Gold Cup 2025

xabuep2

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Which UEFA teams do you think they'll be able to get?  I'm sort of assuming it's 2 teams that don't qualify for Euro 2024.

You don't think that any top tier European teams would welcome the chance to play a tournament in the stadiums which will be hosting World Cup matches the following year?

10 hours ago, Alex said:

Maybe the 2 finalists in each confederation’s championship will be invited?

Based on most recent tournament results that would be:

UEFA - Italy, England

AFC - Qatar, Japan

CONMEBOL - Argentina, Brazil

CAF - Senegal, Egypt

Plus, the usual suspects: Mexico, USA, Canada, Honduras, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Suriname, Panama, Haiti, T&T, Jamaica, Guatemala, Curacao.....Guadeloupe? Martinique? Grenada? 

The good thing about the reps being finalists is that it ups the quality significantly. It really preps the CONCACAF world cup teams on what's to come. Would be the best Gold Cup ever, despite the awkwardness of 24-team tournaments. 

The bad thing is that minnows are going to get absolutely smashed. They get smashed 6-1 by Canada, now imagine them going up against Brazil or England. They will probably send B/C teams and they'll still get smashed, so I worry about that a bit. At the same time though, it'll be historic competition for those small island nations. 

11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Which UEFA teams do you think they'll be able to get?  I'm sort of assuming it's 2 teams that don't qualify for Euro 2024.

This would also be kind of cool. You probably end up with 2 teams on par with the mid-level concacaf teams like El Salvador if you make it so the 2 best teams not to qualify go to the Gold Cup. Ultimately though, I think Alex nails it with the glitz and glamour of the big teams coming. It'll grab attention and generate tons of dollars.  

11 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

You don't think that any top tier European teams would welcome the chance to play a tournament in the stadiums which will be hosting World Cup matches the following year?

I don't think this matters as much as other people do. I think the big nations are better off trying to find some rest for their players the summer before the tournament that matters to them, and at this point most of their players will have played in plenty of the stadiums anyway thanks to the the pre-season club friendlies.

Having said that, if CONCACAF throws a big bag of money at them for participating, then I could see it.

Just now, Watchmen said:

I don't think this matters as much as other people do. I think the big nations are better off trying to find some rest for their players the summer before the tournament that matters to them, and at this point most of their players will have played in plenty of the stadiums anyway thanks to the the pre-season club friendlies.

Having said that, if CONCACAF throws a big bag of money at them for participating, then I could see it.

Possibly they just send B or even C teams? The USA already does this and England (for example) are obviously a lot deeper than the USA. Same would apply to any Euro team making it to the finals, I imagine. 

Top players get rest and prospects get a senior team look. Seems straight forward to me. 

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Possibly they just send B or even C teams? The USA already does this and England (for example) are obviously a lot deeper than the USA. Same would apply to any Euro team making it to the finals, I imagine. 

Top players get rest and prospects get a senior team look. Seems straight forward to me. 

Certainly an option, but I don't think anyone would really be satisfied with that. CONCACAF wouldn't want a B or C team at their flagship event and fans and sponsors would be unhappy with the stars not being there.

2 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Certainly an option, but I don't think anyone would really be satisfied with that. CONCACAF wouldn't want a B or C team at their flagship event and fans and sponsors would be unhappy with the stars not being there.

Agreed.

What could they do though aside from strongly suggest teams send their best players?

Even in Copa Centenario Brazil (for example) sent a mixed team. I recall seeing Courtinho and Willian for the first time, but there was no Neymar, for example. This never hurt attendance because, it's Brazil. Same would go for Italy or England or whoever qualifies for this from UEFA and CONMEBOL.

From the giants like Argentina or Brazil, perhaps they send B teams with a sprinkling of A players who don't need the break, but from CAF and AFC we'll likely get A teams, I think. Japan or Korea wouldn't send domestic-heavy B-teams, as their domestic leagues (I believe) would be midseason. African teams, meanwhile, are primarily European when it comes to A selections, aside from a few exceptions like Egypt and Tunisia, who have big domestic cores for their A teams. Whatever the mix (Euro or domestic) they'll send their top sides to be competitive. 

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

You thinking they'll be hand-picked, eh? Could be the case. If so, why'd you choose those specific teams?

How are teams even picked? I assume that interested teams apply, and then CONCACAF chooses the best fits?

I went with teams that are good enough to be invited to international tournaments, but not good enough where the entire tournament will get dominated by non-CONCACAF teams.

I think Portugal is going to want to keep their momentum going beyond the CR7 years, so international tournaments would be really relevant for them. I also think that we'll invite a gulf state as well, and since we've already invited Qatar, Bahrain seems like a realistic choice, but I would consider them interchangeable with UAE (who actually have a stronger team, IIRC).

I think teams like England, Spain, France, they have too much to lose if they get knocked out early or straight up don't win the tournament. Those teams could look to see how a middling team like ours was able to steamroll through WC qualifying and would be afraid to get eliminated by a team that would embarass them. Mbappe missing a PK in an elimination loss against Canada at like, Tim Hortons field? That's the type of thing that will be held against his legacy.

Just realized that with the expanded tournament we may prioritize GC 23 more than anticipated. I still think NL will be top priority, but if we want to win Gold Cup 2023 will be a hell of a lot easier than 2025 by the sounds of it.

The question is how many of our stars can play in a NL final round quickly followed by a GC? Eustaquio and Davies have delt with niggles. Same with Buchanan. David could be switching clubs and may want to sit out on those grounds. If we lose those 4 and call up an A squad we could probably win though, depending on who USA and Mexico send. Johnston has remained healthy, no issues with Kone, Corbeanu and Millar (who we never had last GC) will be chomping at the bit to impress in absence of Davies/Buchanan. The MLS boys like Miller, Oso, Kaye and Piette will be in-season. Cavallini will be fit playing down in Mexico, hopefully. We could sprinkle in guys like Nelson, Rutty, ZBG and Choniere and still go for it, I believe. 

Edited by Obinna

4 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

How are teams even picked? I assume that interested teams apply, and then CONCACAF chooses the best fits?

I went with teams that are good enough to be invited to international tournaments, but not good enough where the entire tournament will get dominated by non-CONCACAF teams.

I think Portugal is going to want to keep their momentum going beyond the CR7 years, so international tournaments would be really relevant for them. I also think that we'll invite a gulf state as well, and since we've already invited Qatar, Bahrain seems like a realistic choice, but I would consider them interchangeable with UAE (who actually have a stronger team, IIRC).

Makes sense.

4 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think teams like England, Spain, France, they have too much to lose if they get knocked out early or straight up don't win the tournament. Those teams could look to see how a middling team like ours was able to steamroll through WC qualifying and would be afraid to get eliminated by a team that would embarass them. Mbappe missing a PK in an elimination loss against Canada at like, Tim Hortons field? That's the type of thing that will be held against his legacy.

We may get some superstars, but probably not all. Mbappe at Gold Cup would be huge, but France could send a super strong team without Mbappe and butts would still fill seats. 

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Makes sense.

We may get some superstars, but probably not all. Mbappe at Gold Cup would be huge, but France could send a super strong team without Mbappe and butts would still fill seats. 

Yeah, I doubt we'd get Mbappe, but I think any variation of France or England or any teams at that level would be embarrassed by not winning the tournament outright, or at least making it to the very latest rounds. For that, they'd likely have to face at least two or three of Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, and the US, all teams that could hypothetically beat them.

Wow lots of exciting things over the next couple years.

I would suspect the invite teams won't be the top teams. Probably those teams who will look to get in to the World Cup now that the competition has expanded. Like the Ireland, China, South Africa's of the world

6 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Hopefully the expansion of BMO Field, even if temporary, is  completed for 2025 GC. The CSA  could use the extra seat revenue. I suppose there is some arrangement re revenue sharing with Concacaf.

CSA wouldn't get any seat revenue from the Gold Cup. It would go to Concacaf.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Agreed.

What could they do though aside from strongly suggest teams send their best players?

I think this is why you won't see the big teams invited from Europe. I think they'll try to pick a couple of teams that missed the Euro or WC but still have "name" players. Norway with Haaland as a possible example.

58 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Interesting...so the USSF has received no financial gain from hosting the GC in past yrs?

I'm sure there's some sort of arrangement there, but it's not as straightforward as it would be if the CSA was hosting friendlies or WCQ games.