Canada - Puerto Rico: pre-match and in-match discussion [R]

jonovision

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seemed to me like there was too much of an emphasis on trying to get DeRo a goal for the first 3/4 of the match. He was playing way too high for a centre mid which caused our wingers and Hume to play deeper, thus negating their speed.

I think if we had used DeRo in a distribution role, and taken advantage of our speed out wide, we would have created more chances.

This. They were passing to Dero when other players were open. It was like attacking initiative had to go through him.

This along with our lack of speed and backpassing when we regained possession in our own half allowed all the PR players to fall back into defensive positions.

A few thoughts... until we have a playmaker we'll struggle to create against gooddefensive teams. Starting DeRo up top was baffling. Alexis Rivera has done a nice job on Simpson two games in a row. Simpson & Jackson didn't get infield enough. Running the risk of beginning a Ledgerwood apologist I thought he was very good defensively (if poor going forward). Huge save from Lars. Not easy after spectating all night..I like occean, but was disappointed. After years of *****ing about kick and run, we're playing possession soccer. And look idealess and lacking urgency while doing it far too often.

St Lucua does us a favour, but there is a lot of work to do in eight months.

Thanks to everyone (esp. Jamie) who heled make it a good night out despite the result.

cheers,

matthew

in and of itself, this is a more humiliating result than Jamaica in 08.

How the HELL do we not put ONE Fn goal past Fn Puerto Rico in our own ground? Unreal.

I dont think we took any shots from distance. We kept with the same formula going forward, and nothing. No individual display of brilliance to set us apart from freakin PR.

We need Hutchinson and Klukowski BAD.

This got to be dullest game I ever attended to. Even TFC weren't this dull to watch live at BMO field. Having too many annoying youth soccer teams (too many kids) at BMO field just made it hard to get BMO field rocking like it does during TFC games.

Canada is too slow and predictable with their passes. It seems like there isn't much off ball movement. Canada needs to shoot the ball more often from distance.

I wouldn't say more humiliating, but almost as bad.

I particularly miss Will Johnson. I find he has good pace, and his speed would have been helpful to create a breakaway(is that just a hockey saying?) those few times, especially late in the game, when the Puerto Ricans weren't being defensive.

Just got home from the match and haven't had a chance to read all of the posts but most seem very negative! We need that goal poaching center forward IMHO, many chances were created but there was no finishing touch! In the end Lars has to make the save of the game to salvage a draw! PR played 9 and 10 men behind the ball and we were just not good enough on the day to break it down! Those are the negatives, overall it was a good night with a very good pre game, it was nice to meet Josh Simpson"s Dad at Maro and the atmosphere was excellent! We're playing with 3 or 4 guys in the backline that would not normally start and we're missing our top midfielder who pulls the strings! PR never really opened up even though they needed to to avoid elimination and I have to give them credit for being well organized and tough to break down!

I don't think we can be entirely too negative about the result. More or less it's the same Canada. We can have large spells of possession but not really work the ball into the box or shoot. Bring back Atiba, Kluk and Johnson and we could've seen some goals.

12,000 Canadian supporters for a Tuesday isn't a bad turn out, don't like the booing that went on at the end of the game in 113. I'm sure a lot of us weren't happy with the result but booing our team isn't the answer.

Quick thoughts as this match nearly put me to sleep - zzzzzzzz

- Jazic was great and best crosser of the night (only decent crosser?) - weird but it looks from where I'm sitting that we have four capable LBs that are almost comparable

- We so desperately need a natural winger who can cross the ball. We are playing a system that requires us to have two of them and we apparently have NONE in our MNT program

- I don't mind Edgar back there but found Straith to be a little shaky - that slip and then a couple of airball passes -and then I think it was Adam and Edgar that combined to get savagely beaten on their attempted offside trap

- Agree with Grizz about his verdict of Hume - all heart and no final touch. Occean was replacing him as a support attacker instead being more of a CF - I thought he looked good at first moving the ball around but also was nowhere near scoring position for most of the night and really faded late.

- No Dunfield for JDC as a 70 min sub to inject some energy is just poor decision making. Hart's subs and tactics really are very amateurish and why are we all so surprised? I'd be ticked if I were Joseph.

- Ricketts is all speed and not enough true soccer sense

- Jackson won't be scoring many goals in a Canadian jersey against decent opposition. Against park leaguers is one thing, but...there isn't the right team and formation around him to let him shine. As an aide though, man did he leap for that one cross!

- Big drop going to Dunfield from Johnson. Cavernous.

- Nice looking numbers in TO and could hear many cheers loud and clear- well done lads. It must have been heard with nothing to cheer about tonight.

- Simpson needs to be played or to get himself more central. Almost completely wasted where he is and it's just the slightest of differences from where he is now, but it's making all the difference in the world, imo.

- Was lambasted during the St. Lucia match for criticizing Hart's quoted comment regarding the team (well, the offense primarily, I presume) being given the freedom to impact the game as they see fit, free from formation concerns or set strategies. I'll repeat myself as I think this match showed what happens when your best 5 or 6 attacking players pass it around like a team with no one or two players determining the attack or no strategy coming from the coach.

- Am so glad I didn't invite out a bunch of friends to show them this new version of Canadian soccer - like many of you have said why would any casual fan consider paying for what was on display tonight?

- If you can't secure three points at home against a shoddy side like PR then we have no hope against the likes of Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica, etc. Not a hope in hell. None whatsoever. Nada.

Having said that, I bleed red and white - Allez les rouges!!

How the HELL do we not put ONE Fn goal past Fn Puerto Rico in our own ground? Unreal.

I dont think we took any shots from distance. We kept with the same formula going forward, and nothing. No individual display of brilliance to set us apart from freakin PR.

1st question; Aggressive high pressure, that's how. And an all too odvious inability to turn that defensive pressure into our advantage. Playing Canada at this point, that was text book defending.

2nd part, True but I don't necessarily think we can ever expect stand-out individual brilliance from our bunch. Would be happy to have it but in the 30 years I've been following the MNT that's Fool's Gold your looking for. Tonight basic tactical measures were wanting. More close support on the forward target. A simple give & go box. Receive, lay up, penetrate to receive, penetrate as decoy. Very basic stuff to be honest which we saw too little of through out the entirety of the match.

And really, isn't that what these minnow test are about for our lads? Re-learning to recognize when it's time to accept the responsibility and be bold? To maybe play a way you don't at the club level because THAT's what the NT needs from you to do?

Last bit about Hutch, couldn't agree more. Completely different match tonight if it were Hutch for Dunfield. We'd be singing well into tomorrow.

PR were there for the taking. An opening goal by Canada and we wouldn't have seen 7 PR players behind the ball or aggressively gravitating to the ball carrier like we did. But the goal didn't happen and so we suffered the longer because of it.

P.S. One positive if you can call it that, was we didn't rush the ball. Kept possession even if it was in what Doug down at the pub called "a very negative way" that's still something. And also keep in mind this is maybe half the team (and none of the defense) we'll see next round. Just saying for those who are feeling discouraged. To my mind the problems/failings we saw tonight are very fixable with the tools available.

The one thing that really strikes me from this game is that there were relatively few fouls by either side, and we had no fouls in good position for a free kick. We didn't press near enough in the middle, causing PR to make mistakes or foul us. We stayed outside, they let us move the ball around without really being dangerous. Worst of all we did not adapt. We kept on the same failed approach time and time again.

I don't think we can be entirely too negative about the result. More or less it's the same Canada. We can have large spells of possession but not really work the ball into the box or shoot. Bring back Atiba, Kluk and Johnson and we could've seen some goals.

12,000 Canadian supporters for a Tuesday isn't a bad turn out, don't like the booing that went on at the end of the game in 113. I'm sure a lot of us weren't happy with the result but booing our team isn't the answer.

Many people in 113 didn't seem like they had even been to a soccer match before. Rows 7-10ish seemed were mostly family, guys just there to get **** faced and yell "I'm your daddy goalie" or those guys in greek jerseys talking about these "canadian pussies in the beer line who don't realize that I've lived here for 33 years so I'm more Canadian than they are" without realizing the irony in wearing a ****ing Greece jersey to a CAN/PR match. Then he wanted to go gang beat whoever it was he was arguing with but the others brushed off the silly notion...*facepalm*

Anyways, yeah so those rows had nobody really "involved" in the support and what was happening was all the songs starting at the front were losing timing with those in the back right off the bat.....it sounded rough and was hard to get involved with since the timings were way off.

Wrap that up with the game lacking much excitement, my buddy ditching me so I was there solo and I'd say that was a pretty ho-hum WCQ experience. At least the TTC Streetcar I got on wasn't taking fares!

As for the CMNT:

I was pleased with Edgar and mildly amused with Straith. Ledgerwood shown me that we need another option going into next round because he's not the answer. Jazic is showing good veteran depth at FB and I think he'll be of use this cycle.

In the mid, Dunfield was a nightmare, JDG was overthinking and not reacting fast enough with the ball....Will and Atiba are just so vital to our starting XI.

Attacking players...DeRo put a few good runs together and had a decent strike in the 1st half, (lol at his tackle on JDG), Simpson's dribbling ability continues to not find much success in international play...he seems to lose more than he wins. Hume, my boy, failed to score what should have been an easy one...he works hard and found himself in decent position when he could so it wasn't all bad. Jackson tried his damndest but I would agree that I think he was a bit fatigued. Occean did not seem to be on the same page as his teammates as a few times he got mixed up with them/on top of them. I'd like to see him spend more time with the team as I think he can do well vs CONCACAF opposition. Ricketts is definitely the late game hail mary pass...but it's not effective vs a team that's been 10 men behind the ball since the opening kick.

Lastly Lars was good. Didn't have to do much but did everything right that came his way.

One more item....Corner kicks. DeRo is just not good at them. He's a striker not a passer. Wish he'd stop taking them but I really don't know who should be doing it.

Hart's comment post game was dissapointing. He said PR were hard to break down so he told his players to just start whipping crosses in to see what happens. Seriously? Hart clearly never had any ideas how to break down PR.

Ledgerwood: Okay defensively, but moves the ball too slow. 4.5

JDG: had an okay game, he gave the ball away once but he allows us to keep posession. 5.5

Edgar: did his job defensively but moves the ball too slow. 5

Straith: same but is slightly better on the ball, which surprised me (I thought it would be the other way around). 5

Jazic: was fine, the bare minimum we need from a player in terms of skill and technical ability. 5.25

Dunfield: Just doesn't have it. Too many backpasses, doesn't move the ball quick enough, but is alright on the defensive end. 4.5

DeRosario: Only player who really provides any innovation. I fear the day when he retires. 6

Simpson: Good player, but really we need 11 players who are on his level at the bare minimum. 5.5

Jackson: Same as Simpson. 5.5

Occean: Good depth player, but just not good enough technically. 5

Hume: I like his heart, I don't understand why people question his technique when he is actually above average for our squad in this area. (which is sad) 5.25

We seriously lack quality. DeRo, JDG, Simpson, Jackson are our only real "starter" quality players we had tonight. When these players have the ball they are comfortable and just by the way they play you can tell they are a notch above the rest of the team.

Until we have at least 14 players of this pedigree we are not going to advance. It is plain to see that these are our only players with enough quality to get us through CONCACAF.

Of the injured players I would say Hutch, Klukowski, De Jong, McKenna and MAYBE Johnson are good enough as well.

How is too late, its only a draw, we will this group, next one is going to be pivotal for Hart, he has had some decent result as manager.

Why do you think it will be too late??

I do not think the next group should be pivotal for Hart, he should be fired before he destroys our WCQ chances. He is living off the fumes from a decent Gold Cup run years ago. He is basically a rookie manager with no experience. He doesn't inspire the team, doesn't set good tactics, doesn't select teams that adequately cover all positions, does not adjust in game, etc. Someday the CSA has to find the money to actually hire a half decent manager for this team. How are we going to advance to the Hex like this? Forget Honduras and Panama, even Cuba would have beat us tonight.

Someone mentioned we need a playmaker. Well, we have one. We actually have two. Hutch and Simpson. But on the night we had Hutch. Heck, maybe even JDG is a playmaker if moved forward to AM.

Simpson created his best stuff from the right.

So why not play him centrally where he can be a Trequarista. Imagine him in front of Hutch and JDG but supporting Hume or Jackson. Putting any number of other guys on the wings in that instance. Probably a fit Hume wide right....

Simpson put into the #10 please!

The one thing that really strikes me from this game is that there were relatively few fouls by either side, and we had no fouls in good position for a free kick. We didn't press near enough in the middle, causing PR to make mistakes or foul us. We stayed outside, they let us move the ball around without really being dangerous. Worst of all we did not adapt. We kept on the same failed approach time and time again.

Does our team practice standards? We rarely seem to even get scoring opportunites from them let alone score. Is there not one guy who can actually take a decent corner? And why do we continually stick with the same guys taking corners when they are so poor. Yes when we are doing something poorly, we seem to keep on doing it the same way in the dumb hope that maybe one time we will get it right.

Of my group, about 8 people had never been to a Canada soccer game before and probably 6 will never come back. If they had just scored one goal, everyone would have gone away happy and looking forward to November. Very few positives, other than the large # of pro-Canada fans for a Tuesday early night (they need to start these games at 7:30 or 8). Those in my group who weren't soccer fans knew enough to expect that Canada should have convincingly beat a minnow like Puerto Rico. They really shat the bed tonight.

Someone mentioned we need a playmaker. Well, we have one. We actually have two. Hutch and Simpson. But on the night we had Hutch. Heck, maybe even JDG is a playmaker if moved forward to AM.

Simpson created his best stuff from the right.

So why not play him centrally where he can be a Trequarista. Imagine him in front of Hutch and JDG but supporting Hume or Jackson. Putting any number of other guys on the wings in that instance. Probably a fit Hume wide right....

Simpson put into the #10 please!

Hutchinson is not the playmaker we need and neither is Simpson. Hutchinson is a player who is good technically and makes good decisions. Simpson is a player who can create for himself when running at defenders.

I hate to say this but we need a JDG2 kind of player and we simply do not have one. If only we had a player with the technical ability and decision making of Hutchinson, but also with the imagination and offensive mindset of De Rosario.

Of my group, about 8 people had never been to a Canada soccer game before and probably 6 will never come back. If they had just scored one goal, everyone would have gone away happy and looking forward to November. Very few positives, other than the large # of pro-Canada fans for a Tuesday early night (they need to start these games at 7:30 or 8). Those in my group who weren't soccer fans knew enough to expect that Canada should have convincingly beat a minnow like Puerto Rico. They really shat the bed tonight.

Same here... I had to hustle a bunch of friends to get out to the game. Brought a group of 10 but do.t expect most will come back and I do t blame them seeing g as they're not diehards... I sold them on "its a game we'll actually win!" Alas... the struggle continues but this time the players have to shoulder a lot of the blame for not building crowd support...

I'm a little surprised to see Dunfield being singled out for so much scorn. I mean, I by no means thought he was good but I certainly didn't think he was the problem. De Guzman was worse.

How was De Guzman worse than Dunfield? Neither was spectacular but at least De Guzman looked for chances to advance the ball. At times you can tell that the players in front of him were not making enough runs and creating space though. Julian also passed and moved. Dunfield keeps posession but doesn't look to move the ball forward enough and doesn't move around and make himself available for the ball as well as De Guzman.

But that is just how I seen it I guess.

How was De Guzman worse than Dunfield? Neither was spectacular but at least De Guzman looked for chances to advance the ball. At times you can tell that the players in front of him were not making enough runs and creating space though. Julian also passed and moved. Dunfield keeps posession but doesn't look to move the ball forward enough and doesn't move around and make himself available for the ball as well as De Guzman.

It's not just how you saw it. I saw it the same way.

I thought both were extremely poor. Kind of a moot point to argue who was the worse of the two.

Archived