teams anymore...keep it up.......!!!! undefeated 1 st of the group....this is the f....ing WORLD CUP yes and this games dont help to get stronger....come on !!!

Changing subs is not the solution to break a stale mate, what is needed is a change in tactics. Hart had all 15 minutes at half time to do that and nothing happened. And this commentator guy Forrest needs to become a referee first, gain some 20 years experience, become a FIFA referee, then, he can criticize the referee's decisions.

Not a chance. When we are playing team this crappy, we should be able to score and create more chance without any tactics at all. We are not playing Brazil, what does tactics have to do with when you you are playing a minnow.

REALLY?!?!? Holy #$&@ing Sh@t that was disgusting.

Now that I feel better...

We have to seriously question Hart from here on out. I admire that he has tryed to emphasize a clever passing game, but he has turned the team into a complete one trick pony. It does not seem to me that we have changed anything since the Gold Cup. We struggle to create chances, let alone take an actual shot.

This was not a case of Puerto Rico being a defensive dynamo, this result must fall squarley on the teams shoulders. The boys are scuttling their own chances of winning by using an overly elaborate system of passes. All the team do is look for a latteral or back pass, or to lay it off in front of goal for somone else. This style is meant to be played at a higher tempo and sharp, quick and forward as well as backward movement is ABSOLUTLEY NESSISARY to make it work. If a team playing the system we are TRYING to does not do this, it is doomed to fail. Our problems lay squarley in our absolute refusal to move off the ball quickly or to make forward passes, or run the ball forward and then make a defensive splitting ball to the center or up the wings. However we would probably have done better if Jazic and Ledgerwood were true overlapping offensive minded fullbacks. Personally, I dont want to see either of these guys again as starters, if it can be helped. Dunfield should only be brought on as a defensive sub to protect a good result. Julian Deguzman should be be enouraged to go forward, make plays and take shots. He is at his best when he does this as well as defend. I have never agreed with anyone who says Julian is a defensive mid. In reality he is an excellent transition player whom is wasted simply baby sitting any back line.

Today, Canada looked like TFC before the overhaul. Everything is passed backwards and no one has the requiered offensive movement. Speaking of TFC, I think that Nick Lyndsay Should have been given a chance at left back, the kid is more of the offensive fullback type we need. Why Hart Didntcap tie DiChiara is also beyond me. Also, what a golden opportunity missed to pick up much needed ranking points and build our home fan base!

The thing that really scares me is that should St. Kitts win tonight and it does come down to our home and home series, this game tonight will give them added belief that they mabey could beat us to top spot.

Todays result shows that if Hart does not call in some more offensive minded players, and try a different formation and or style of play, we are going to have wasted the most plumb draw of a lifetime. I hope Hart has learned his lesson, if he does not in the next two games, even if we advance, please show him the door!

P.S. Jerry and Craig! DeRo played pretty good, but Man of the Match for us should have been Lars and no one else. He saved us from what would have been one of the the most embarrasing losses of all time!

I never been a fan of Hart but i think he should be judged when this WCQ qualifying is over, to early to be calling for his head. I would like to have a technical director and head coach but CSA does not have the cash-flow to support that. I think Hart would be perfect in the TD role.

It seemed to me like there was too much of an emphasis on trying to get DeRo a goal for the first 3/4 of the match. He was playing way too high for a centre mid which caused our wingers and Hume to play deeper, thus negating their speed.

I think if we had used DeRo in a distribution role, and taken advantage of our speed out wide, we would have created more chances.

The team needs to work on incisive passing and movement to break down the bunker, there wasn't the type of direction and tactical acumen either in midfield or on the bench tonight. Dunfield's not going to be good enough, and certainly I agree that without Hutchinson the team is really missing a spark. That said, good news from Basseterre, and a draw in the next fixture still gets the job done with a game to spare. Good for St. Lucia coming back after Friday and playing St. Kitts and Nevis tough all the way, they could have completely folded and they didn't.

Back from the game. Disappointing that we didn't get a better result & performance in front of a large, completely pro-Canada crowd (as in I didn't see a single Puerto Rican jersey in the stands, not that I got a look at all 12,000 or so). I know that we were severely shorthanded with so many injuries, but the players on the field simply didn't shoot enough, trying to almost pass the ball into the net - Simpson's breakaway chance where he crossed rather than blasting it in was the most prominent example of this. By the 2nd half this tactic should have changed, which raises a few eyebrows about the coach - the game reminded me of the final two games in the Gold Cup, to be honest. Granted, PR surprised me with how defensive they were, they were playing for pride instead of actually trying to qualify it would seem with so many players behind the ball the whole game. It was really weird when the whistle blew that the PR were celebrating their elimination from the World Cup - okay, maybe their hopes and aspirations were not that high, but had they actually won this game they still had a decent chance to get through the group with two games coming up against the weak team of the group, I'm surprised they were so content to be eliminated.

Fortunately St. Kitts only drew with St. Lucia, so at the end of the night we are where I thought we'd be - only needing a draw in the final two games to go through - but we didn't get there the way I thought we did. Still, if we can't get a single point against St. Kitts in two tries, one of which will be in mid-November on a cold Toronto night, we don't deserve to go through.

OK. Back from the game and some quick hits without having read through other comments. Obviously extremely disappointing performance that gives me very little hope for the next round. We still can't score when we need to, have zero creativity or ability to break down a defensive opponent... furthermore I fear for future home crowds after this abismal display. The players plead for more support but give the crowd absolutely nothing to enjoy or appreciate. Why would the casual fan come back after that? Us hardcores will be there regardless but when the players complain about support and home crowds then go on and lay an absolute egg like this it desnt give them much leverage in the future to b*itch. Also, from where I was in 114 the crowd was awful. Tons and tons of passengers who didnt participate in sh*t and in fact one guy had the balls to pull my scarf down from behind me when I had it up... f*ckin ridiculous..don't know who these people are but sit elsewhere if you're not willing to participate. All in all a very subdued quiet crowd that was pretty demoralizing.

Now the positives... I suppose an entirely pro Canada crowd although we still can't seem to crack 12k although after performances like tonight's that's more than can be expected for future home matches.

F*ck

Archived