Canada - Puerto Rico: pre-match and in-match discussion [R]

jonovision

Guest Brethers

Never looked like scoring. We were **** in the final third. Really properly rounded off my bollocks day. That formation is horrendous.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh, good old 11-man, tooth and nails defense.... happens to the best of them... probably a good indication of what we'll see from Cuba next round... gotta find a a way to puncture that.... all the possession in the world won't buy a goal when you don't have strikers of great individual industry and creativity, which is our major weakness

It looked like a decent crowd at BMO looked like a bigger crowd then the home game against St. Lucia,however, after that crap performance don't think many will be back, just a pathertic performance against basicaly a NASL team.

To say that Puerto Rico fielded "basicallly an NASL team" is being very generous. The used several students, a few guys from the two local leagues and a kid (Horta) who was only able to play because his grad school/internship plans got jammed up.

Canada had a bad night but I think that Keano is dead on--this match could be very important in helping Canada prepare for Cuba.

To say that Puerto Rico fielded "basicallly an NASL team" is being very generous. The used several students, a few guys from the two local leagues and a kid (Horta) who was only able to play because his grad school/internship plans got jammed up.

Canada had a bad night but this match could be very important in helping Canada prepare for Cuba (if Cuba advances to the next round as anticipated by many).

Of course they're anticipated to advance, they have a bloody automatic berth in the next round.

I'm back in Montreal, after quite the infuriating evening. We need someone who can put the ball in the back of then net, it's as simple as that. If we can't find a centre forward who scores goals for Canada by the time next round starts we are screwed. I say try Simpson, try anyone in these next two games, because we need a forward soon.

Secondly Dunfield and De Guzman offer nothing going forward in games like these, if we are going to play two holding midfielders we need one of them to have the ability to play a through ball, or at least a cutting pass into the opponents final third. The passing from Dunfield and De Guzman was pathetic no imagination what so ever, just the same easy balls that help Canada hold onto to possession but don't threaten the other back four at all. In the current formation playing without someone who can carve open the opponents with a ball from midfield is useless.

I've always been a big Hart backer, and I think I still am, but last night was the first game that my confidence in him started to waiver. He has had the time to prepare, but something clearly isn't working. Dale Mitchell's Canada wouldn't have tied Puerto Rico, he may have gone out to play a little to offensively and lost the game on the counter (ie. Honduras), but that team would not have drawn last night's game. I really hope Hart's Canada comes out with two great games against St. Kitts and then impresses in the friendlies before June, because if the pressure starts to mount on him like it did on Mitchell things could get very bad.

All in all a very disappointing night and please if anyone is in Lancashire right now, distract Hoilett as much as possible make sure this result isn't broadcast anywhere because if he ever needed something to sway his decision one way or the other last night may just have been it.

We need someone who can put the ball in the back of then net, it's as simple as that. If we can't find a centre forward who scores goals for Canada by the time next round starts we are screwed.

His name is Junior Hoilet :( :(

Secondly Dunfield and De Guzman offer nothing going forward in games like these, if we are going to play two holding midfielders we need one of them to have the ability to play a through ball, or at least a cutting pass into the opponents final third.

His name is Atiba Hutchinson :( :(

This result does not shock me in the least, we are who we are! Like everyone else, I thought after the St. Lucia pounding we should be set up to score some more goals against PR but that just wasn't the case! Games like this happen in football, it's frustrating and I feel we really have some questions to answer but it's not shocking! Many of you forget why we're even playing in this round, we're ranked very low and not very good! Until our best Canadians start playing for their country this will continue! Overall it wasn't a good performance from the players or coach and was obviously very disappointing to the good size crowd that turned up! I don't think any of the players played particularly well but I think the criticism of JDG and Dunfield has more to do with club bias than anything else, they were no worse than the rest of a poor lot on the evening!

I think it was bunkering + conscious conservative play. No one got hurt, no one got cards.

In doing so PR was eliminated and we need one point to clinch against St. Kitts.

While this was not a game for the fans, it also doesn't indicate the team is terrible or incapable.

It was such an awful game to watch, I am quite certain it was by instruction.

conscious conservative play. No one got hurt, no one got cards.

This is an interesting point, you think Hart would do that at home, when there is such a push for MNT popularity right now? Perhaps... if it was the case it was probably a PR mistake even if smart football

Still he seemed too gutted and upset at the end for a guy who had told them not to press

I think it was bunkering + conscious conservative play. No one got hurt, no one got cards.

Unfortunately or maybe fortunately to some of you haterz, Julian DeGuzman did receive a yellow in the second half! I'm not sure if he has others in this round or what his elegibilty status for the next match will be!

edit: I just checked and that's his first caution of this round!

Obviously the match sucked, going by your responses (I still have only seen the first 20 minutes). The result, combined with the St Kitts draw, is not quite so dire. Canada will advance.

What will happen in the next group? I'm not sure. While Canada has been poor at creating chances against bunkering teams (Guadeloupe at Gold Cup, Panama at Gold Cup until they fell behind, last night) under Hart we have generally created and converted chances against teams that are actually willing to play football against us.

I don't think last night tells us much about our chances against Honduras and Panama in the next round that we didn't already know. The biggest danger of a repeat performance would be dropping points against Cuba, which would completely sink any hopes he might still have.

I like Hart and he comes off as personable in his interviews, but he is clearly running out of ideas. Would the CSA actually practice what they've recently been preaching about supporting the national teams with $$ and shell out for a new (experienced international) coach after this round?

Some are wondering if Hart is the guy...I am wondering also. But without CSA $$$ to buy a serious coach....

I had suggested Simpson should be our #10 - and someone countered that saying he isn't appropriate for the role and that we need JDG2!> Well, piss off. We don't have JDG2 and won't have him. Simpson in the #10 supported by Hutch and JDG is an excellent trio. De Ro can be moved to a "super sub" role.

I think Ricketts should get more time though he was terrible in 10 of his 15 minutes last night. I like him generally.

JDC should be expected to get capped in game 6 - assuming of course we win or tie v. St. Kitts in the next match. A win/tie in the next match should result in the olympic team mixed-in with some North Am-based guys....

Guest Brethers

DiChiara should have got cap tied last night, Dunfield is not up to scratch. I think his legs are on backwards cause he never passes forwards. Jackson is no winger and I agree that we should try Simpson in the middle. Hume is too small and lightweight to be the guy up top by himself, which is why I'd put him on the right side (if we must carry on with this formation).

Speaking of TFC, I think that Nick Lyndsay Should have been given a chance at left back, the kid is more of the offensive fullback type we need. Why Hart Didntcap tie DiChiara is also beyond me. Also, what a golden opportunity missed to pick up much needed ranking points and build our home fan base!

i beleive you were thinking of Ashtone Morgan, who has been starting LB for TFC in recent weeks ... Lindsay hasn't played at all this year due to knee surgery

I thought Ricketts looked much better than Occean last night. More energy, taller, had a lot more pace and possession ability. Maybe we should have put him in sooner.

I had a hard time assessing Occean last night. He was definitely making runs for the ball out there but I couldn't help but think that Holger would have slapped him in the back of the head -- to simply get up front and play a more defined target forward role. Go beat down the CB pairing and forget about those cutesy back-kick passes.

Ricketts is certainly blessed with pace. I still haven't figured if he knows how to use it yet, based on his short substitution appearances. We looked lost, as an offensive group, last night.

OK. Back from the game and some quick hits without having read through other comments. Obviously extremely disappointing performance that gives me very little hope for the next round. We still can't score when we need to, have zero creativity or ability to break down a defensive opponent... furthermore I fear for future home crowds after this abismal display. The players plead for more support but give the crowd absolutely nothing to enjoy or appreciate. Why would the casual fan come back after that? Us hardcores will be there regardless but when the players complain about support and home crowds then go on and lay an absolute egg like this it desnt give them much leverage in the future to b*itch. Also, from where I was in 114 the crowd was awful. Tons and tons of passengers who didnt participate in sh*t and in fact one guy had the balls to pull my scarf down from behind me when I had it up... f*ckin ridiculous..don't know who these people are but sit elsewhere if you're not willing to participate. All in all a very subdued quiet crowd that was pretty demoralizing.

Now the positives... I suppose an entirely pro Canada crowd although we still can't seem to crack 12k although after performances like tonight's that's more than can be expected for future home matches.

F*ck

i hear ya ...very disappointing in 114 last night, no atmosphere at all, ppl checking tickets for seat numbers, asking us to move, telling us to sit down, folding their arms, ugh ... where were the V's???

we left 114 at half, moved to happier place in 112/113

I was not pleased with a 0-0 Draw. I realize we are still 4 points up with both games left vs St Kitts, but this kind of stuff worries me. Forrest said it right, when he proclaimed that this isn't good, as you will need to produce goals against better opposition as move forward. Hats off to Puerto Rico for their shape and grit but 0-0 at home just doesn't sit well with me. The lads have a job to do now and I am sure they will do it.

Hart's comment post game was dissapointing. He said PR were hard to break down so he told his players to just start whipping crosses in to see what happens. Seriously? Hart clearly never had any ideas how to break down PR.

Ledgerwood: Okay defensively, but moves the ball too slow. 4.5

JDG: had an okay game, he gave the ball away once but he allows us to keep posession. 5.5

Edgar: did his job defensively but moves the ball too slow. 5

Straith: same but is slightly better on the ball, which surprised me (I thought it would be the other way around). 5

Jazic: was fine, the bare minimum we need from a player in terms of skill and technical ability. 5.25

Dunfield: Just doesn't have it. Too many backpasses, doesn't move the ball quick enough, but is alright on the defensive end. 4.5

DeRosario: Only player who really provides any innovation. I fear the day when he retires. 6

Simpson: Good player, but really we need 11 players who are on his level at the bare minimum. 5.5

Jackson: Same as Simpson. 5.5

Occean: Good depth player, but just not good enough technically. 5

Hume: I like his heart, I don't understand why people question his technique when he is actually above average for our squad in this area. (which is sad) 5.25

We seriously lack quality. DeRo, JDG, Simpson, Jackson are our only real "starter" quality players we had tonight. When these players have the ball they are comfortable and just by the way they play you can tell they are a notch above the rest of the team.

Until we have at least 14 players of this pedigree we are not going to advance. It is plain to see that these are our only players with enough quality to get us through CONCACAF.

Of the injured players I would say Hutch, Klukowski, De Jong, McKenna and MAYBE Johnson are good enough as well.

I agree with this analysis.

Ok, so the big question is, if this formation is one of the biggest problems, what else could we try?

Some people have suggested a 4-4-2. Could we revert back to the 4-1-4-1 that brought Hart so much success in his first spell as coach? I would go:

----------------------------------------Hirsh/Borjan------------------------------------

--Peters------------------KcKenna--------------------Jakovic---------------Klukouski

-----------------------------------------Johnson-------------------------------------------

--Hume------------------DeGuzman----------------------Hutchinson----------Simpson

------------------------------------------Jackson---------------------------------------------

Or, because our backline seems to be the most open ended question, why not try a classic 3-1-4-2?

------------------------------------------Hirsch/Borjan----------------------------------------

--------Jakovic----------------------------McKenna--------------------------Hailnault-------

-------------------------------------------DeGuzman------------------------------------------

--Hume-----------------------Hutch--------------------DeRosario-------------Simpson-----

---------------------Jackson---------------------------Occean/Rickets-----------------------

The last one gives us plenty of attacking options. I think that the best way forward for us is to use more attack minded players. We have been using to many defensive mids.

I don't understand why we don't play Jackson in the middle as he's our closest thing to a finisher. Hume is a capable winger and in fact delivered most of our crosses last night anyways.

I don't mind Dunfield being in the squad, but a starter he is not. His role should only ever be as a sub destroyer/holding mid. He's just not good enough on the ball.

I agree that this squad would be much improved by the presence of Hutch but I think we need to be better tactically as well.

Archived