Hume Sold To Barnsley for 1.2M

SeanKeay

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Quick question guys?

Josh simpson has improved as a player??? Excuse me? Who has watched him enough to say that his technical skills have improved and he is a better player. Guys rob friend scored what like 15 goals in the 2nd div of germany not the top div so he isnt a GREAT goal scorer either. I figure its about the same as humey with 11 goals in the championship. Im not slagging our players i think there all good, but to say that those guys have grown alot and hume hasnt is rediculous.

Did you not see josh simpson in his last national team game, he was TERRIBLE. I think its a joke that people are sitting here saying hume is a waste of talent and really cant help this national team.

Also, Grizzly ive met you many of times but your way off on alot of your player assesments. 2 years ago you said dero shouldnt be starting on the national team and now your questioning someones choice to be a father... get your head on straight.

While I kind of agree with some of your point (about Simpson and Friend level of play) I think the difference between those 3 is that we were expecting a lot from Hume in 2003 while we weren't expecting much from Simpson and Friend back then. Friend is now on the verge of getting B1 minutes and seems to be improving a lot if your consider his career, Norway first, Norway Premier to Holland Premier to Germany Premier(with a little stop in B2). Simpson is different IMO and I don't agree with the comments that he's improving for the reason you stated....I haven't seen enough of him and he doesn't have the same career moves as Rob Friend.

As for the paternity stuff, please read again, no one is questionning Hume decision, people are just speculating on what kind of effects young fatherhood can have on a professionnal athlete.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's okay in my mind if Hume never becomes a Premiership striker. You can't hold that against him, how many people do? There's really only 50 or so of them in one given year that actually see the pitch with any regularity and these are usually the top 100 or so strikers in the world.

I don't think Hume will reach this level, but for a supporter of the MNT it's pretty irrelevant. I'd like to see Hume reach the level of say a David Healy who, most including Hodgson would agree, sucks as a Premiership striker. However, the guy has like a million goals for Northern Ireland and was a huge reason for them turning their country's fortunes around.

There are only a handful of Premiership quality players in CONCACAF, so Hume should be able to succeed at our level. He led the comeback in arguably our most important match in the last 4 years. To say he doesn't have a place in the new MNT is complete rubbish and I'm sure his good pal Atiba would be the first to tell you that.

sometimes heart matters more than skill and technique. especially when its late in a game and everyone is tired / demoralized.

hume must be called for each game, no doubt about it.

(and fatherhood can be the greatest motivator in the world. im sure it only helped him.)

As others have said, Hume is a streaky player. But, when he is on....

I can't for the life of me see why he wouldn't be in the MNT plans moving forward. Right now, I suspect he's a bench player but he brings a lot to the pitch in that role.

I think he's a CCC player. There is little shame in that, although we all hoped for higher a few years ago. The Peschisolido comparison is about perfect, I think.

Lastly, making an observation about whether becoming a father at a young age impacted his ability to advance his career isn't below the belt. It's an observation, not a judgment. People need to chill.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

i'd say its more of a, "I am a good fit in the Championship, better than Div.1, not good enough for more than a cup of coffee in the Premiership so why not stay where I can play" kinda move.

Plus he fits in the UK. Maybe he could go to one of the slightly chippier leagues like Scotland or B2, but at this point, he is no longer on lists of "most promising youngsters not in the premiership" or anything like that. And he's established in the CCC and probably likes the life in Britain. Let's face it, he's an old 24 (meaning he's been around for ages and taken his share of knocks), he has injury troubles, he scores it bunches, and could probably make a list of "most inconsistent scorers not playing in the premiership". I love him, and I know most of us do, but unless he was willing to take a bit of a pay cut and risk being a supersub/benchwarmer on a potentially promoting Championship side, maybe this is the best he could do. Even the most dreamy-eyed v's should be able to admit that this guy is not premiership material at the moment, and most likely never will be. Heck, I hate to say it, but he may not even feature in the WCQ the way it standing at the moment regarding formation and team chemistry.

if we all agree that he is CCC quality then signing with the worst team in CCC means he has achieved only the most minimal level that he could...thus my less than enthusiastc response.

at 24, i think it is best to hook up with a better team and work to prove yourself...even if that means time on the pine...flipping teams that dance relegation every year seems like a poor way to advance.

Let's not forget that Hume broke the Canadian goose egg against the Yanks last year. I think they held us scoreless for at least 3 years or something.

From what I hear, Iain gets on well with the lads on the MNT.

Onwards Iain.

quote:Originally posted by sinhaya

From what I hear, Iain gets on well with the lads on the MNT.

Good for him. But this isn't the point here and I don't think anyone has suggested that Iain was having problems with the lads or coaching staff.

The question is whether he's good enough to be in our MNT 18 men roster? I think he isn't but he's close to it and good performances at the club level would certainly change my mind. I also feel that this thread is representative of Hume situation with the MNT with half of the people suggesting he's good enough and the other part suggesting he wouldn't make their roster.....

quote:Originally posted by sinhaya

Let's not forget that Hume broke the Canadian goose egg against the Yanks last year. I think they held us scoreless for at least 3 years or something.

At the senior level it was well over a decade. It still is in terms of how long it's been since we've beaten the Yanks. Let's hope we get the chance to do it in 2009.

Hume has talent, it's just a matter of fitting in with the current players we have and the system of ball possession we're trying to employ. Hume gives up ball possession wayyyyy too easily for him to be effective in CONCACAF for 90 minutes. Now, if we're down a goal late and need a screamer into the top corner from a mad scramble at the top of the box, he's our guy.

"the other part suggesting he wouldn't make their roster....."

he shaved the Maple Leaf into his head! What more do you people want? He flattened the Gooch and deflated the Yanks! He scored the sweetest struck goal in Canadian history and virutally defined Canuck soccer! How could you not get fired up by this guy? What is wrong with you people!?!?

soulless beauracrats and pencil neck pantywaists the lot of ya.

quote:Originally posted by canso

"the other part suggesting he wouldn't make their roster....."

he shaved the Maple Leaf into his head! What more do you people want? He flattened the Gooch and deflated the Yanks! He scored the sweetest struck goal in Canadian history and virutally defined Canuck soccer! How could you not get fired up by this guy? What is wrong with you people!?!?

soulless beauracrats and pencil neck pantywaists the lot of ya.

lol

What kind of arguments is this? "he shaved the Maple Leaf into his head"???

Yes, that was a nice goal against the USA but if Hume had shown more moments like that in his 22 appearances with the MNT he would be a lock in the starting 11.

I think that we need him because he presents a different look from a player like Rob Friend. He can be utilized also a sub for Radzinski. Plus, I am much more comfortable with Hume than Gerba.

Regarding his career progession, I tend to view the moves from tranmere to Leicester, to Barnsley as all lateral moves. So i agree that there has been no progression what so ever. But that is better that what one can say for a player like Gerba for instance.

As far as things like : "he shaved the Maple Leaf into his head! ". Thats 'Nice" but insignificant. Unless you are right there in dressing room in practise, there is no way you cant tell someones level of committment, loyalty and dedication. Its naive IMO to make such claims.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I think that we need him because he presents a different look from a player like Rob Friend. He can be utilized also a sub for Radzinski. Plus, I am much more comfortable with Hume than Gerba.

Regarding his career progession, I tend to view the moves from tranmere to Leicester, to Barnsley as all lateral moves. So i agree that there has been no progression what so ever. But that is better that what one can say for a player like Gerba for instance.

Would you play Hume as a target man instead of Gerba?

I don't think they are playing in the same position...IMO Friend, Gerba and Occean are battling for that lone forward position while Radz, Issey, DeRo, Hume and Simpson are battling for a spot as attacking wingers.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I thinks Hume is overrated on this site because people like his personality and work ethic. Yet his development seems to have leveled to being a decent 10 goal a year scorer on a lower table CCC team and not quite national team material (at least judging with by his senior squad appearances to date). Guys like Friend and Simpson seem to be getting better every year and Hume does not.

I think Simpson has to show me a lot more tactically and technically than what he demonstrated during the South Africa game. Hopefully his German experience has matured his game. I am happy to see him maintaining a regular place in a Bundesliga 2 side and popping some goals along the way, but can that development transfer to the MNT? I guess we'll have to see what he can do the next chance he gets.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Hume has talent, it's just a matter of fitting in with the current players we have and the system of ball possession we're trying to employ. Hume gives up ball possession wayyyyy too easily for him to be effective in CONCACAF for 90 minutes. Now, if we're down a goal late and need a screamer into the top corner from a mad scramble at the top of the box, he's our guy.

Ditto sentiments from me about Hume as a starter.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Well we know that from his days on the U20 team and at club level that he was used as fwd. Why has the burley target man become the only template for a fwd on our national team? In the last round of qualifying we used Radzinski at Fwd. Besides you could Hume's pace as late sub in the hot, muggy and high altitude environments in central america.

Just to be clear, I am not suggesting that he is an indispensable piece. But personally I might rate him ahead of many of the names that have been bandied around here in the last while or so.

Presuming that we stick with starting our 4-5-1 attack form of:

----------Friend------------

DeRo-----Radz----------Issey

-----Hutch--------DeGuz-----

Who the hell could possibly be more adept at coming on as a replacement for DeRo, Radz or Issey????

Peters?

Simpson??

No.

Gerba maybe, but he is more a true forward who likes lurking in the box.

Hume is our sub for Radz or Issey around 65 minutes. And could make a strong case for taking Issey's starting role. Who is more skilled from corners and set-piece crosses than Iain? Not to mention the striking partnership he and DeRo would make on direct set-pieces. Hume has a cannon.

So for all who think he doesnt deserves a spot in the 18 - please elaborate on your explanation.

Regardless, Mitchell knows exactly what Hume can do and I feel almost certain we'll see him Aug. 20th. And regardless of his fatherhood status he will be Jamaica's daddy that day. ;)

I don't think is the best move for him, but not sure what other options he has right now. I think this is better than going to an EPL team and sitting on the bench, but I would love to see him make a move to Holland and work on some of the other skill sets that he is not so strong in, obviously I don't think he will make a move like that.

In terms of him being a factor in our MNT, he may not be a starter but if he is healthy I want him in our squad, he has shown great heart and passion for our team and came up big on the biggest stage (u-20 wc)and showed why he is valuable vs the US in the gold cup. I think he brings something special and I like him coming off the bench and providing energy and aggression as well as an ability to get some stunning goals he is a nice piece to have in the puzzle that is our team.

He's battling for Radz's spot once he retires, or maybe for a forward spot if we go back to 4-4-2.

Someone mentioned his crossing, and I'll had his FK abilities as something that stands out. He is the best and most consistent direct FK takers we have (I feel Dero's living off "that" goal and the only other one that comes close was Grande in his prime).

Hume might not crack the starting 11, but he should at least be on the bench. I am not convinced Radz can play a whole game, and I'm not fully convinced that Issey is better than Hume. Simpson still has a lot to prove; I hope his time in Germany is helping him develop more fully--damn the kid has wheels.

Yes, I worry about the fact that he loses the ball far too cheaply, too often. But he adds a dimension that some of these other "wide" players do not, and it is important to be able to show an opponent a different look from time to time.

I say give Hume a chance!

quote:Originally posted by villus

I think this is better than going to an EPL team and sitting on the bench,

How so? That suggestion always makes me shake my head in disbief when it has cropped here. I dont really understand the logic behind it. Imagine had Julian deguman had thought that way when pondering a move from Saurebrucken to Hannover, where would he be today?

There is humongous difference between being a first division player and a second divison player. differnces quality, stature and recognition. World class players are found in first divsions but seldom if ever in second divison. And thats how you improve as an athlete, playing with and against the best. If some top flight club comes calling its because they think you can play at top level so why would anyone in their right mind blow that chance. A chance to make more money, make yourself more marketable, and improve in what you do. Besides who ever sits on the bench for every game from Augsut to May .

quote:Originally posted by Toronto MB

Presuming that we stick with starting our 4-5-1 attack form of:

----------Friend------------

DeRo-----Radz----------Issey

-----Hutch--------DeGuz-----

Who the hell could possibly be more adept at coming on as a replacement for DeRo, Radz or Issey????

Peters?

Simpson??

No.

Gerba maybe, but he is more a true forward who likes lurking in the box.

Hume is our sub for Radz or Issey around 65 minutes. And could make a strong case for taking Issey's starting role. Who is more skilled from corners and set-piece crosses than Iain? Not to mention the striking partnership he and DeRo would make on direct set-pieces. Hume has a cannon.

So for all who think he doesnt deserves a spot in the 18 - please elaborate on your explanation.

If we're using a 4-5-1 I see the midfield/attack like this one if everybody is healthy:

----------Friend--------

DeRo-------JDG------Radz

-----Hutch-----Imhoff

or

--------Friend---------

DeRo---Hutch---JDG----Radz

---------Imhoff-----------

With 7 subs, we have:

Bernier

Issey

Gerba (or Occean)

(DeJong, Hume or Simpson)

Defender 1

Defender 2

Back up keeper

It's going to be between Simpson, Hume and De Jong for that last sub place. That's why I don't see him making it unless we have injuries or suspension.

You're going to take Bernier over Hume? Disagree with that. JDG, Hutch and Imhof provide enough central midfield for me. Bernier has been poor with both club and country late, we'll see how Denamrk works out.

And De Jong is a true left-back who has the ability to play wing-mid but he is not an attacking goal scorer. So I don't see the comparison. Althought I do take him in the squad ahead of Brennan and Jazic.

And for the Simpson vs Hume debate - well - I dont think there is one really. Hume scores more goals, is more dangerous on set-pieces and is more proven with the MNT.

So I guess we disagree. Bet you Mitchell takes my advice and not yours though.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto MB

You're going to take Bernier over Hume? Disagree with that. JDG, Hutch and Imhof provide enough central midfield for me. Bernier has been poor with both club and country late, we'll see how Denamrk works out.

And De Jong is a true left-back who has the ability to play wing-mid but he is not an attacking goal scorer. So I don't see the comparison. Althought I do take him in the squad ahead of Brennan and Jazic.

And for the Simpson vs Hume debate - well - I dont think there is one really. Hume scores more goals, is more dangerous on set-pieces and is more proven with the MNT.

So I guess we disagree. Bet you Mitchell takes my advice and not yours though.

Who is providing covers in central midfield if we don't have Bernier on the bench?

As for putting DeJong there it's more a question of what kind of subs you want, more offensive or defensive.

I think that when you look at all your offensive wingers you have to realize that Simpson is the only left footed player in there, so unless he isn't really at that level that might give him an advantage over Hume. Also, Hume season with Leceister wasn't exactly excellent and I think Simpson had good reviews with FCK. Hume has scored 2 goals in 22 games with Canada, not exactly an impressive record.

If we would be playing 4-4-2 I would think Hume would have more chance to be in a 18 man roster.

Archived