Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

16 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Ok, here's a thought. Yes, Valour have done the whole "thank you" post to Riggi, Pena and Cebara on Twitter, but if you remember last year, they did the same for Levis, only to re-sign him before the start of the season. So, technically, there is still a possibility that one of those 3 could line up for Valour next season.

Ie: they made them an offer and walked away from the table. Who blinks first!?

As previously mentioned by @msv1994, Icelandic news reports suggest we have actually signed Kian Williams. Granted, the article is very small and doesn't offer any real information, but it has to have come from somewhere right?

https://www.mbl.is/sport/efstadeild/2022/12/09/fra_keflavik_til_kanada/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=ithrottir-twitter&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1670584157

Pianelli has size and experience in the French 4th tier.  Both have played in the PLSQ...

from northerntribune:

Round 1, Pick 5: Valour FC – Guillaume Pianelli Balisoni (Universite du Quebec a Trois-Rivieres)

24-year-old centre-back Pianelli Balisoni was drafted by Forge last year, but now it’s Valour who have laid claim on the third-year UQTR defender. Standing at an imposing six-foot-four, he helped his university to a U SPORTS Championship in 2019.

Born in Bastia, France, Pianelli Balisoni developed with national third division side FC Bastia after going through the SC Basia youth development program. Proving a big presence on Canadian pastures, there are many who think he can make a seamless step into CPL.

Round 2, Pick 3: Valour FC – Samuel Laplante (Universite du Quebec a Trois-Rivieres)

Valour boss Philip Dos Santos double-dipped with UQTR, with his second round selection adding left-back Samuel Laplante. He made nine starts for the team this year, collecting two assists along the way.

There’s a lot of defensive shuffling going on at IG Field, and if Laplante plays his cards right he might serve as a good understudy to new Valour signing Jordan Haynes.

----------------

from canpl.ca:

Pick 5 (Valour FC): Guillaume Pianelli Balisoni, Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières

Another player previously drafted by a CPL club returning to the fold is Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières defender Guillaume Pianelli Balisoni. He was drafted seventh overall last year by Forge FC, but like Campoli, didn’t make an appearance for the club in 2022.

The 24-year-old centre-back, born in France, helped UQTR win the 2019 U SPORTS Championship, and his importance to the side was recognized with a spot in the all-tournament team. He previously spent time in the S.C. Bastia youth system, and played for EF Bastia of the Championnat National 2 (the French fourth tier) as well.

Pick 3 (Valour FC): Samuel Laplante, Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières

Like York did, picking two teammates in the draft, Valour followed in their footsteps by selecting a teammate of their first pick Guillaume Pianelli Balisoni. With the 12th overall pick, Valour selected Samuel Laplante, a defender out of Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières.

Suiting up at left back for the Patriotes, Laplante made nine appearances, starting all of them. He picked up two assists on the year, both in games against Sherbrooke, and could be a good understudy for Phil Dos Santos’ team, behind recently-signed left back Jordan Haynes.

7 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Can't say that the draft fills me with confidence. It was obvious that we needed another forward more than defenders, but PDS still opted for defenders.

I can still see Hidalgo at the pre season training camp though. Honestly? I saw PDS taking a punt on Balbinotti to push Ponce.

Both Valour's draft choices are with OBELISQ (as are Yesli, Mekideche and Rea), so obviously Valour and OBELISQ are talking.  OBELISQ also happens to represent free agent forward Stefan Karajovanovic (2021 HFX, 2022 TFC II) who I expect will return to the CPL this year.  Karajovanovic could help Valour up front.

7 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Can't say that the draft fills me with confidence. It was obvious that we needed another forward more than defenders, but PDS still opted for defenders.

I can still see Hidalgo at the pre season training camp though. Honestly? I saw PDS taking a punt on Balbinotti to push Ponce.

I don't think Winnipeg is going to be able to draft it's way out of the current attacking talent hole. These U-Sports players so far have been projects or not viable professionals at all, so I think your move is always to go with the best player available. You're not filling a starting xi spot from the draft.

9 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I don't think Winnipeg is going to be able to draft it's way out of the current attacking talent hole. These U-Sports players so far have been projects or not viable professionals at all, so I think your move is always to go with the best player available. You're not filling a starting xi spot from the draft.

But with the options already at the back, would it not have made more sense to look at a midfielder or attacker? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they need to be starters, but it is definitely an area that we now lack depth.

19 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

But with the options already at the back, would it not have made more sense to look at a midfielder or attacker? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they need to be starters, but it is definitely an area that we now lack depth.

Currently Valour lacks depth in all positions.  We do not know what Valour has in the way of unannounced players so it could that they have far options at forward than we are aware.  It is unlikely that the USports draft was going to provide a guaranteed starter at any position.  All they can do if draft players they hope might be a solid depth player with the potential to be a starter in the future.  The first round choice has size and experience in France, so I am cautiously optimistic on that selection.  2nd round choice - I hope PDS see something...

1 hour ago, K Edgar said:

Both Valour's draft choices are with OBELISQ (as are Yesli, Mekideche and Rea), so obviously Valour and OBELISQ are talking.  OBELISQ also happens to represent free agent forward Stefan Karajovanovic (2021 HFX, 2022 TFC II) who I expect will return to the CPL this year.  Karajovanovic could help Valour up front.

Karajovanovic would be a solid replacement for Dyer. He's a player who creates a lot of chances, but holy shit he has had a tough time finishing. I liked watching him with HFX, but the end product was just coming up short.

Well, assuming Valour keep both draft picks and, from what I understand about "draft rights retained", Valour currently have 14 players (15 if we have actually signed Kian Williams).

We still need another keeper (Evan Barker?), another CB or 2, probably 2 mids, 2 wingers and a forward. That would give a 23 man squad for the '23 season.

On 12/15/2022 at 2:21 AM, EnigMattic1 said:

As previously mentioned by @msv1994, Icelandic news reports suggest we have actually signed Kian Williams. Granted, the article is very small and doesn't offer any real information, but it has to have come from somewhere right?

https://www.mbl.is/sport/efstadeild/2022/12/09/fra_keflavik_til_kanada/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=ithrottir-twitter&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1670584157

Why is Valour wasting an international spot on a player who played 7th division in England? 

21 minutes ago, top cheese said:

Why is Valour wasting an international spot on a player who played 7th division in England? 

Look at this another way, If he turns out to be half decent, how come we can find someone playing in Iceland, but not in League1 Canada? It's not like he has any connection to Canada either.

6 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Look at this another way, If he turns out to be half decent, how come we can find someone playing in Iceland, but not in League1 Canada? It's not like he has any connection to Canada either.

They've wasted international spots on worse before. Adam Mitter, anyone? Stephen Hoyle? 

I also think it's a bit unfair to characterize this guy as a 7th tier England player when he left England at 18. I don't know anything about Icelandic football, but I think that would be a better way to judge his level.

Edited by jonovision

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

They've wasted international spots on worse before. Adam Mitter, anyone? Stephen Hoyle? 

I also think it's a bit unfair to characterize this guy as a 7th tier England player when he left England at 18. I don't know anything about Icelandic football, but I think that would be a better way to judge his level.

Does anyone know how the level of play in the Icelandic league (Besta deild karla) compares to the CanPL?  (Looking at the standing from last year they certainly do not have parity between top and bottom clubs)

5 hours ago, jonovision said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to take anything away from the guy, I just fail to see how we can find a player on a different continent, but can't find anyone in out own backyard. I mean, do you believe there is genuinely nobody in League1 Canada who could be at least a squad player?

49 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to take anything away from the guy, I just fail to see how we can find a player on a different continent, but can't find anyone in out own backyard. I mean, do you believe there is genuinely nobody in League1 Canada who could be at least a squad player?

International players exist in CPL and most won't be stars. Often they'll be willing to play for less than an equally talented Canadian, though I'm not sure that's likely in this case.