Friendly - Canada vs Mexico - September 10 in Arlington TX

3 minutes ago, costarg said:

Ohh man, that's rough on a young kid.  Got very important minutes vs the Liga MX giants, and that happened.  Gonna take some serious sports therapy to shake those two plays off.  Crazy part is if he defended the first GA and scored the one in the dying minutes, it "could" theoretically have been 1-1 instead of 2-0.

I don't wish this kinda thing on anyone, but I would've preferred this happened to his dad than Marcelo.    

Well he scored last night against Orlando so I think he’s alright. Still, you see this kid just being ridiculed constantly by Mexicans and Canadians now. 

He would have been beloved if he played for Canada - the first true Mexican-Canadian footballer. Now this poor kid who is clearly Canadian has to fake being Mexican and undergo ridicule to make daddy happy. It’s a shame when dads have to ruin things for their kids. 

7 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Well he scored last night against Orlando so I think he’s alright. Still, you see this kid just being ridiculed constantly by Mexicans and Canadians now. 

He would have been beloved if he played for Canada - the first true Mexican-Canadian footballer. Now this poor kid who is clearly Canadian has to fake being Mexican and undergo ridicule to make daddy happy. It’s a shame when dads have to ruin things for their kids. 

Oh wow, ok so he's doing pretty well then.  We might actually end up missing this guy.

Marcelo looked decent once again last night.  He caused Orlando defenders issues throughout the game.  Last night alone showed me that he would likely already be in our extended player pool.  Probably needs to continue to play at this level but despite the two massive errors he had against Club America at Azteca, he had an overall good game and he was man of the match last night against Orlando.  He did score last night with a bit of a lucky bounce, but he was also the player fouled on Gignac's penalty.  He's likely not the player he was hyped up to be but at 20 years old, he's still got a lot of potential.

Just now, Watchmen said:

This is actually a little closer to what I was hoping the CSB would be for the CMNT: CSB making money off a Canadian home friendly...but also Canada actually getting a home friendly.

Well that is the goal and seemed to be on track until other parties decided to torpedo all progress in June 2022. 

31 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Well that is the goal and seemed to be on track until other parties decided to torpedo all progress in June 2022. 

No. The CSB wasn't involved in that friendly. That was all the CSA.

• 1 month later...

Mexico is playing New Zealand in their first match of the September window. 

The Kiwis wouldn't be the most glamourous opponent, but they'll be over here. I hope we can schedule a match with them, rather than just having a single game in September.

image.png.d6bab7258c3d7a9e93303cf52174b6e7.png

image.png.b3cc1c8dc804eb7b7e6cf1a947e69f99.png

Edit - they'll be facing Mexico in California, so maybe we meet them in Vancouver for a match? Maybe September 4th or September 13th? Not sure how long the window is....

Edited by Obinna

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The Kiwis wouldn't be the most glamourous opponent, but they'll be over here. I hope we can schedule a match with them, rather than just having a single game in September.

Edit - they'll be facing Mexico in California, so maybe we meet them in Vancouver for a match? Maybe September 4th or September 13th? Not sure how long the window is....

Looks like Sept 2 - 10 if wikipedia is to be believed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_International_Match_Calendar

19 hours ago, Obinna said:

The rumour is that when Mexico play New Zealand, we play the USA.

and when we play Mexico, New Zealand play the USA.

See this thread:

https://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/topic/80277-september-and-october-2024-friendly-matches-plans-speculation-rumours-etc/page/3/

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

18 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Hilarious that Mexico is playing Canada and New Zealand in a window. Two teams where there is no doubt that 98%~ of fans will be for Mexico. Surely a business decision but I’m sure NZ and Canada will both be happy To play along. 

I wonder how much money the usa gets for all of these Mexican games in the usa.

I find it very fascinating that all of their friendlies are in the us.

I'm assuming that the diaspora in the us is more willing fill stadiums at higher prices then the fans in Mexico. 

3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Hilarious that Mexico is playing Canada and New Zealand in a window. Two teams where there is no doubt that 98%~ of fans will be for Mexico. Surely a business decision but I’m sure NZ and Canada will both be happy To play along. 

Try 99.9%.  

I think it is kind of stupid that Mexico plays friendlies in the USA, I get  the financial/ business reasons  but If I was a Average Mexican supporter in a Monterry , Mexico City , Puebla . ETC and not be able to see my national team play/ friendlies on home soil I would be pretty pissed . .  Could you imagine the outcry if The Canadian Hockey teams played all the Internationals on American soil  because Hockey Canada thought it will be more profitable to play in Boston compared to a Montreal  youwould see riots 

3 hours ago, gigi riva said:

I think it is kind of stupid that Mexico plays friendlies in the USA, I get  the financial/ business reasons  but If I was a Average Mexican supporter in a Monterry , Mexico City , Puebla . ETC and not be able to see my national team play/ friendlies on home soil I would be pretty pissed . .  Could you imagine the outcry if The Canadian Hockey teams played all the Internationals on American soil  because Hockey Canada thought it will be more profitable to play in Boston compared to a Montreal you would see riots 

There are about 40m Mexicans in the US (the size of Canada!) and 120 million in Mexico.  And Mexicans in the US are more than 4X as wealthy as those in Mexico on average.  There is just way more disposable income there to spend on inflated football tickets. 

The difference in your analogy is Canada doesn't have a large diaspora in the US and one that is much richer than the rest of Canada. I suspect if it was the case, we would probably find similar issues.  And funnily enough, I have heard many friends of mine when I was living in the UK and now in HK ask questions like "How can Canada not have its own ice hockey league when that is your national sport? Why do you only have a few teams in an American league?"

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

By the same token that Mexico is playing in the US, shame that France friendly isn’t in Montreal. 120k (?) French citizens in the city, most working well paying jobs too. I think Canada still gets the home field advantage, but there would be a massive sway section.

Even if France agreed, would have to play at the Big O with grass and probably need a sell out to make it financially viable.  

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think Canada still gets the home field advantage, but there would be a massive sway section.

Ya, I'm not so sure.  Seriously, how many CANMNT fans are we in Montreal?  I know soccer fans, but no CANMNT fans "in real life".  Hence, I'm here.

I feel it would be like the CANMNT v Honduras match years ago.  A sea of blue.

28 minutes ago, costarg said:

Ya, I'm not so sure.  Seriously, how many CANMNT fans are we in Montreal?  I know soccer fans, but no CANMNT fans "in real life".  Hence, I'm here.

I feel it would be like the CANMNT v Honduras match years ago.  A sea of blue.

Not many from what I know, but enough to fill any stadium when Kylian Mbappe & co. are in town, that’s for sure. People love Sam Piette, Kone, any player that’s played here before, we would certainly draw, that wouldn’t be the issue. 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Even if France agreed, would have to play at the Big O with grass and probably need a sell out to make it financially viable.  

I forgot to mention the second part of my plan, which is for the city to agree to expand saputo to 45,000 to accommodate the crowd of course. 

10 hours ago, gigi riva said:

I think it is kind of stupid that Mexico plays friendlies in the USA, I get  the financial/ business reasons  but If I was a Average Mexican supporter in a Monterry , Mexico City , Puebla . ETC and not be able to see my national team play/ friendlies on home soil I would be pretty pissed . .  Could you imagine the outcry if The Canadian Hockey teams played all the Internationals on American soil  because Hockey Canada thought it will be more profitable to play in Boston compared to a Montreal  youwould see riots 

Technically hockey did the reverse- the "World Cup" is always mostly in Canada. The World Juniors are in Canada basically every other year.  And the IIHF did it for the money. So it's not a situation unique to soccer.

11 hours ago, An Observer said:

There are about 40m Mexicans in the US (the size of Canada!) and 120 million in Mexico.  And Mexicans in the US are more than 4X as wealthy as those in Mexico on average.  There is just way more disposable income there to spend on inflated football tickets. 

The difference in your analogy is Canada doesn't have a large diaspora in the US and one that is much richer than the rest of Canada. I suspect if it was the case, we would probably find similar issues.  And funnily enough, I have heard many friends of mine when I was living in the UK and now in HK ask questions like "How can Canada not have its own ice hockey league when that is your national sport? Why do you only have a few teams in an American league?"

Anecdotal and likely entirely limited to my view here in silicon valley, but there are a lot of Canadians here and we are definitely better off as engineers working here than in Canada. I think if there was a best on best hockey tournament held in the US, you would find Canadians of all sorts showing up to buy those tickets. Kind of like when they host the world juniors in the US. But definitely would not apply to soccer.

On 4/17/2024 at 7:12 PM, Vasi said:

I wonder how much money the usa gets for all of these Mexican games in the usa.

I find it very fascinating that all of their friendlies are in the us.

I'm assuming that the diaspora in the us is more willing fill stadiums at higher prices then the fans in Mexico. 

It has been reported SUM makes about US$7m for the typical Mexico friendly in the US from ticket, broadcast and sponsor revenues. FMF gets about US$2m. 

In FY22, USSF reported making $2.8m from hosting non-US involved matches.

10 minutes ago, red card said:

It has been reported SUM makes about US$7m for the typical Mexico friendly in the US from ticket, broadcast and sponsor revenues. FMF gets about US$2m. 

In FY22, USSF reported making $2.8m from hosting non-US involved matches.

Wait what....

The US make more money than the FMF?...but they make enough that it makes sense to not play the game in Mexico?

Crazy.