Canada - Puerto Rico: pre-match and in-match discussion [R]

jonovision

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reminds me of the Panama game at the Gold Cup. Too much slow ball movement except for a brief moment around the 70th minute. The D hasnt been tested but i wouldnt give them a passing grade either. Crosses are not good and this has been a problem for while now. It used to be a bit strenght when Jim Brennan used to play.

That said, linesman screwed up a few calls that might have resulted in goals. Shows how much we need Atiba.

Not impressed with: Dunfield and Ledgerwood. We already have JDG in a holding role. We don't need a 2nd center mid who just sits back. Ledgerwood is slow in his deicision making.

I agree on both accounts. Ledgerwood is probably a solid CONCACAF back-up. Dunfield is not good enough.

We need to have some patience when in possession. That was ugly.

dont laugh but if radzinski was playing he would have scored by now

I was big fan of his and was very happy when he rejoined the team after his exodus. Thought he might qualify us. But, We had Radzinski in 2004 and 2008 but he never scored. The few times he did score was in games when that didnt count.

Tough one tonight - Hart says a lot of injuries...but only one that counted tonight - Hutch was sorely missed.

players just a step slow on passes...not quite enough one-twos

DeGuz and Dunfield - struggled to play offensively - DeRo should have stepped back and pulled the strings...but seemed too far forward

I don't know about anyone else, but that's a game I expect to win on pure determination if nothing else.

Where is the urgency and determination? can't these guys get up for a match knowing if they don't perform as a high level as a unit they'll be in trouble down the road?

What BS. I can understand why a lot of soccer fans in Canada would not want to "taste the Soup" it's flat! There's no meat, no flavor! Sorry but this is pathetic for a bunch of players that play professional football, they should be running over a team like Puerto Rico. Too slow, too predictable and too static! I only saw blue shirts everywhere. Someone has got to light a flame under these guys.

That was our Gold Cup team again. Same old problem. Not creative enough in open play.

1. For Ricketts' first few minutes I was thinking "Has to start the next match..." but his decision-making was shocking after early bright bits.

2. Occean isn't a strong enough technical player to lead our line. Athleticism, yes. Same Occean as the last WCQ cycle.

3. Edgar and Straith are excellent for who they are and the level they play. Either can fill in at the RB spot when Andre, Kevin, and Dejan are available.

4. SIMPSON HAS TO PLAY CENTRALLY!!!! He was the only one showing the ability to unlock the defense by himself or for his teammates. Move DeRo to CM or Wing.

5. I feel for Jackson....wonder why it doesn't fall for him on the nats...

6. LARS!!!! #1

The guys huffed and puffed. They truly did work hard. They did.

Disappointed JDC didn't get into the game, but I can understand it. We didn't see the training sessions and maybe he is out of his depth still at 19 years old....when we beat St. Kitt's in the next match and lock-up the group (a draw will do it too) I suggest calling a North-Am-based squad for the last two games plus any u23-eligible oversea's players.

Sorry guys....I know you worked hard. Until we get the Junior's and Jonathan's of the Canadian landscape into our squad we might not have "that player" ... oh ya, we have one - SIMPSON! PLAY HIM CENTRALLY!

Edit: Just posted but then saw some of your posts. That wasn't "unprofessional" and they didn't "lack determination." Give yer head a shake guys!! Wow! Yes, we are superior to PR - for sure. But don't underestimate team spirit, athleticism, and "once in a lifetime" efforts from guys. They won't get to play Canada's of Concacaf very often.

I mean honestly....Armenia may qualify for Euro 2012! Spirit and athleticism can go a long way - Greece. This was a huge one for PR - they are flying home thrilled with themselves for getting "a huge tie away up north."

Tough one tonight - Hart says a lot of injuries...but only one that counted tonight - Hutch was sorely missed.

players just a step slow on passes...not quite enough one-twos

DeGuz and Dunfield - struggled to play offensively - DeRo should have stepped back and pulled the strings...but seemed too far forward

Agreed, Dunfield and Deguz should have been able to dominate this game and pull the strings. Hutch was sorely missed, his class probably changes the game. Overall just not good enough, ****ing up games like this at home hinders us from building a strong home following with the average soccer fan.

First touches aren't the fault of the coach - but the players...and only DeGuz and DeRo had decent touches tonight. Too many poor passes and afraid to take guys on. Our speedsters didn't get any outlets...

I just can't blame the coach for this...

although keeping Dunfield seems like a better move than putting on a 19 year old. Had they been 2 up, DiChiara would have seen the pitch

Archived