Canada - Puerto Rico: pre-match and in-match discussion [R]

jonovision

Might as well get this thing started.

CANADA vs PUERTO RICO

7 pm et, BMO Field, Toronto, ON

TV: Sportsnet One

Dobson tweeted earlier today that De Ro will wear the armband so we know he's starting. We could probably piece together the rest of the lineup fairly easily, but no lineup has been posted yet.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting XI:

Simpson - Hume - Jackson

De Guzman - De Rosario - Dunfield

Jazic - Edgar - Straith - Ledgerwood

Hirschfeld

as given by Gerry Dobson on twitter. We can assume De Ro is playing behind the central striker, Hume. Simpson and Jackson on the wings, Dunfield and de Guzman as holding mids.

Compared to the lineup against St Lucia (after the Johnson injury) the changes are: Stama and Occean out, Simpson and Hirschfeld in.

HAH Jono you beat me to the punch by 5 minutes I think. Expecting a decent turn out at your match viewing get together?

Oh and mods, if you could somehow splice in my post from the thread I started, that'd be pretty slick.

Sadly enough I've got somewhere to be early this evening, so my viewing party will be me choking down some Kraft Dinner while I watch the first 20 minutes.

Fifa.com are confirming Dobson's lineup. Puerto Rico is listed as follows:

(GK) Brandon SALDAÑA

2 Scott JONES

3 Richard MARTINEZ

6 Alexis RIVERA

7 Tyler WILSON

8 Cristian ARRIETA

10 Petter VILLEGAS

14 Andres PEREZ

15 Scott HORTA

17 Andres CABRERO

18 Hector RAMOS

Im not sure of the formation, or exact positional assignments.

Go Canada! I hope we run up the score again tonight. I wish we could have seen the St. Lucia match all the way through.

I wouldn't go that far. 4-4-2 (or at least the flat version) is not what it once was to the game, teams have moved past it in many ways.

We have no dominant target and no dominant hard men in the middle, both of which you'd prefer to have to play the formation. It's the square peg in the round hole everyone keeps insisting on.

We're doing okay. Considering we're missing our two best creative midfielders in Hutchinson and Johnson, and we're up against a opponent who is just sitting in their final third defending. We've got 90% of the possession, I'm sure we'll have chances to score in the second half.

I wouldn't go that far. 4-4-2 (or at least the flat version) is not what it once was to the game, teams have moved past it in many ways.

We have no dominant target and no dominant hard men in the middle, both of which you'd prefer to have to play the formation. It's the square peg in the round hole everyone keeps insisting on.

You know it is possible to play a 4-4-2 while still keeping the ball on the deck, right? I would argue that the 4-3-3 is the square peg. Canada has consistently proven that it cannot play a 433/451 effectively. We're easily exposed at the back and fairly hopeless going forward. Our players aren't comfortable enough on the ball to play a sustained possession game that a 4-3-3 entails. Regarding a hard man in the middle; unless I'm mistaken JDG played the role of ball-winning midfielder at a pretty high level.

Extremely poor first half. Not the biggest DeRo fan but he has looked pretty good so far. However, he always seems to make the wrong decision at the last minute, shooting when he should pass or passing to someone in a worse position when he should shoot. Still he was active. Simpson really needs someone to play with him to be effective, hopefully Occean will be able to do so in 2nd half. I love Hume's heart and effort but his lack of technical ability is disappointing. He did nice on that ball he ran down and took away from the defender but should have put away that pass he got and also his backpass early on was really dangerous, no stupid actually, against Honduras the chance were good that would have ended up in our net.

The one PR corner was weakly defended but otherwise the defence has been solid. Ledgerwood is the weak spot in the back four but is at least playing physical and putting in a decent effort. Edgar and Straith are a much more mobile and ball moving CB combination than McKenna and Hainault. Our def mid has been extremely weak, I would really like to see DiChiara come in. JDG has been terrible, he seems to have lost any ability to pass accurately. His 1st half can be summed up as short passes to Puerto Ricans. Dunfield just does not seem to have the skill for international level even against Puerto Rico.

Archived