Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

On 5/13/2024 at 9:16 PM, InglewoodJack said:

Oh, Borjan is also having a pretty solid season. Leading the Slovak league in fewest goals conceded. Bratislava have once again run away with the title. 

I actually hope Marsch thinks for himself and brings back Borjan. Or at least has a talk with him. 

I would not like to see Marsch conditioned by Biello's decisions regarding roster in any way. I mean, "oh him, yeah, he's ageing. That guy, he should be retired". Well thanks but I better find out for myself. 

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I actually hope Marsch thinks for himself and brings back Borjan. Or at least has a talk with him. 

I would not like to see Marsch conditioned by Biello's decisions regarding roster in any way. I mean, "oh him, yeah, he's ageing. That guy, he should be retired". Well thanks but I better find out for myself. 

It all depends on who was on the list on May 5. Marsch could only pick from there which I presume Mauro made.

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don’t think Borjan has distinguished himself in the same way Hoilett has in terms of pushing to get unretired. Despite weak seasons from our other keepers, I still think we’ve got a better shot with those guys and even beyond that, while bringing back a former captain isn’t unheard of, I think bringing back such a strong personality/leader because you’re lacking at the position, I’m not too into that. 

Hopefully he does make contact. I think Borjan should eventually get a gig on our coaching staff, and the way Marsch was speaking about hoping things become long term with us, it could be on Marsch’s staff. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:
  1. GK - Crepeau
  2. GK - St. Clair
  3. GK - Sirois
  4. D - Johnston
  5. D - Laryea*
  6. D - Bombito
  7. D - Waterman
  8. D - McGraw?
  9. D - Cornelius 
  10. D - Adekugbe*
  11. D - Kennedy?
  12. D - LDF?
  13. M - Eustaquio
  14. M - Kone
  15. M - Ahmed
  16. M - Choniere
  17. M - Piette?
  18. M - Osorio?
  19. M - Hoilett?
  20. M - Paton?
  21. M - Loturi?
  22. F - Davies
  23. F - David
  24. F - Buchanan 
  25. F - Larin
  26. F - Ugbo?
  27. F - Bair?
  28. F - JRR*
  29. F - Millar
  30. F - Jebbison?
  31. F - Brym?
  32. F - Nelson?
  33. F - Corneabu?
  34. F - Schaffleburg?

Ultimately I don't know what Jesse is thinking, obviously, but I imagine these are the players in contention. Yellow guys are on the bubble for me, red are currently injured but could be fit in time, and black are locks (at least in my mind). 

There are a lot of players in yellow here....15 of 34 .....including Jebbison who I threw in as a potential surprise. 

Assuming the guys in red are out....that's 10 spots up for grabs....15 guys fighting for those 10 spots....maybe more if you think someone like a Kerr, a Raposo, or a Tani Oluwaeysi factors in....

Edit: Forgot Heibert. You'd have to think he's at least under consideration after Marsch mentioned him specificially.

Edit #2: Forgot Miller, too. He's going to be there in black. 

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

I don’t think Borjan has distinguished himself in the same way Hoilett has in terms of pushing to get unretired. Despite weak seasons from our other keepers, I still think we’ve got a better shot with those guys and even beyond that, while bringing back a former captain isn’t unheard of, I think bringing back such a strong personality/leader because you’re lacking at the position, I’m not too into that. 

Hopefully he does make contact. I think Borjan should eventually get a gig on our coaching staff, and the way Marsch was speaking about hoping things become long term with us, it could be on Marsch’s staff. 

Crepeau has leaked goals all season for Portland, it is probably a lot to do with their coach, but he does not look half as good as he did even when he got over his injury for those few weeks last season.

St Clair, for me, has never even been as close as Crepeau, he does not have the technical quality. Though I have not seen him under the new coach, maybe he is adding things. 

Neither is in a stellar moment and while Borjan has also taken a step down, I'd argue his competitive level is higher than either right now.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:
  1. GK - Crepeau
  2. GK - St. Clair
  3. GK - Sirois
  4. D - Johnston
  5. D - Laryea*
  6. D - Bombito
  7. D - Waterman
  8. D - McGraw?
  9. D - Cornelius 
  10. D - Adekugbe*
  11. D - Kennedy?
  12. D - LDF?
  13. M - Eustaquio
  14. M - Kone
  15. M - Ahmed
  16. M - Choniere
  17. M - Piette?
  18. M - Osorio?
  19. M - Hoilett?
  20. M - Paton?
  21. M - Loturi?
  22. F - Davies
  23. F - David
  24. F - Buchanan 
  25. F - Larin
  26. F - Ugbo?
  27. F - Bair?
  28. F - JRR*
  29. F - Millar
  30. F - Jebbison?
  31. F - Brym?
  32. F - Nelson?
  33. F - Corneabu?
  34. F - Schaffleburg?

Ultimately I don't know what Jesse is thinking, obviously, but I imagine these are the players in contention. Yellow guys are on the bubble for me, red are currently injured but could be fit in time, and black are locks (at least in my mind). 

There are a lot of players in yellow here....15 of 34 .....including Jebbison who I threw in as a potential surprise. 

Assuming the guys in red are out....that's 10 spots up for grabs....15 guys fighting for those 10 spots....maybe more if you think someone like a Kerr, a Raposo, or a Tani Oluwaeysi factors in....

Edit: Forgot Heibert. You'd have to think he's at least under consideration after Marsch mentioned him specificially.

Thanks for doing that. Kamal not on that list?

I'd say Osorio and Piette are also locks. Think he'll take Shaffelburg, and one of Ubgo or Bair. Or both.

Corbeanu would be odd to leave off, being in La Liga and playing with and against a ton of guys we'll see in Copa, but truth is, the team is so poor and he's not had a chance to shine either. 

But if we add him, to your core 15, and the rest mentioned, is still just 21 players. Add Miller and another defender and that is not a bad mix. 

53 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Crepeau has leaked goals all season for Portland, it is probably a lot to do with their coach, but he does not look half as good as he did even when he got over his injury for those few weeks last season.

St Clair, for me, has never even been as close as Crepeau, he does not have the technical quality. Though I have not seen him under the new coach, maybe he is adding things. 

Neither is in a stellar moment and while Borjan has also taken a step down, I'd argue his competitive level is higher than either right now.

Crepeau isn't as good when he's not behind an all star team with a good manager? Weird... And I think he's compete level took a step back whe  he decided to go to Portland rather than test Europe. Really disappointing in that move.

I think with Borjan, it's a case of would he accept a call up without being guaranteed the starting spot. Because I think the starting position  really will be determined in the training camps/friendlies before the tournament. I'd like to see both Crepeau and DSC given an opportunity, but if Borjan is looking better than them then a) shame on them and b) go with Borjan.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Corbeanu would be odd to leave off, being in La Liga and playing with and against a ton of guys we'll see in Copa, but truth is, the team is so poor and he's not had a chance to shine either. 

But if we add him, to your core 15, and the rest mentioned, is still just 21 players. Add Miller and another defender and that is not a bad mix. 

I don't see how Corbeanu playing in La Liga (even for a weak team getting relegated) doesn't at least get called to an extended squad for European friendlies in Western Europe. Like I said with Metcalfe, nothing to lose by bringing him in to take a look. And for Corbeanu it's more true, given the level he is playing at, training with, etc. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I agree, I just don’t think the difference is significant enough for him to get called up again after we basically retired him. If he does get called though I wouldn’t be too upset- we have a sad state of affairs in net. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As one of the first guys to jump on the "prepare for 2026" wagon and also cause of the level he's playing against, I was convinced it was time on Borjan.  However that was also due to what we were seeing from Crepreau, Sirois and a bit of DSC.  Yet I totally agree with you here, given the state of competition at keeper, Borjan should be in the running for a spot and a fair shot, regardless of age.  However, this implies that Marsch has to look at how he's been performing as well as the level of competition, not blindly invite him because of how he played for us in 2021.  His league is far inferior to anything the MLS guys are facing week in and out.  No one should get invites based on history, it needs to be purely based on how they're performing lately.  

4 hours ago, Obinna said:
  1. GK - Crepeau
  2. GK - St. Clair
  3. GK - Sirois
  4. D - Johnston
  5. D - Laryea*
  6. D - Bombito
  7. D - Waterman
  8. D - McGraw?
  9. D - Cornelius 
  10. D - Adekugbe*
  11. D - Kennedy?
  12. D - LDF?
  13. M - Eustaquio
  14. M - Kone
  15. M - Ahmed
  16. M - Choniere
  17. M - Piette?
  18. M - Osorio?
  19. M - Hoilett?
  20. M - Paton?
  21. M - Loturi?
  22. F - Davies
  23. F - David
  24. F - Buchanan 
  25. F - Larin
  26. F - Ugbo?
  27. F - Bair?
  28. F - JRR*
  29. F - Millar
  30. F - Jebbison?
  31. F - Brym?
  32. F - Nelson?
  33. F - Corneabu?
  34. F - Schaffleburg?

I think Fraser makes it as well, probably ahead of  both Loturi and Paton.

But really nice job on the list!

@costarg spot on with your last two posts. And good list @Obinna...it's crazy how we can forget about a name.

Fraser has been consistently playing on a weak FC Dallas squad, but I've always thought his style would benefit Staq and Kone.

However, we're talking from Marschs style of play, and Loturis quickness and mobility might be better favoured for this style.

new coach. New philosophies. New Canada.

It's all interesting.

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

I don't see how Corbeanu playing in La Liga (even for a weak team getting relegated) doesn't at least get called to an extended squad for European friendlies in Western Europe. Like I said with Metcalfe, nothing to lose by bringing him in to take a look. And for Corbeanu it's more true, given the level he is playing at, training with, etc. 

I was specifically thinking there are a few Uruguay internationals on his team in Granada, Pellistri, Bruno Méndez, Arezo, all in or on the edge of their national team; he's not as good the former, but not a big step down, it is a context of quality, training, as you say.

I've been disappointed to see both his starts this year he was subbed off at the half. He had problems to be incisive, when we have seen he can be incisive. Perhaps he is more motivated off the bench. Or is insecure about what is asked of him, which I think is a problem. Just go for it Theo, don't overthink it.

7 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I agree, I just don’t think the difference is significant enough for him to get called up again after we basically retired him. If he does get called though I wouldn’t be too upset- we have a sad state of affairs in net. 

I really dislike it when long-standing Canada players go out "not with a bang but a whimper", to quote the poet. Atiba too, not even a send off match where they present him with honours? Atiba, Borjan, a few others, at their age, deserve a bit more. 

Just ask him: Milan, how about a last waltz?

6 hours ago, costarg said:

As one of the first guys to jump on the "prepare for 2026" wagon and also cause of the level he's playing against, I was convinced it was time on Borjan.  However that was also due to what we were seeing from Crepreau, Sirois and a bit of DSC.  Yet I totally agree with you here, given the state of competition at keeper, Borjan should be in the running for a spot and a fair shot, regardless of age.  However, this implies that Marsch has to look at how he's been performing as well as the level of competition, not blindly invite him because of how he played for us in 2021.  His league is far inferior to anything the MLS guys are facing week in and out.  No one should get invites based on history, it needs to be purely based on how they're performing lately.  

You should recall Borjan's team played 8 matches in Conference League, including vs. Lille (though the worst loss, vs. Sturm Graz, was the one he didn't play), which in itself is almost as many matches as Crepeau has played this season. He played twice vs. Lille, which is superior to most if not all of MLS, lost 2-1 away, drew 1-1 at home. I am not sure any team in MLS could get those results.

Crepeau only came back from injury at the tail end of last MLS season. He has not fully adjusted to his post-injury scenario. Then Portland has the second worst goals against in all of MLS, only mitigated by the fact they are tied for third best attack. Not a good sign for a keeper nor the back line.

14 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thanks I did not realise that. 

Is that to ensure Fifa permissions from their clubs, or for paperwork reasons?

I read that a list of players had to be sent to FIFA by May 5.

According to the Copa wiki page, preliminary rosters were due May 5. Max 55 players, 4 of which have to be keepers.

The final rosters are due June 12. Only players on the preliminary roster can be in the final roster

However injury replacements are allowed up to 24 hours before your first match.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You should recall Borjan's team played 8 matches in Conference League, including vs. Lille (though the worst loss, vs. Sturm Graz, was the one he didn't play), which in itself is almost as many matches as Crepeau has played this season. He played twice vs. Lille, which is superior to most if not all of MLS, lost 2-1 away, drew 1-1 at home. I am not sure any team in MLS could get those results.

Crepeau only came back from injury at the tail end of last MLS season. He has not fully adjusted to his post-injury scenario. Then Portland has the second worst goals against in all of MLS, only mitigated by the fact they are tied for third best attack. Not a good sign for a keeper nor the back line.

Ya, good point.  Those teams are rated higher than I assumed.  So he's actually got 16 good level competitive matches in the past year.  2 of the conference teams are rated above anything in MLS, 1 way below, the rest are all mid-MLS level teams and we need to add the Japan and Jamaica matches to that.  All in all, not a bad body of work.

Only question is if Marsch wants to continue on that path or plan/develop for 2026.  Either way, Borjan has to be in the discussion.

17 hours ago, Obinna said:
  1. GK - Crepeau
  2. GK - St. Clair
  3. GK - Sirois
  4. D - Johnston
  5. D - Laryea*
  6. D - Bombito
  7. D - Waterman
  8. D - McGraw?
  9. D - Cornelius 
  10. D - Adekugbe*
  11. D - Kennedy?
  12. D - LDF?
  13. M - Eustaquio
  14. M - Kone
  15. M - Ahmed
  16. M - Choniere
  17. M - Piette?
  18. M - Osorio?
  19. M - Hoilett?
  20. M - Paton?
  21. M - Loturi?
  22. F - Davies
  23. F - David
  24. F - Buchanan 
  25. F - Larin
  26. F - Ugbo?
  27. F - Bair?
  28. F - JRR*
  29. F - Millar
  30. F - Jebbison?
  31. F - Brym?
  32. F - Nelson?
  33. F - Corneabu?
  34. F - Schaffleburg?

Tani is another guy that could be added to this list in yellow.