Match Thread: World Cup Group F - Matchday 1 - Belgium v Canada - November 23, 2022 - 10pm local time / 2pm ET / 11am PT

narduch

19 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Larin has barely played at all for his club this year. He’s definitely better for country than club for sure, but at a certain point, he just isn’t as in form as our other guys. Agreed that he was buzzing today though

Oh, I didn't know Cyle Larin hasn't played much for his club this year. He is still our best finisher though, I think we got to start him, especially as you can see in the game, we lack finishers.

But otherwise, I think John Herdman did everything right.  With a little luck, we could have won or at least tied the match. I'm pretty happy with the formation and strategies that John Herdman prepared, against the #2 team in the world.

Edited by football_world

9 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

David looked nervous all game.  I have no idea but maybe he didn't want it. Still Vitoria should be next in my opinion. Or even Junior.

David also has been vocal about transferring for a top European team. I don't think nerves was the reason. I think this was the coaches decision. 

4 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

People complaining about the ref are a bit out to lunch IMO. You think we should have been given two additional PKs in the 1st half? The Eustaquio blocked shot was NEVER a penalty, the defenders arms were tight to his body and if that went against Canada we'd be livid.

The Lareya decision was maybe a bit tighter, but I agree with the commentary at the time that Lareya went looking for contact. No PK in my opinion.

Overall, very proud of the boys. We'll need more from David and Davies against Croatia if we want to beat them though.

And yes, no more egos please (Cavallini, Davies PKs), our PK taker should be Jonathan David and that's that. If he isn't on, probably Vitoria!

Plenty of Spain fans in media comments are saying we deserved one maybe two more penalties.

Most press here are saying the same as we are, we outplayed them for most of the game and deserved more. And that Courtois saved them.

If you have a penalty you need to score because in open play Courtois intimidates rivals.

Just now, ECW said:

Very tough to lose on such an obvious mistake. Mistakes that happen within the play, okay, that’s football… but this was something else. David, Vitoria, Hoillet… penalties should not be about who has the greatest media attention or the most tiktok followers. 

Don't be this guy.

It was about who had the balls to take it. If David wanted if, Davies would have deferred like he has several other times for Canada.

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

Don't be this guy.

It was about who had the balls to take it. If David wanted if, Davies would have deferred like he has several other times for Canada.

Yeah seriously, is there any evidence David even tried to question Davies on taking it?  He may have still been a deer in the headlights at that moment, it was 8 minutes in.

Just now, BigMo said:

Was there even an exchange between the players re: who will take the penalty? Didnt see anything on TV. 

I also dont think it shoud've been Alphonso, but would be more understandable if everyone else shied away. 

From memory (it’s foggy), seemed the broadcast said Davies wanted it instantly. 

Hope the team has a convo saying 

David - Captain Phillips GIF

Without getting too negative because overall that was a pretty amazing performance 

I put it on Herdman.  The pk taker should have been decided before the game and as an Alphonso Davies super fan, I've never seen anything that would convince me that Phonzie should have taken that penalty. I don't blame him, he's got that confidence. That's a good thing 

6 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

People complaining about the ref are a bit out to lunch IMO. You think we should have been given two additional PKs in the 1st half? The Eustaquio blocked shot was NEVER a penalty, the defenders arms were tight to his body and if that went against Canada we'd be livid.

The Lareya decision was maybe a bit tighter, but I agree with the commentary at the time that Lareya went looking for contact. No PK in my opinion.

Overall, very proud of the boys. We'll need more from David and Davies against Croatia if we want to beat them though.

And yes, no more egos please (Cavallini, Davies PKs), our PK taker should be Jonathan David and that's that. If he isn't on, probably Vitoria!

There was actually another potential missed penalty aside from those that I only noticed after ...you can see a closeup on Buchannan's foot

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Without getting too negative because overall that was a pretty amazing performance 

I put it on Herdman.  The pk taker should have been decided before the game and as an Alphonso Davies super fan, I've never seen anything that would convince me that Phonzie should have taken that penalty. I don't blame him, he's got that confidence. That's a good thing 

I think there was a mention on the last NFP pod that Herdman leaves it up to the players. It doesn't take away from your point, but he's been up front about it being in the players hands and perhaps that's part of the style that makes players want to play hard for him 🤷‍♂️