The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

Or maybe not? Who knows? Maybe it's more of a pissoff to them to bench a guy that actually worked hard GETTING them there in favor of a guy that cherry picked. Maybe the guy that has to ride the pine so hoilett can play...maybe HE gets pissed off. Maybe he would have every right to be angry.

I would let him come into the Hex but if he did not make himself available until the WC he should not be selected. However, selecting him just to not play him would be a terrible idea. If you want to teach him a lesson just don't select him and let him watch the WC on tv. Selecting him not to play him is not only wasting a spot it is going to be bad for team spirit and morale. Why would you want a pissed off guy who is being taught a lesson around the other players on the team?

Guest Brethers
I agree. But obviously he doesn't feel the same way is my point. But to be honest not trying to be controversial when I say this but are you serious about boatload in sponsorships? Maybe I am not in the know on this particular aspect of Canadian football, but who is our poster boy now? DeRosario? DeGuzman? are they getting the 'boatloads' sponsorships?

As for the satisfaction part, depends on the player, if he felt that way he would've committed a long time ago so clearly he doesn't the excuses about having stability at club level although valid is irrelevant, you either want to suit up for Canada, don't or are waiting for the opportune time to make a decision for your own benefit. Hoilett's in category #3.

Personally I feel Simeon is a much better player and in the Premier League I'd rather be talking about his time with Norwich until Hoilett decides to commit.

Ok, boatload was a bit extreme. But I do think if you were the guy who got Canada to the WC then there would be a good opportunity to get some good sponsorship. I hope he commits to us, and ideally before the hex. But that's not going to happen, he will probably wait to see who out of us and Jamaica are in the hex and decide then. I refuse to accept England as a possibility for all the previously mentioned obstacles there are in the way.

I love Simeon, and he has a superb work ethic to get from where he was 5 years ago to the premiership

I think there would be some decent sponsorship opportunities if he were a main factor in us making the World Cup. The CSA would have to pump the hell out of him playing for us, and hopefully places like Sportchek and other sports stores would pick up Canadian soccer stuff that would feature him and others in their ads. Who knows, maybe he's Canadian Soccer Jesus, right Ben?

• 2 weeks later...

Part of me doesn't want to post in this thread and give it a bump, but I couldn't resist when I found this on the Jamacia board:

Certainly interesting, but take it with a grain of salt.

http://www.thereggaeboyz.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/200515/page/1/fpart/6

Marriapa joining Reading is definitely a good ting for us with the McAnuff recruitment situation like you said Jamatl.

Any updates on the Beckford or Pratley situation ?

I have a big family and a lot of cousins ive never even met and on Thursday I met one for the 1st time at my auntie's yard. Turns out that she is actually Hoilett's cousin. She's never met Junior Hoilett but she is his dad's cousin, she is close with him and talks to him regularly.

After talking to her about whether Hoilett would select us or Canada to represent, the situation looks very concerning. We really need Canada to either fail to reach the Hex or at least struggle to make it and fail to perform too well.

I wont say exactly what she told me but his dad wants him to play for us, Hoilett is less emphusiastic about it right now which is disappointing news and my confidence in him representing us has been shot down a piece.

I hope Hoilett's dad can convince him that we are his best option but from what my cousin said, I think he'll play for Canada, I hope i'm wrong but thats how it looks to me right now.

Part of me doesn't want to post in this thread and give it a bump, but I couldn't resist when I found this on the Jamacia board:

http://www.thereggaeboyz.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/200515/page/1/fpart/6

Marriapa joining Reading is definitely a good ting for us with the McAnuff recruitment situation like you said Jamatl.

I have a big family and a lot of cousins ive never even met and on Thursday I met one for the 1st time at my auntie's yard. Turns out that she is actually Hoilett's cousin. She's never met Junior Hoilett but she is his dad's cousin, she is close with him and talks to him regularly.

After talking to her about whether Hoilett would select us or Canada to represent, the situation looks very concerning. We really need Canada to either fail to reach the Hex or at least struggle to make it and fail to perform too well.

I wont say exactly what she told me but his dad wants him to play for us, Hoilett is less emphusiastic about it right now which is disappointing news and my confidence in him representing us has been shot down a piece.

I hope Hoilett's dad can convince him that we are his best option but from what my cousin said, I think he'll play for Canada, I hope i'm wrong but thats how it looks to me right now.

Wow, that's a hell of a find!

It's one of those things that it's almost so intricate and odd that it appears very true.

All of the things we've thought; perform well, make the Hex and he'll commit.

it shouldnt be a question IMO, you play for the country of your birth..but what do I know...lol

I don't think you want to go there. We are a country of immigrants (past & present) and if that were the case, many a very good player may never have turned out for us.

I don't think you want to go there. We are a country of immigrants (past & present) and if that were the case, many a very good player may never have turned out for us.

it works both ways I know, I guess being an American I have a different perspective on it.....I get the Canadian perspective from my wife...she says she's South African before she says she's Canadian..its hard for me to wrap my mind around

It is definitely an interesting perspective, and it does seem very authentic. I don't think it is all that new of a perspective (not a slight to Obinna at all as this is an unbelievable find), just a new source. It does have relevance as it seems as though the sources have been aligning. All are quite clear that the issue is Hoilett Sr., while Junior is all-aboard to the Canada bandwagon and being held back.

At some point, you have to think Junior is going to make his way into the Canadian lineup. My personal, speculative, unfounded best estimation would be either a) in Honduras if we have a chance of making the hex with a win or draw or B) the opening game of the hex. This only applies if his ultimate goal is making the WC and not money. You have to believe that a professional footballer, given the opportunity, would jump at the prospect of being that close to a WC.

I mean if not this hex, he's waiting at least another 6 years with no securities he will make it then. If you wanna go to a WC you take every chance you can get to do so. If we don't see him this hex, I have a hard time believing he will jump on board with another 4-6 years to go before the next World Cup when he's 28yo. At that point it's obvious the WC is not that important to him, and it was always the money. I mean, to try for your first WC with a fringe team like Canada and only leaving yourself with one more probable chance when 32yo seems silly if your goal is making a WC.

Furthermore and finally, after watching that QPR team's performance in week 1, he shouldn't worry too much about playing time or securing a starting role. He was far and away their best player and sitting him would be Mark Hughes kicking in the can.

I think the time is now if he's going to commit. We're in good position, he can only help. If his 'heart' really is with Canada then he should get involved now. Why watch us possibly slip up and then go play for Jamaica...

Why hasn't anyone in the Canadian sports media requested another interview with him since his QPR signing? Maybe we're afraid of what he might say?

I think the time is now if he's going to commit. We're in good position, he can only help. If his 'heart' really is with Canada then he should get involved now. Why watch us possibly slip up and then go play for Jamaica...

Why hasn't anyone in the Canadian sports media requested another interview with him since his QPR signing? Maybe we're afraid of what he might say?

That's the way I see it as well. If he doesn't play this cycle, his heart's not in it regardless.

It seems pretty clear to me that he is waiting for England to come calling. And if I'm honest, I don't think he'll have to wait much longer.

Wouldn't he have to wait another 2 or 3 years to even be eligable for England? As I understand it, it will take him that long to get a passport.

He's not going to get called up for England - they've never capped a player in their history who didn't have english bloodlines and they do not cap naturalized players. The home nations have reiterated this a number of times, for example just a month ago:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18833190

If he hadn't spent two year in Germany, might still be eligible, but this is a non-starter.

it shouldnt be a question IMO, you play for the country of your birth..but what do I know...lol

I read this, and it prompted me to check the 1986 Canadian World Cup team. The roster was 22 players. 12 were born in Canada, 10 were not. Here is the list.

Dolan, Paul Can

Habermann, Sven Germany

Lettieri, Tino Italy

Bridge, Ian Can

DeLuca, Pasquale Can

Gray, Gerry Scotland

Ion, Greg Can

James, Paul Wales

Lenarduzzi, Bob Can

Lowery, Jamie Can

Miller, Colin Scotland

Mitchell, Dale Can

Moore, Terry Can

Norman, Dave Scotland

Pakos, George Can

Ragan, Randy Can

Samuel, Randy Trinidad

Segota, Branko Croatia

Sweeney, Mike Can

Valentine, Carl England

Vrablic, Igor Slovakia

Wilson, Bruce Can

Its kind of surprising to me that the British nations keep to that rule and haven't updated it. I understand why they do it, since so many players would get poached within the countries mainly by England since most of the top players end up playing in the EPL eventually and many would potentially hold out and make it or not the other countries suffer. That said they could update the gentlemen's agreement to only include the 4 countries and all of the countries could benefit, so Welsh and Scottish players can't be poached by England and the rules stay the same but a guy like Rangel or Arteta could have been added since they are being taken from Spain. I'm glad they haven't, and England could potentially pick up a ton of talented players naturalized after being bought by a premier league team and many of the other top European teams have done this for years.

Yes what they are doing is the way it should be but on the other hand so many other countries have been naturalizing players in their leagues for years it makes it unfair for England and the other British countries. With such a lack of success in British international soccer one would think there would be some pressure to level the playing field with some of the other European countries who have foreigners who played in their leagues naturalized and in their national teams.

He's not going to get called up for England - they've never capped a player in their history who didn't have english bloodlines and they do not cap naturalized players. The home nations have reiterated this a number of times, for example just a month ago:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18833190

If he hadn't spent two year in Germany, might still be eligible, but this is a non-starter.

I don't believe John Barnes has any British ancestry - he was naturalized after having moved to England as a 13 year old - and he represented England 82 times internationally.

Perhaps JH's time in Germany could work against him, but I doubt it.

Yes what they are doing is the way it should be but on the other hand so many other countries have been naturalizing players in their leagues for years it makes it unfair for England and the other British countries. With such a lack of success in British international soccer one would think there would be some pressure to level the playing field with some of the other European countries who have foreigners who played in their leagues naturalized and in their national teams.

This is true, but shhh let's not give them any ideas now. At least until we know junior's fate.

Speaking of which, considering the facts:

English have never (apparently) capped a player without a blood line

He does not have a UK passport

His eligibility for obtaining a UK passport is uncertain

There has been no rumor about him inquiring for a UK passport (to my knowledge)

Considering the above, and that right now he is only good enough to be a squad player for England at best (my opinion), I think the chances he ever plays for England are very very unlikely.

Clearly it is between us and Jamaica, who do not appear to be worried about him choosing England. Their concern (according to their online forum) is that he plays for Canada. Once again, you can't trust everything you read online but that information I posted appears to be authentic. If that proves to be the case, It sounds to me that we have the advantage over Jamaica here.

Just speculating here, but I can imagine he is waiting for us to make the hex and Jamaica to get eliminated so he can get his Dad off his case about Jamaica. I have seen Junior wearing a Canadian polo on youtube, he made that "CA" symbol with his hands when he scored one year, and he has showed up to watch us play. All of that could mean nothing, but considering everything it looks like HIS desire is to play for Canada.

I feel like if he chose Jamaica he would regret it. Not from a football perspective but from a personal standpoint.

I don't believe John Barnes has any British ancestry - he was naturalized after having moved to England as a 13 year old - and he represented England 82 times internationally.

Perhaps JH's time in Germany could work against him, but I doubt it.

Just did a quick search, you are right from what I can tell. His dad was actually born in T&T strange enough, and unsure of his wife. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/colonel-ken-barnes-trinidadianborn-military-leader-and-father-of-the-footballer-john-barnes-1670450.html

So, how do we explain this one? There appears to be a precedent for capping non English bloodline, but perhaps they have only recently tightened up on this (Arteta). Or, perhaps they are willing to make an exception for Commonwealth countries? Too bad we never had the insight of a Brit here.

Just did a quick search, you are right from what I can tell. His dad was actually born in T&T strange enough, and unsure of his wife. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/colonel-ken-barnes-trinidadianborn-military-leader-and-father-of-the-footballer-john-barnes-1670450.html

So, how do we explain this one? There appears to be a precedent for capping non English bloodline, but perhaps they have only recently tightened up on this (Arteta). Or, perhaps they are willing to make an exception for Commonwealth countries? Too bad we never had the insight of a Brit here.

Barnes was a while ago, this new "home nation" rule or whatever you want to call it is fairly new