Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

3 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I just want more updates. Assuming he has signed, and counting both draft picks, we are still 8 players short of the 23. By my estimation, a keeper, a striker, 2 CB, 2 CM and 2 wingers

I believe your count is correct.  But, no guarantee the 3 USports players (Carlos, Pianelli and LaPlante) will be signed. (at least that is my interpretation of Carlos' "rights retained")  Then there are the question marks: Romeo, Mekideche, Fordyce, Mikhael and of course Esparza.  And then a few locals who may sign (Barker) or be invited to camp (Tomy, Hidalgo, Reveco) -- let's add Artemenko and Pena to the list of possible local invitees.  At this point a would not be surprised if there were several signees who are yet to be announced.  Seems they like to announce about 1/week?

Edited by K Edgar

9 hours ago, K Edgar said:

I believe your count is correct.  But, no guarantee the 3 USports players (Carlos, Pianelli and LaPlante) will be signed. (at least that is my interpretation of Carlos' "rights retained")  Then there are the question marks: Romeo, Mekideche, Fordyce, Mikhael and of course Esparza.  And then a few locals who may sign (Barker) or be invited to camp (Tomy, Hidalgo, Reveco) -- let's add Artemenko and Pena to the list of possible local invitees.  At this point a would not be surprised if there were several signees who are yet to be announced.  Seems they like to announce about 1/week?

Yeah, the "rights retained" is pretty vague. I agree with the "locals" though. Would be a bit of a kick in the teeth if Pena was invited back though. I would like to see Artemenko get his shot though as he still appears to hold the fans and (some) staff in high regard. I would genuinely feel sorry for Hidalgo if he is, again, invited back and not offered a chance. This will be his 5th year,

AS far as the question marks, it may be worth remembering that, last season, Levis was let go, only to re-sign closer to the start of the season. So there is also a chance (minimal at best) that we will see one of Cebara, Riggi or Pena (who you think could be at camp), back at Valour next season.

With all the speculating aside, a lot would depend on how PDS actually wants Valour to line up. I mean, he tried a variety of different tactics last season and I'm sure there was even a 3-at-the-back on more than one occasion.

1 hour ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Blatantly. But, from a supporters perspective, does that sort of move fill you with confidence? I mean, it is the sort of thing you would expect Vancouver to do in order to ensure they have enough players to start the season.

It's silly but I don't mind any time Valour attempts to do more than the bare minimum to connect with the local soccer community.

12 minutes ago, jonovision said:

It's silly but I don't mind any time Valour attempts to do more than the bare minimum to connect with the local soccer community.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I am all for more community interaction. That will increase the profile of the club. But, if they were genuinely serious about the open trials, you would have thought they would have given a little more notice and maybe even had them at a couple of different venues. I mean, maybe there could be a decent prospect in somewhere like Brandon? Valour are the "top" team in Manitoba after all.

Pacifique Niyongabire
Pacifique Niyongabire with Perth Glory, 2022.jpg
Niyongabire warming up for Perth Glory in 2022
Personal information
Full name Pacifique Niyongabire
Date of birth 15 March 2000 (age 22)
Place of birth Bujumbura, Burundi
Height 1.74 m (5 ft 8+12 in)
Position(s) Winger
Youth career
  Playford City Patriots
  Gawler SC
Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2017–2021 Adelaide United NPL 57 (25)
2018–2021 Adelaide United 24 (1)
2021–2022 Perth Glory 17 (0)
International career
2022– Burundi 1 (0)

1 A-League goal

17 minutes ago, Big_M said:

a backup in a-league like lawrie..1200 minutes over 5 years..will be interesting to see what he does in cpl

Worth noting that he was on scholarship from 2018 to 2021, not super dissimilar to being a CPL Development contract player. So while he was under contract since 2018, he was spending most of those years in the youth league. Almost all of his professional minutes have been in the last two seasons.

Edited by Pottsy3