York United - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

11 minutes ago, jdheid said:

Betting on himself. I hope it leads to MLS opportunity, but big loss for CPL.

Big loss for CPL? The guy had 6 goals last season and was suspended for THC (not that I agree with it but there’s more to that). If York can get money for him take it and run. 

Not his best season but still, there's some talent there.  Thought he was injured earlier in the year?  

Anywho...he either needed a change of scenery or got an improved offer so it's bydie-bye York.

Learned a thing or two from the Old Man, including not sticking around where you're not appreciated it seems.

5 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Big loss for CPL? The guy had 6 goals last season and was suspended for THC (not that I agree with it but there’s more to that). If York can get money for him take it and run. 

6 goals isn't an awful strike rate considering he came off the bench a lot. I don't think we've seen the best of him. As for the THC thing, that's not a strike against him in my eye. Not a performance enhancer.

6 hours ago, jdheid said:

6 goals isn't an awful strike rate considering he came off the bench a lot. I don't think we've seen the best of him. As for the THC thing, that's not a strike against him in my eye. Not a performance enhancer.

Not a bad strike rate but definitely not a big loss. 

9 hours ago, K Edgar said:

I think it is a nice shirt, to be honest.

There are a couple things that are going on there, if we may. 

Queens Gambit. 

Then Carlsberg plays with Carlsen, namely Magnus, pretty good. 

The checks, reminding us of the checker or chess board, and the Check, Mate, smart.

Like how the fans come out to support her, all dressed naturally in the team colours, not forced.

Which all ties in nicely to a little event taking place next month in Toronto, the chess Candidates Tournament, to decide the challenger to Ding's world title. Will be watched by millions, biggest chess event in Canada ever, I think. York has its home opener on the weekend the tournament ends, so it shows a lot of attention to little details and that nice chess-football connection.

They even play with technical correction, you must hit the clock with the same hand you play with, and the black gets preference on clock position, so as we see here, the white player has to cross her body to hit it.

Someone more knowledgeable than I can say, but he defends with the Caro-Kann, it is even fairly good in that.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Someone more knowledgeable than I can say, but he defends with the Caro-Kann, it is even fairly good in that.

The Caro-Kann is played 1. e4, c6 2. d4 is all standard and solid but the next move Nf6 is not, the 3rd move for white is not shown but black's 3... e5 is terrible.

On 3/14/2024 at 6:27 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think it is a nice shirt, to be honest.

There are a couple things that are going on there, if we may. 

Queens Gambit. 

Then Carlsberg plays with Carlsen, namely Magnus, pretty good. 

The checks, reminding us of the checker or chess board, and the Check, Mate, smart.

Like how the fans come out to support her, all dressed naturally in the team colours, not forced.

Which all ties in nicely to a little event taking place next month in Toronto, the chess Candidates Tournament, to decide the challenger to Ding's world title. Will be watched by millions, biggest chess event in Canada ever, I think. York has its home opener on the weekend the tournament ends, so it shows a lot of attention to little details and that nice chess-football connection.

They even play with technical correction, you must hit the clock with the same hand you play with, and the black gets preference on clock position, so as we see here, the white player has to cross her body to hit it.

Also used John Doyle. Retired G&M tv critic but also covered World Cups/Euros for them and wrote The World is a Ball book.

Honestly, York's image since the rebrand is amazing. The logo is sharp and the jerseys are always top-notch. 

What's the stadium situation (forgive me I haven't been following as closely as I have in the past)? With the right stadium and atmosphere, I can see a lot of people supporting this team 

York has friendlies lined up against Tigres & Rayados. With being international break, they're expecting some first team players to play.

So far, York has secured three victories against Club de Soccer Saint-Laurent, Vaughan Azzurri and Toronto FC II while they played out a 1-1 draw with Forge FC last weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, red card said:

Futbol Americas had a short bit with Prez Ricardo Pasquel starting around 61 mins.

He said he was looking to be owner of 9th team before York United became available. Room in Toronto for 3-4 teams...

Beggars belief that anyone would still think that after the crowds York United have drawn. How to emulate Halifax and demonstrate that wasn't a one-off fluke outlier is what they need to be exploring rather than doubling (tripling after Vancouver FC?) down on the strategy that was least successful for them.

Davidson's article says one of the brothers has relocated to Toronto, one will do in August and the third later.

Ricardo said the idea to buy into the CPL originated in late 2022 after watching a CPL game on television in Mexico. (Similarly, on H&B Notebook podcast, they said Wheeldon credited the good CPL match production standards of OneSoccer that helped Sporting to let Dias go to the Cavs)

The brothers own several companies in Mexico, including a digital marketing outfit. Miguel has also worked at ESPN Mexico as an NFL analyst. While the brothers have not revealed the other members of the York ownership group, Ricardo says they are companies with extensive backgrounds in football.

Ricardo has already had lunch with Helena Ruker, CEO of AFC Toronto. 

15 hours ago, red card said:

Davidson's article says one of the brothers has relocated to Toronto, one will do in August and the third later.

Ricardo said the idea to buy into the CPL originated in late 2022 after watching a CPL game on television in Mexico. (Similarly, on H&B Notebook podcast, they said Wheeldon credited the good CPL match production standards of OneSoccer that helped Sporting to let Dias go to the Cavs)

The brothers own several companies in Mexico, including a digital marketing outfit. Miguel has also worked at ESPN Mexico as an NFL analyst. While the brothers have not revealed the other members of the York ownership group, Ricardo says they are companies with extensive backgrounds in football.

Ricardo has already had lunch with Helena Ruker, CEO of AFC Toronto. 

From that article:

"With Atletico Madrid also holding a stake in Mexico's Atletico San Luis club, the CPL has reasons to look south — from pre-season play to take advantage of the warm weather to "perhaps even meaningful tournaments to extend our season," said Noonan."

Possibly talking about Leagues Cup? Or would they do a similar thing with Mexico's 2nd tier?