York United - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

On 2/2/2024 at 2:32 AM, Shway said:

Great work as expected @Rocket Robin

...but as usual, no hard questions asked. It seemed like a hoopla event.

My question. "Current stadium and location is a huge issue. We are in a pub in downtown Toronto, is this a sign that the future could be somewhere here, or is York's immediate long-term future at York Lions stadium?

You missed this part?

...Pasquel also answered informally with us that FIFA will announce this weekend how many games Toronto will get at the 2026 World Cup and a large number of games (at the expense of Vancouver I suspect) will rachet up more pressure for Toronto to get facilities built or upgraded to be made available for training etc. He is not sure about moving to another stadium but everything is on the table...

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, narduch said:

I just checked his transfermarkt page and it listed he played a couple games in "CPL Relegation Playoffs", so he already has CPL experience! In this case apparently it's the Challenger Pro League in Belgium (2nd tier).

4 hours ago, narduch said:

Twitter reports saying Matthew Baldisimo will get called up by Philippines 

I'm amazed the info you find out. Is following soccer players your full time job?

I liked his point about Canada's high ceiling as a national team. Only 600 registered pro players, vs 9,500 for Mexico, and as he says if the 2 national teams play each other it's a toss up who will win. Let's hope he is right about our potential, for the national team, CPL, and York United.