Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

5 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Ok, I have literally just noticed this, it doesn't say new signing. It says "additions" meaning more than one. Things have just got more interesting.

Don't get too excited, it says attendees will "also meet one of this year's newest additions to the squad".  To me that reads there are going to be multiple new additions and on Dec 6 they will introduce exactly one of them.

On the other hand a large number of old contracts may be expiring at the end of Nov, so there may be a number of player announcements across the CanPL in the next few days?

18 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Don't get too excited, it says attendees will "also meet one of this year's newest additions to the squad".  To me that reads there are going to be multiple new additions and on Dec 6 they will introduce exactly one of them.

On the other hand a large number of old contracts may be expiring at the end of Nov, so there may be a number of player announcements across the CanPL in the next few days?

Yeah, I get what you are saying, but they couldn't put "one of" if the club had only signed one person, could they? 

However, by "squad", are we just assuming they are referring to playing staff? 

We already know of 9 returnees, Levis and the loan players have gone. That means that 10 contracts are up today. 

With Levis and Dyer gone the players of interest on still on the "still assessing"/"still in discussion" list are: RomeoMekideche and Cebara.

CPL forwards who may be available to help fill the void up front could include CamaraBitar and Welshman.

Well AJB, Yesli, Ohin, De Brienne, Baquero, Gutierez, Ponce, Rendon, there a little to build on.  I am assuming we'll get a loanee or two from Montreal, they have to be happy with how their guys develop in WPG.  But yeah, just about making the playoffs isnt getting it done, lets get a couple of good ones in and get everyone excited and out to the games.  

8 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Anyone follow FC manitoba closely? Any chance of Valour picking up some local talent?  

I wouldn't say "closely", but Evan Barker made team of the year for their particular division, Hidalgo-Mazzei was fairly consistent for both FC Manitoba and the University of Saskatchewan. Other options who played for both FC Manitoba and UofS that Put in good performances could be Kevin Garic (defence) and Diego Reveco (midfield).

Losing Akio, Rea and Dyer within a year is a huge blow to our offence but I’m not entirely sure it’s a bad one. Our offence has been stagnant far too much and I’m excited to see them rebuild it into something fresh. I like Dyer and you cannot deny he was a solid player for us but I see him far more as a supportive piece than a key cog in our offence.

Just please don’t just feed his minutes to Ponce.

Edited by Wippersuna

1 minute ago, Wippersuna said:

Losing Akio, Rea and Dyer within a year is a huge blow to our offence but I’m not entirely sure it’s a bad one. Our offence has been stagnant far too much and I’m excited to see them rebuild it into something fresh. I like Dyer and you cannot deny he was a solid player for us but I see him far more as a supportive piece than a key cog in our offence.

Just please don’t just feed his minutes to Ponce.

I still would like to see what the club looks like with a good (by CPL standards) central striker. We haven't had one yet in 4 years.

Just now, jonovision said:

I still would like to see what the club looks like with a good (by CPL standards) central striker. We haven't had one yet in 4 years.

Basically this. Dyer scored a lot because he was able to competently fill in at striker on a team with no striker. Good on him but not really a recipe for sustained offensive success.