Hume Sold To Barnsley for 1.2M

SeanKeay

You're not considering the formation Mitchell has used for Brazil, Panama and St. Vag X2.

----------Friend/Gerba-------------

DeRosario-----Radz----------Issey

----------Hutch-JDG----------------

So Imhof provides my CMF cover on the bench.

As for Simpson being left-footed - DeRo is a lock on the left wring as he has been for over a year now. And he rarely gets substituted. And if he does thats where De Jong's left foot could be used in a defesnive move. At no point in the last five years have we seen Simpson picked ahead of Hume - I don't expect to see it now.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only watched the first half of the SVG game but I thought Radz played on the side?

Also, my lineup is different because of the insertion of Imhoff in the middle allowing one of Hutch or JDG to move at offensive mid. By no mean, if he's healthy we should start a Bundesliga 1 starter on the bench....

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I only watched the first half of the SVG game but I thought Radz played on the side?

Also, my lineup is different because of the insertion of Imhoff in the middle allowing one of Hutch or JDG to move at offensive mid. By no mean, if he's healthy we should start a Bundesliga 1 starter on the bench....

I still think having a stronger defensive presence in our midfield will help provide a good shield for our back line. I always pictured a central midfield configuration which had Imhoff as the defensive/holding link man, DeGuzman given license to drop deep or advance forward to dictate the tempo, with Hutch allowed to be more of an attacker. However, with DeRosario established in the attacking central mid role now, certainly things have changed.

dero played on the left up until the brazil game. now issey is on the left, radz on the right, and deRo plays in the hole right behind friend/gerba.

bernier has to be on the bench because he can play anywhere in the midfield. simpson can only play on the left. i would trust neither one of those guys to score a goal if we needed one.

hume can score. at least with him there's a chance. i'd take hume over dejong or imhof.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto MB

You're not considering the formation Mitchell has used for Brazil, Panama and St. Vag X2.

----------Friend/Gerba-------------

DeRosario-----Radz----------Issey

----------Hutch-JDG----------------

So Imhof provides my CMF cover on the bench.

As for Simpson being left-footed - DeRo is a lock on the left wring as he has been for over a year now. And he rarely gets substituted. And if he does thats where De Jong's left foot could be used in a defesnive move. At no point in the last five years have we seen Simpson picked ahead of Hume - I don't expect to see it now.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

There are only a handful of Premiership quality players in CONCACAF, so Hume should be able to succeed at our level. He led the comeback in arguably our most important match in the last 4 years. To say he doesn't have a place in the new MNT is complete rubbish and I'm sure his good pal Atiba would be the first to tell you that.

That is one of the more intelligent quotes I have heard about the level of CONCACAF. He should be a factor in the discussion for the MNT and, remember, he is not exactly 30 years old. While he may have stagnated in terms of development according to some, it is interesting to see some of the comments from Barnsley:

A forward with a proven Championship pedigree.(Barnsley FC website)

Iain is a big talent who, at the age of 24, is just starting to come into his prime. (Barnsely page on planetfootball.com)

Maybe some competition at the MNT will be good for him - having the world at your feet after the World Youth Championship sometimes has the wrong effect on people.

PEACH

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

How so? That suggestion always makes me shake my head in disbief when it has cropped here. I dont really understand the logic behind it. Imagine had Julian deguman had thought that way when pondering a move from Saurebrucken to Hannover, where would he be today?

There is humongous difference between being a first division player and a second divison player. differnces quality, stature and recognition. World class players are found in first divsions but seldom if ever in second divison. And thats how you improve as an athlete, playing with and against the best. If some top flight club comes calling its because they think you can play at top level so why would anyone in their right mind blow that chance. A chance to make more money, make yourself more marketable, and improve in what you do. Besides who ever sits on the bench for every game from Augsut to May .

Obviously I would rather see him playing in the EPL rather than the CCC but if he goes to the EPL it should be if he deserves it and if he is going to be at least in the mix and getting games in the EPL not playing on a team where he does'nt even make the game sheet on most nights and I'm sure he could do that right now but I don't think it would help his development or confidence and for sure it won't help the MNT when they don't know what form he is on.

Games matter and if he's not getting games I think it will hurt his development, if he shows hes ready to step up and earn a place in the EPL than of course thats teh best option but right now he has'nt shown it and I think playing it safe and staying in the CCC vs EPL is fine he can still light it up and get a transfer at any time ideally right now I would'nt mind him leaving britain for Holland/Germany or something along those lines.

Hume is,I suppose, not a starter right now if we have our regular midfield and Friend. But he is our only attacking option off the bench. With Radz Dero Jdg Hutch and Issey already in the game what other attacking options do we have? Hume. I believe he is actually a quite good option later in the game, or as a replacement for either Radz or Issey in case of Injury/Suspension though I think that is a role that Simpson could at least challenge for. To think he isn't in our top 18 is ludicrous.

quote:Originally posted by hottoddy7

Hume is,I suppose, not a starter right now if we have our regular midfield and Friend. But he is our only attacking option off the bench. With Radz Dero Jdg Hutch and Issey already in the game what other attacking options do we have? Hume. I believe he is actually a quite good option later in the game, or as a replacement for either Radz or Issey in case of Injury/Suspension though I think that is a role that Simpson could at least challenge for. To think he isn't in our top 18 is ludicrous.

People who don't see him in our top 18 are using Radz and DeRo as attacking wingers and are having Issey as a sub, letting Hume out of the squad if you're including Simpson as a sub.

BTW, I wouldn't be upset to see him included as it's very close between some of those guys, Issey, Iain, Radz and Josh.

What I will speak to is that we all know the Canadian soccer community is a small one. Airing out Iain's personal matters in such a fasion on this board is upsetting to some of us because I wouldn't be surprised if his family, or Hume himself is reading this thread to see what the stir back home is about his transfer.

Who the hell is airing out his personal matters? I think his family is well aware that he had a child at an early age and are not finding out about it here for the first time. I am not saying I saw him at a brothel or doing crack cocaine after the Jamaica game in Montreal. For most young players having a child at a young age is not beneficial to their careers but there may be exceptions to this. Since Hume's career to this point has fallen below expectations there is nothing wrong with speculating about the reasons for this and having a child at a young age may or may not be one of them. People who get upset by such mild speculation should go and live in an oxygen bubble with Michael Jackson where they can both be sheltered from the real world and experience some real scandals.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Hume is essentially the new Peschisolido (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Pesch scored 11 goals in 53 games while Hume has 2 in 22. Hume has a long way to go before he should be compared to Pesch.

quote:Originally posted by peachgrinder

That is one of the more intelligent quotes I have heard about the level of CONCACAF. He should be a factor in the discussion for the MNT and, remember, he is not exactly 30 years old. While he may have stagnated in terms of development according to some, it is interesting to see some of the comments from Barnsley:

A forward with a proven Championship pedigree.(Barnsley FC website)

Iain is a big talent who, at the age of 24, is just starting to come into his prime. (Barnsely page on planetfootball.com)

Maybe some competition at the MNT will be good for him - having the world at your feet after the World Youth Championship sometimes has the wrong effect on people.

PEACH

He's got years ahead of him for development still but he is at that point in his career though where for so many players it's make it or break it time. Journeyman CCC player or EPL striker? Not that journeyman CCC player is anything to snuff off but EPL striker quite rightly sound soooo much better.

I, along with canso, think that Hume brings much, much, more to a match than what can be broken down into sterile statistics. Never mind a match, a team. Whether he's on the field of play or no that something is a contagious energy, intensity, and focus which every gaffer wants. A player with an ability to make the other players around him perform better.

Very, very, few players, regardless of their skill levels, have that.

Some players can do that with their craftiness and skill (The Guz is starting to show that) and others do it with their personality attributes. Matters little how it's done so long as it's done.

P.S. Agree with my assessment of Hume or no it is impossible to deny that a speedy player with a knack for finishing is a asset for any side. I'd have the man penciled into my 1st 18 for no other reason than his wheels and the fact he knows how to pull the trigger. Having a variety of different tools at the managers disposal is vital. Especially those of an attacking nature for a team like Canada.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Quick question guys?

Josh simpson has improved as a player??? Excuse me? Who has watched him enough to say that his technical skills have improved and he is a better player. Guys rob friend scored what like 15 goals in the 2nd div of germany not the top div so he isnt a GREAT goal scorer either. I figure its about the same as humey with 11 goals in the championship. Im not slagging our players i think there all good, but to say that those guys have grown alot and hume hasnt is rediculous.

Did you not see josh simpson in his last national team game, he was TERRIBLE. I think its a joke that people are sitting here saying hume is a waste of talent and really cant help this national team.

Also, Grizzly ive met you many of times but your way off on alot of your player assesments. 2 years ago you said dero shouldnt be starting on the national team and now your questioning someones choice to be a father... get your head on straight.

First of all, DeRo played like crap all during Yallop's time as national team coach. His play improved greatly once two things happened, Yallop was no longer coach and he was switched from a striker (where his finishing ability was inadequate) to an offensive midfielder where he is actually more of a scoring threat. There was a period of two years where he didn't score one goal despite being a steady starter but now he is back to scoring the type of long range goals he excels at. The way he was playing back then he didn't deserve to be a starter and the way he is playing now he does, end of story. I have nothing personal against any of the players and if they improve their play I will change my opinion about them.

Josh Simpson has improved tremendously as a player. At the U-20 he was one of the mediocre players on the team while Hume was our star yet he is certainly Hume's equal if not superior now. Simpson seems to be up and coming and improving every year while Hume seems to have stagnated. Simpson is probably not a starter now either because he has been inconsistent for us (yes he was terrible in the SA game but so was Hume and it is my opinion that Hume has been mostly terrible for us while Simpson has shown some promise) but I see far more technical ability and ability to read the game from him than I do from Hume although 5 years ago I think Hume was much further ahead in these areas. Simpson has also been recently switched to striker at his club and has never played this role for us. This year he had 6 goals in less than half the games that it took Hume to score his 11. Friend for his part scored 18 goals in 33 games in Germany. I fully agree he has to start putting them in for Canada as well but I think the Brazil game gave a good indication that he will start doing so. As someone else said, we didn't even rate these guys five years ago and now they are equal to or superior to the guy we thought would be our next big player.

I don't know how many times I and others have to repeat this, noone is questioning anyone's fatherhood choices. Hume and every other player has every right to choose their own priorities in life. However, if those priorities do not lead to them being the quality of player necessary to be on the national team then they should not be on the team. It seems like some posters here at the next national team game in Montreal should go to Saputo's family fun zone (the games area behind the Ultras stand) where they can have a family experience instead of watching the game and caring about winning.

To get back to the subject of the transfer, I agree with whoever it was who posted that a better transfer for him would be to go to Holland or the 2nd BL. It might be a lateral transfer as far as playing level but he would probably stand a much better chance of developing some of the skills he is lacking in.

quote:Originally posted by canso

he shaved the Maple Leaf into his head! What more do you people want?

I want far more goals than 2 in 22 games and far better play when he is not scoring.

That being said, coach Yallop err I mean canso, can I play for the national team if I shave a Maple Leaf into my head?

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Josh Simpson has improved tremendously as a player. At the U-20 he was one of the mediocre players on the team while Hume was our star yet he is certainly Hume's equal if not superior now. Simpson seems to be up and coming and improving every year while Hume seems to have stagnated. Simpson is probably not a starter now either because he has been inconsistent for us (yes he was terrible in the SA game but so was Hume and it is my opinion that Hume has been mostly terrible for us while Simpson has shown some promise) but I see far more technical ability and ability to read the game from him than I do from Hume although 5 years ago I think Hume was much further ahead in these areas. Simpson has also been recently switched to striker at his club and has never played this role for us. This year he had 6 goals in less than half the games that it took Hume to score his 11. Friend for his part scored 18 goals in 33 games in Germany. I fully agree he has to start putting them in for Canada as well but I think the Brazil game gave a good indication that he will start doing so. As someone else said, we didn't even rate these guys five years ago and now they are equal to or superior to the guy we thought would be our next big player.

I wasn't aware that he was converted to a full-time striker with K-town. I was under the impression that he was moved there by his coach on a couple of occasions yet preferred to play the left of midfield, but guess I'll stand corrected. Unlike you and others, I haven't been able to see any video of his club play this past season so I'm curious to see how he has progressed before drawing any more conclusions.

How having a child in your early 20s affects one can work both ways. It depends on the father's level of maturity not age.

It can distract you because you would rather play with your kids than practice or it could be the greatest stress relief and make you happier, more relaxed and focused.

How many young 20+ soccer players don't have kids and go out to clubs and party all the time? If I'm a coach I'll take a new father over a party boy any time. It comes down to the individual's maturity and nothing else.

Hume in the first 18? I think yes definitely.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

I wasn't aware that he was converted to a full-time striker with K-town. I was under the impression that he was moved there by his coach on a couple of occasions yet preferred to play the left of midfield, but guess I'll stand corrected. Unlike you and others, I haven't been able to see any video of his club play this past season so I'm curious to see how he has progressed before drawing any more conclusions.

Not sure if he I would call him a full-time striker or not but he primarily played midfield earlier in the season and later in the season alternated between striker and being on the left of a target man in a diamond formation similar to what we use. I do remember an interview in which he stated he preferred play mid to striker. He used to not be a great finisher but seems to have improved greatly in this respect probably due to gaining confidence. His biggest problem so far has been that he is injury prone. There is a lot of competition/alternatives at the left striker/offensive mid in our team so I am not sure if he would be part of my first choice 18 or not but I would still rate him above Hume from what I have seen of their play recently.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Not sure if he I would call him a full-time striker or not but he primarily played midfield earlier in the season and later in the season alternated between striker and being on the left of a target man in a diamond formation similar to what we use. I do remember an interview in which he stated he preferred play mid to striker. He used to not be a great finisher but seems to have improved greatly in this respect probably due to gaining confidence. His biggest problem so far has been that he is injury prone. There is a lot of competition/alternatives at the left striker/offensive mid in our team so I am not sure if he would be part of my first choice 18 or not but I would still rate him above Hume from what I have seen of their play recently.

The one thing about Simpson is that his speed and experience as a fullback in the past gives him a better defensive dimension than guys like Radz or Issey and that's a point his favour. But as stated I'd like to see for myself how the German experience has influenced his overall play in the offensive side of the game.

I haven't see any of Hume's club performances, apart from highlights of his goals on Sky TV, so I can't compare him to Simpson. I can only rate them on their most recent MNT performance, the South Africa match.

Bearcat, I was baffled by Mitchell's use of Hume as our centre-forward in the South Africa game.

I think he was hoping to re-ignite the U-20 magic he had with Hume and Simpson wide, but fcuk me, we all knew Hume couldn't play centre forward, didnt we?

I think he learned his lesson though.

While I don't particularly like Hume out wide, I think he can do a good job of what Radz, DeRo and Issey are doing. Which is play with a lot of lateral runs and cause some confusion with defneders by switching flanks quite liberally this. If you watch his goal vs the US, the best move he made during that play was a 90 degree run to the far touch-line which opened him up to the through ball from Atiba. This is exactly what we've been seeing from our attacking mids recently.

This was very effective for us against Brazil, and finally, something very positive to say about Mitchell's offensive tactics. Quite frankly I was impressed.

Bearcat, I was baffled by Mitchell's use of Hume as our centre-forward in the South Africa game.

I think he was hoping to re-ignite the U-20 magic he had with Hume and Simpson wide, but fcuk me, we all knew Hume couldn't play centre forward, didnt we?

I think he learned his lesson though.

While I don't particularly like Hume out wide, I think he can do a good job of what Radz, DeRo and Issey are doing. Which is play with a lot of lateral runs and cause some confusion with defneders by switching flanks quite liberally this. If you watch his goal vs the US, the best move he made during that play was a 90 degree run to the far touch-line which opened him up to the through ball from Atiba. This is exactly what we've been seeing from our attacking mids recently.

This was very effective for us against Brazil, and finally, something very positive to say about Mitchell's offensive tactics. Quite frankly I was impressed.

Some other posters on this board have accurately noted that in this system our wide midfielders don't really act like wingers in the classical sense of taking on a fullback and trying to knock in a cross from the byline, so Hume may fit that current criteria as well as the other flank midfield candidates. Regardless, of the striker candidates he has more pace than Friend, Gerba, or Occean (though I still think he's more quick and shifty than flat out fast), and that gives the attack a different dimension. He's definitely not a lone striker/target man at this level.

I had a quick boo at my recording of the South Africa. I stand by my assessment that Simpson was one of the poorest guys on the field in the first half, and that Bernier was even worse in the second (with that spell of horrible giveaways). In retrospect, I wonder what DM thinks he would have done differently from a tactical sense to try to salvage that match?

It's funny the clubs you end up supporting through the MNT. Never would have thought I'd give a mosquitoes arse about Barnsley, but there you go.

I do vaguely recall (with some glee) that they gave Everton a bit of a scare in a relegation battle in the mid 90s. I believe it was the same year my adopted club, Man City, went down to division three. Maybe '98? I'm not saying there's a connection, but I think Hughes and that fascist dictator will get city relegated again which, who knows, could lead to a promotion run for Barnsley??? Let's hope so for Humey.

Archived