RICHARD EYES CANADA HIGH

By PHIL GORDON

721 words

12 March 2011

The Sun

THESUN

English

© 2011 Times Newspapers Ltd. All rights reserved

RICHARD HASTINGS may have swapped Scotland for Canada, but he's taken a little bit of Inverness with him.

The former Caley Thistle star has just hung up his boots to open his own football academy in British Columbia.

And he's imported a unique coaching method created by an Inverness man and used by Caley Thistle's youth teams to launch his The Other Foot Soccer School.

But Hastings, who famously helped Caley knock Celtic out of the Scottish Cup at Parkhead in 2000 then made himself a national hero weeks later with the spectacular goal that slayed mighty Mexico during Canada's only-ever tournament win, admits his thoughts — and eyes — will be on Inverness tomorrow.

Celebrity The man who spent 12 years of his career in two spells at the Caledonian Stadium will be getting up bright and early in his new home of Nanaimo on Vancouver Island to try and catch live coverage of Caley's Scottish Cup quarter-final showdown with Celtic.

He said: "There is a pub in the town that shows Sky games so maybe I can persuade them to let me watch it there, even though it will be 7.30 in the morning."

Hastings, 33, has already become something of a local celebrity since settling in the resort town of Nanaimo after winning 59 caps for Canada and opening up his football academy.

He headed there with wife Rebecca, sixyear-old daughter Sienna and sons Cruz, 5, and Rio, 2, to open his academy after being released by Hamilton last summer. The Other Foot, endorsed by Aberdeen boss Craig Brown, concentrates on improving the player's weaker foot, with boys wearing one yellow sock on their good leg, while they can earn different coloured ones, just like karate belts, the stronger the other one becomes. Hastings said: "I read about it when I was in Inverness, so I sat down with the guy who created it, Ian McArthur, and saw it in action with the younger age groups at the Caley Thistle academy.

"It was amazing to see what the kids could do after the work on their weaker foot and I felt there was also a business opportunity, so I opened an academy in Nanaimo.

"My daughter Sienna and son Cruz both play football and I think there's a real market because Canadians are really into sport, even if the raw material in the early stages with youngsters might not be as good as Scotland."

Celtic — and the Scottish Cup — feature prominently in Hastings' football memories of his highs and lows in Inverness.

Epic He still smiles at the epic night when Caley went ballistic at Parkhead 11 years ago and humiliated John Barnes' team and cost the former Liverpool hero his job.

But he was playing for Graz in Austria when they repeated the feat against Martin O'Neill's Hoops in March 2003 in the quarter-finals.

And when he returned to Caley he was on the end of a Celtic knockout blow in 2007, when two late goals from Steven Pressley and Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink won the tie for Celtic.

Hastings added: "The night at Parkhead was the best moment of my club career. When it's not expected — and we were a First Division team then — it means even more.

"February 2000 was a great month for me. I went off to the Gold Cup with Canada and scored the extra-time winner against Mexico in the quarter-finals.

"They were ranked 10th in the world and we were 87th. I still get goosebumps about that. And we went on to win the trophy, which is our only honour.

"But I remember losing that other quarterfinal to Celtic in Inverness four years ago. "We thought we were on our way to another piece of history, then they got two late goals, but you can never count a side like Celtic out.

"I think games with Celtic bring the best out of Caley. Celtic don't really like going up to Inverness and I hope that's the case on Sunday."

I don't think one can underestimate the importance of these academies in Canada for future development. It seems there are quality academies popping up all over this county. If they can help develop players in the same manner as academies like Roman Tulis', then it will provide a massive boost to the game in Canada.

• 7 years later...
  • 2 years later...

^^^although that says professional management this a small club from a town of 15,000 or so that attracts around 300 or so fans to their home games on a good day so this is almost certainly a semi-professional post expected to be carried out alongside a 9 to 5 regular job. Having pointed that out hope it goes well for him.

On 9/5/2021 at 10:25 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^although that says professional management this a small club from a town of 15,000 or so that attracts around 300 or so fans to their home games on a good day so this is almost certainly a semi-professional post expected to be carried out alongside a 9 to 5 regular job. Having pointed that out hope it goes well for him.

Why would you even point that out? Do you enjoy belittling everyone...or just those not involved in the MLS? Your priorities seem to be out of whack...again.

On 9/5/2021 at 6:44 AM, jordan said:

Now the manager of Inverurie Loco Works FC . Presently 3rd in the Highland league. 

https://sportcareersagency.com/news/richard-hastings:-driving-inverurie-loco-works-fc--04-09-2021 

The best quote  is clearly...

• Earned 59 caps for his country and played the night of Super Caley Go Ballistic Celtic Are Atrocious

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...