Hume Sold To Barnsley for 1.2M

SeanKeay

Hume has signed on until 2011 to stay in the Championship following Leicester's relegation last season.

The Canada international had been a long-term target for Simon Davey and the Barnsley manager is delighted with the deal.

"We have been tracking Iain all summer and I have been an admirer of him since his days at Tranmere," Davey told the club's official website.

"Iain is a big talent who, at the age of 24, is just starting to come into his prime.

"He is an ambitious player who shares our drive and ambition for success here at Barnsley FC.

"We know that he will have a big impact at Oakwell and are sure he will become a fans' favourite."

Hume had scored 34 goals in 132 appearances in three years at Leicester following his move from Tranmere Rovers.

Meanwhile, Danish striker Kim Christensen's Barnsley contract has been cancelled following one goal in 13 substitute appearances since his arrival last summer.

www.teamtalk.com

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spectacular news!!

Funny how this came full circle. Hume's goal near the end of the year nearly put the dagger in Barnsley, instead Leicester choke, drop down a league and Hume ends up with Barnsley.

This would also clarify why he didn't join the nats for the June matches. Probably knew a deal was pending and didnt want to take any risk of injury. Because you know it would take a lot for Hume to turn down Brazil and a WCQ.

Hope to see him vs Jamaica.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto MB

Spectacular news!!

Funny how this came full circle. Hume's goal near the end of the year nearly put the dagger in Barnsley, instead Leicester choke, drop down a league and Hume ends up with Barnsley.

This would also clarify why he didn't join the nats for the June matches. Probably knew a deal was pending and didnt want to take any risk of injury. Because you know it would take a lot for Hume to turn down Brazil and a WCQ.

Hope to see him vs Jamaica.

I think it was reported that Iain was injured. He's still not a starter IMO for us but I'm glad to see him staying in the CCC because good perforamnces in that league means good things for us.

I remember thinking in the Gold Cup game with the US that Hume just didn't seem to fit with our new midfield. I always got the impression that he was a you punt it he'll chase it kinda guy.

But when he came on he looked like a million bucks. I think he and Atiba are old cronies and bring the best out of each other.

I'm just wondering if he and Simpson are the same type of player. Who has more upside? I like the way Simpson goes after defenders and I love Iain's enthusiasm but am very leery of his short fuse, especially in Concacaf WCQ.

Championship - Barnsley net Hume

25 Jun

Barnsley have stumped up £1.2 million to sign Iain Hume from Leicester City, with the striker signing a three-year deal at Oakwell.

Hume has signed on until 2011 to stay in the Championship following Leicester's relegation last season.

The Canada international had been a long-term target for Simon Davey and the Barnsley manager is delighted with the deal.

"We have been tracking Iain all summer and I have been an admirer of him since his days at Tranmere," Davey told the club's official website.

"Iain is a big talent who, at the age of 24, is just starting to come into his prime.

"He is an ambitious player who shares our drive and ambition for success here at Barnsley FC.

"We know that he will have a big impact at Oakwell and are sure he will become a fans' favourite."

Hume had scored 34 goals in 132 appearances in three years at Leicester following his move from Tranmere Rovers.

TeamTalk / Eurosport

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/25062008/58/championship-barnsley-net-hume.html

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

I remember thinking in the Gold Cup game with the US that Hume just didn't seem to fit with our new midfield. I always got the impression that he was a you punt it he'll chase it kinda guy.

But when he came on he looked like a million bucks. I think he and Atiba are old cronies and bring the best out of each other.

I'm just wondering if he and Simpson are the same type of player. Who has more upside? I like the way Simpson goes after defenders and I love Iain's enthusiasm but am very leery of his short fuse, especially in Concacaf WCQ.

Regarding the short fuse, I can think of one or two of our current starters who I would be more concerned about than Hume.

I definitely like what he brings in an attacking substitute role and for that he will put in a strong claim for a squad place come August.

quote:Originally posted by nazzer

This is fantastic. Hume had stated at the end of the season that he would be sticking with Leicester. I'm glad that was just lip service and he did what was better for his career.

I was surprised when the reports Hume was staying with Leicester City. I guess staying in the Championship would be better then playing in League One. I do not know where Barnsley got 1.2 Mill must have got some extra cash from the FA Cup run.

Oh and BTW im currently living in Barnsley.

Barnsley seal deal for Foxes star

Barnsley have signed striker Iain Hume from Leicester City for £1.2m.

Boss Simon Davey told the club website: "We've been tracking Iain all summer and I have been an admirer since his days at Tranmere.

"Iain is a big talent who, at the age of 24, is just starting to come into his prime."

"The staff here are excited about the chance to work with Iain and develop him even further. We all know that he will have a big impact at Oakwell."

The Canadian international scored 11 goals for Leicester last season, including the winner at Oakwell when the two sides met in April.

Meanwhile, Danish striker Kim Christensen has left Barnsley after his contract was terminated by mutual consent.

He was signed last summer but only made 13 first-team appearances last season, all as a substitute, scoring once.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/b/barnsley/7473562.stm

quote:Originally posted by N-A

I was surprised when the reports Hume was staying with Leicester City. I guess staying in the Championship would be better then playing in League One. I do not know where Barnsley got 1.2 Mill must have got some extra cash from the FA Cup run.

Oh and BTW im currently living in Barnsley.

Did they not just sell Norn Iron man Kyle Lafferty?

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

Well I think 5 or 6 years ago we all would've predicted that Hume would be a premiership striker by now. As good as he is I still can't help but be somewhat disappointed with his development

Yeah, I remember way back when it was odvious Hume had outgrown Tranmere there was a debate going on about which is better, the EPL bench or playing time in the CCC. I offered the opinion that although it's hard to judge individual development the CCC is a great place to pick up bad habits which while useful for winning in that</u> league may handicap your long term advancement into the higher leagues.

Looking back that sentiment/worry seems to fit Hume to a tee.

Still think he can find a role in the EPL. He's a very British player. That has a certain attraction and usefulness for a lot of clubs. And I don't mean for that to sound belittling because it's not meant to be. He just needs an opportunity.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

Well I think 5 or 6 years ago we all would've predicted that Hume would be a premiership striker by now. As good as he is I still can't help but be somewhat disappointed with his development

I think he is of that quality now, I mean I wouldn't call him a top level guy or anything, but he is one of those guys right now that can play if his team goes up. It more or less comes down to luck. Though it seems as though he has made a living with lower level Championship teams, maybe Barnsley can turn things around and make it to the Premiership, I certainly think they have the talent.

On another note, Hume was quoted as saying he was looking to stay and help Leicester gain promotion back to the championship. When I read those articles, I just rolled my eyes. For this guy to play at anything below the championship is a joke.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Yeah, I remember way back when it was odvious Hume had outgrown Tranmere there was a debate going on about which is better, the EPL bench or playing time in the CCC.

I also recall similar debates as pertaining to other young players, like Peters or Edgar.

What I can't recall about Hume at the time was how many offers he had from EPL sides as part of his options. Can anyone refresh my memory?

Archived