Match Thread: August 19, 2023 - Vancouver FC v Pacific

narduch

guess they have kwak at the back with romeo white and cameron with garcia fry simmons as mids and cantave hundal diaz as forwards...on the other side bully toussaint is at 6 yellows according to canpl.ca and 7 yellows according to transfermarkt and soccerway but no reds this year...does he get a card today??

54 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Didn't watch this match.

How many Pacific fans made the trip?

Is there an assigned "away" section?

Looked to be about 50 but there were Pacific jerseys sprinkled around the stadium 

I feel like Fry and Renan in the midfield is a real calming presence for Vancouver. Nothing flashy but 2 solid players. Too little too late for this season but Vancouver not too shaby 

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

What section did they put them in?

I dont know the sections but the away section is to the left of the goal in front of the grassy knoll. That's where they were. Should he pretty visible on the highlights 

Edited by SpursFlu

6 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Similar to the Gazdov-Yesli comparison, who is worse between him and Jordan Haynes?

If we're going to try to be fair to players, Yesli has mostly been quite good this season, but had a nightmare of a game yesterday. I don't know a thing about how Gazdov and Cameron have played. Haynes has not looked good even for one moment.

10 minutes ago, jonovision said:

If we're going to try to be fair to players, Yesli has mostly been quite good this season, but had a nightmare of a game yesterday. I don't know a thing about how Gazdov and Cameron have played. Haynes has not looked good even for one moment.

I only see the highlights so I just threw that out there for what others (like you) think.

25 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Similar to the Gazdov-Yesli comparison, who is worse between him and Jordan Haynes?

Before he lunged and got worked on the goal I was thinking how good he is. Can someone check his birth certificate? The kid is constantly running thru a wall out there. Very aggressive and never stops running. He looked naive on the goal and him and White got totally chewed out by Renan but honestly that kid is one to watch

10 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I only see the highlights so I just threw that out there for what others (like you) think.

Onesoccer is easy enough to use and the subscription isn't that drastic for those of us who aren't close enough to be able to attend games live. Worth giving streaming a try if you have been wary of it. 

From what I have paid to see that way in the only way I can reasonably be expected to despite what the small minded bigot a few posts up implies, Yesli's a decent keeper with potential even if he looked a bit foolish when Ollie Bassett caught him out at the near post. You only tend to see goalkeeper mistakes in highlights because their best saves don't get included so much. A whole mythology about Scottish goalies built up in England because of that back in the day.

I wouldn't be surprised if Yesli gets a move elsewhere after this season. Worth bearing in mind he kept Jonathan Sirois out of the Valour's starting lineup towards the end of last season when they were chasing the playoffs.

Think goalkeeping is more of an issue for Pacific because neither Gazdov nor Baskett has been able to convincingly nail down that starting role and that might be the angle that ultimately costs them the title.

In Winnipeg, Yesli is being hung out to dry by the rest of the team a lot of the time. Think it's unduly harsh to single him out for goals one and two against Ottawa and ignore what his defenders were getting up to and how well Salter and Bassett exploited their weaknesses.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Onesoccer is easy enough to use and the subscription isn't that drastic for those of us who aren't close enough to be able to attend games live. Worth giving streaming a try if you have been wary of it. 

From what I have paid to see that way in the only way I can reasonably be expected to despite what the small minded bigot a few posts up implies, Yesli's a decent keeper with potential even if he looked a bit foolish when Ollie Bassett caught him out at the near post. You only tend to see goalkeeper mistakes in highlights because their best saves don't get included so much. A whole mythology about Scottish goalies built up in England because of that back in the day.

I wouldn't be surprised if Yesli gets a move elsewhere after this season. Worth bearing in mind he kept Jonathan Sirois out of the Valour's starting lineup towards the end of last season when they were chasing the playoffs.

Think goalkeeping is more of an issue for Pacific because neither Gazdov nor Baskett has been able to convincingly nail down that starting role and that might be the angle that ultimately costs them the title.

In Winnipeg, Yesli is being hung out to dry by the rest of the team a lot of the time. Think it's unduly harsh to single him out for goals one and two against Ottawa and ignore what his defenders were getting up to and how well Salter and Bassett exploited their weaknesses.

Thank you for your detailed perspective.

My viewing of live broadcast matches (or recordings) is dictated more by time and other priorities in my life, and this year I haven't done the full One Soccer subscription, nor Fubo, so I see the highlghts and get the differing feedback from those like yourself.  I won't be making my annual trip to Victoria this season but I hope to go to Langley for a game nearer to the end of the season just to get a feel for the venue.

I don't remember which English comedy tv show (MP's Flying Circus or Two Ronnies?) had this segment but it was called "Silly Scottish Goals of the Week!" and it included this classic by Willie Donachie: