Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

17 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Is it January? I must have misread the date.

An extra month for us to get in shape for the tryouts!

I could see Valour using the tryouts to bring in a few of their own prospects for evaluation -- perhaps from League 1 or USports.  Hope some MB youth are able to impress even if they are a longer term project they might earn the opportunity to step up to FC Manitoba.

5 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

An extra month for us to get in shape for the tryouts!

I could see Valour using the tryouts to bring in a few of their own prospects for evaluation -- perhaps from League 1 or USports.  Hope some MB youth are able to impress even if they are a longer term project they might earn the opportunity to step up to FC Manitoba.

I'm calling it now. Aaron Hidalgo-Mazzei missing out for the 5th consecutive year. The fact that he keeps coming back shows his determination though.

Talking of FC Manitoba though, I am surprised that there isn't any sort of link between them and Valour. I mean, a number of players have played for both and we seem to get a lot of their guys in at training camp (Ok, not a lot, but you get the idea). Also, don't you think a Valour - FC Manitoba friendly would be a decent money spinner?

Ok, make of this what you will, but this is from the Eikon website:

Complete name: Néstor Monge
Date of birth: January 7 1990
Place of birth: Pérez Zeledón, Costa Rica
Height: 1.8m (5ft11in)
Nationality: Costa Rican
Position: DM/CB
Foot: Right
Current club:

Valour FC

Maybe they just don't update their website regularly? But, with them having the number of players that they do. you would have assumed that it would be managed properly.

Néstor Monge is a veteran of the top leagues of CONCACAF. Nearing 200 matches in the Costa Rican Primera División, Monge has also played in the Guatemalan Liga Nacional and the Liga de Expansión in Mexico. Monge has appeared in 6 matches for the Costa Rican National Team as recently as 2019 against the United States Men’s National Team. Néstor was signed at the beginning of 2021, by Valour FC, but unfortunately the contract had to be terminated due to Visa issues. Nestor will remain in Central America for the rest of the year with an eye on joining Valour a year later for the 2022 season, Visa pending. As a deep lying 6, Néstor’s vision and intelligence will instantly improve the team in possession and in regaining possession.

2 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Ok, make of this what you will, but this is from the Eikon website:

Complete name: Néstor Monge
Date of birth: January 7 1990
Place of birth: Pérez Zeledón, Costa Rica
Height: 1.8m (5ft11in)
Nationality: Costa Rican
Position: DM/CB
Foot: Right
Current club:

Valour FC

Maybe they just don't update their website regularly? But, with them having the number of players that they do. you would have assumed that it would be managed properly.

Néstor Monge is a veteran of the top leagues of CONCACAF. Nearing 200 matches in the Costa Rican Primera División, Monge has also played in the Guatemalan Liga Nacional and the Liga de Expansión in Mexico. Monge has appeared in 6 matches for the Costa Rican National Team as recently as 2019 against the United States Men’s National Team. Néstor was signed at the beginning of 2021, by Valour FC, but unfortunately the contract had to be terminated due to Visa issues. Nestor will remain in Central America for the rest of the year with an eye on joining Valour a year later for the 2022 season, Visa pending. As a deep lying 6, Néstor’s vision and intelligence will instantly improve the team in possession and in regaining possession.

Most of that is correct: Monge was signed with Valour in Feb 2021, contract terminated in Apr 2021 -- BUT, he did not return in 2022.  Anything could happen in 2023?

2 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Most of that is correct: Monge was signed with Valour in Feb 2021, contract terminated in Apr 2021 -- BUT, he did not return in 2022.  Anything could happen in 2023?

Yeah, I know that. It just seems weird that his agents who, if recent activity is anything to go by, are pretty good with their business, would still have him listed as a Valour player. 

9 hours ago, narduch said:

So is there a Canada or CPL link to Tulsa?

Three of their assistant coaches played for Canadian teams for  short periods, doesn't seem to be enough to explain 2 players moving there.

Edit: Actually fairly strong, Richie Ryan was with Ottawa Fury when Philip Dos Santos was assistant coach with his brother.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

So, given that we now have 2 more confirmed signings in Pacifique and Kian, our current squad looks like:

• 1x GK
  • 1x RB
  • 2x CB
  • 1x LB
  • 1x DM
  • 3x CM
  • 2x Wingers
  • 2x SC
  • 2x Draft picks
  • 1x Rights Retained

So, 13 confirmed and 3 potential. I still agree with the Barker/Artemenko as 2nd keeper but we still need more defenders and wingers that stand out.

I am not going down my usual "Hidalgo-Mazzei" route as I am becoming increasingly doubtful he would get a shot. What is everyone's opinion on David Norman JR? He would offer depth ad CB, DM and CM. As a side note, his dad played for Winnipeg Fury.

If we went down the former player path, Garcia could be an option at RB. He has improved since he last played for us and knows the club already. Alternatively, undrafted players from the MLS Superdraft could be an option for depth.

44 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

So, given that we now have 2 more confirmed signings in Pacifique and Kian, our current squad looks like:

• 1x GK
  • 1x RB
  • 2x CB
  • 1x LB
  • 1x DM
  • 3x CM
  • 2x Wingers
  • 2x SC
  • 2x Draft picks
  • 1x Rights Retained

So, 13 confirmed and 3 potential. I still agree with the Barker/Artemenko as 2nd keeper but we still need more defenders and wingers that stand out.

I am not going down my usual "Hidalgo-Mazzei" route as I am becoming increasingly doubtful he would get a shot. What is everyone's opinion on David Norman JR? He would offer depth ad CB, DM and CM. As a side note, his dad played for Winnipeg Fury.

If we went down the former player path, Garcia could be an option at RB. He has improved since he last played for us and knows the club already. Alternatively, undrafted players from the MLS Superdraft could be an option for depth.

Norman Jr would be a solid addition.

Garcia could get a training camp invite but would have to prove himself to get a roster spot.  Speaking of former Valour players Ulloa's return has been rumoured.  Also, Musse, another former Valour player, has not re-signed with Cavalry at this point.  Welshman, who could provide proven CanPL goal scoring, is looking for more playing time than Forge has been giving him.  Karajovanovic was cut by TFC II and could return to the CanPL.  Greenidge-Duncan, a young winger, was also cut by TFC II and would count for Canadian U21 minutes.  I believe there is a minimum 3 Cdn U21 roster spots for each CanPL team this year, so Valour will need 1 more.

Finally don't count out Romeo, Mekideche, Mikhael and Fordyce quite yet.