Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

10 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Norman Jr would be a solid addition.

Garcia could get a training camp invite but would have to prove himself to get a roster spot.  Speaking of former Valour players Ulloa's return has been rumoured.  Also, Musse, another former Valour player, has not re-signed with Cavalry at this point.  Welshman, who could provide proven CanPL goal scoring, is looking for more playing time than Forge has been giving him.  Karajovanovic was cut by TFC II and could return to the CanPL.  Greenidge-Duncan, a young winger, was also cut by TFC II and would count for Canadian U21 minutes.  I believe there is a minimum 3 Cdn U21 roster spots for each CanPL team this year, so Valour will need 1 more.

Finally don't count out Romeo, Mekideche, Mikhael and Fordyce quite yet.

Forgot about the Ulloa rumour. I am surprised that Mikhael hasn't been dropped yet. I mean, after his 'mare at the start of the season (almost an instant red card after coming on), he didn't seem to feature much. Romeo and Mekideche would be decent if we could keep them, especially after tehy spoke so highly of him upon signing. The fact that, even after saying that last season would be his last season before retirement, the fact that there is no news about the status of Fordyce is surprising.

14 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Who is going to score for this club? Where are the goals going to come from?

The player to be named later?

I think all will agree that when without Dyer and Akio Valour's offense was weak.  We shall see if Niyongabire and Williams can prove some spark.  Also De Brienne, Catavolo and Ponce are young and will improve with experience.  But ultimately Valour is yet to name a goal scorer.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at this team right now, it really needs these two international signings to excel if Valour wants to be competitive for a playoff spot. There hasn't really been any clear upgrades without a major loss. Ie. Dyer/Rea/Akio out, and Pacifique/Williams in.

The players brought in with CPL experience have somewhat underwhelmed at their previous clubs. If Haynes is meant to replace Levis, that's a clear downgrade.

And just noting this because it was mentioned above, Musse has still been training in Calgary through the offseason + was Cavalry's best attacker last year so I can't imagine he's an option to come to Valour.

Either way, I hope this team has some bigger signings tucked in their back pocket.

4 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Looking at this team right now, it really needs these two international signings to excel if Valour wants to be competitive for a playoff spot. There hasn't really been any clear upgrades without a major loss. Ie. Dyer/Rea/Akio out, and Pacifique/Williams in.

The players brought in with CPL experience have somewhat underwhelmed at their previous clubs. If Haynes is meant to replace Levis, that's a clear downgrade.

And just noting this because it was mentioned above, Musse has still been training in Calgary through the offseason + was Cavalry's best attacker last year so I can't imagine he's an option to come to Valour.

Either way, I hope this team has some bigger signings tucked in their back pocket.

The main issue is, could PDS convince a couple of 'big' players to join a team that keeps missing out on the playoffs and, at present, is notably weaker than it was last year. And, by "weaker", I am not referring to the lack of players.

We have lost a key piece of the jigsaw in Rea, Akio was never really replaced and I doubt Pacifique will make the impact Akio did (right away). looking at our other goalscorers, Ricci was never replaced and Dyer wasn't an out-and-out striker and even taking that into account, he seemed to have lost his edge after the departure of Akio.

Yes, PDS is bringing in some young blood in Pacifique and Williams, but we still lack some experience in the middle of the park. Yes, Ohin is fit again (and apparently finding his voice in the dressing room), but he is more a defensive midfielder and not the one to pull the strings.

I would expect another striker to come in as I can see Pacifique playing more as an Akio-style wide player. Polisi wont be the replacement for Rea so there should (hopefully) be a name coming in there. If we could get a couple of game changers in for those 2 roles, we will have a decent chance going forward. Ideally, Romeo and/or Mekideche will stay too.

I'm just waiting for this month to finish and then I will have a proper look at the side and give my 2 cents for the season going forward.

On 12/24/2022 at 9:41 AM, K Edgar said:

Another trial in Winnipeg?  Put on but Eikon, assuming this is completely separate from the Valour trial Jan 30-Feb 1.

Goal Scorers: Ilyas Omar (Concordia University of Edmonton), Egzon Jeteshi (MacEwan Griffins), 
Daniel Sagno (Thompson Rivers University), Josip Zorica (NK Sesvete) https://www.transfermarkt.us/josip-ivan-zorica/profil/spieler/720946

Is that Artemenko in photo 1?

Edited by K Edgar

6 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Goal Scorers: Ilyas Omar (Concordia University of Edmonton), Egzon Jeteshi (MacEwan Griffins), 
Daniel Sagno (Thompson Rivers University), Josip Zorica (NK Sesvete) https://www.transfermarkt.us/josip-ivan-zorica/profil/spieler/720946

Josip Zorica. Pacy left winger, born in Winnipeg. If he was signed, that would provide competition for de Brienne and allow Pacifique to be the second striker. Daniel Sagno. Right winger, comfortable with the ball at his feet. Also capable playing as a striker. Born in Guinea but family emigrated to Winnipeg when he was young. Given we only have Williams out right at the moment, could be a viable option and I believe he has attended a training camp with Valour before.

The other 2 scorers, I know nothing about.

I don't think that is Artemenko in photo 1 as he would be too old (at 22) for this try out.

Edited by EnigMattic1

Egzon Jeteshi - Alberta native, capable of playing in the attacking third, predominantly out wide but a capable striker.

Ilyas Omar - Canadian/Dutch attacker, prefers playing out wide or as a #10. Can also operate as a wingback and strong with either foot.

It would make sense that attacking players would be the ones to get noticed because of the goals, but I would love to see a list of all the players in attendance.

On 1/4/2023 at 6:42 PM, K Edgar said:

Daniel Sagno (Thompson Rivers) on the scoring list again today, all other names are new.  Baldwin Igbinobaro scored 2 goals - he has played in England's lower tier including Corsham Town FC and Chippenham Town FC.  Daniel Stolar was with Cape Breton Capers.  Ben Creswick (SD Huesca B).  Dominic Cintra and Felipe Cintra (North York Acadamy).

5 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Daniel Sagno (Thompson Rivers) on the scoring list again today, all other names are new.  Baldwin Igbinobaro scored 2 goals - he has played in England's lower tier including Corsham Town FC and Chippenham Town FC.  Daniel Stolar was with Cape Breton Capers.  Ben Creswick (SD Huesca B).  Dominic Cintra and Felipe Cintra (North York Acadamy).

Daniel Stolar - Younger brother of HFX draft pick; Anthony, plays higher up the pitch as a wide midfielder/forward. Will have the added motivation of wanting to compete with his brother. Spent the U-Sports season in the same side as former Valour draft pick; Raine Lyn, playing 9 games and starting 4.

Dominic Cintra - 6'0 forward/right winger from Toronto. Only 17 with Brazilian and Polish heritage. Comfortable with his back to the goal and quick enough to get in behind the defence.

Felipe Cintra - Plays the opposite end of the pitch as a central defender or holding midfielder. Attended the FTF top 60 camp for 2022.

Baldwin Igbinobaro - 6'2 striker who can play on either wing. Comfortable with both feet. Spent time in the English lower leagues and most recently with Barry Town in the Welsh Premier League

Ben Creswick - Victoria native, currently of Huesca, but has spent time in the Pacific u23 side. Midfielder with an eye for goal but equally capable of picking out an assist.

On 1/5/2023 at 12:42 AM, K Edgar said:

Going back to this, I know I said that Artemenko would be too old (at 22), but I seem to think that Sagno is 23. So I'm not sure now.

Josip Zorica appears to have been born and grown up in Winnipeg, but has played 19 times in the Croatian second tier after moving to Croatia shortly after the Valour started playing in CanPL. The sort of player from Winnipeg's local soccer scene that wasn't supposed to have to go overseas any more in other words. Appropriate that he's out on the left wing given he's called Josip.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Nice to see some ex-pats coming back to Winnipeg looking for opportunities, I guess it cant be as terrible here as some make it out to be.  Do any of you guys know anymore on these Eikon guys, other than whats on their website?  Or the Obliseq/montreal outfit?  Seems like a cottage industry of CDN Player management types sprung up 3-4 years ago....I wonder what that was about eh??  

34 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Nice to see some ex-pats coming back to Winnipeg looking for opportunities, I guess it cant be as terrible here as some make it out to be.  Do any of you guys know anymore on these Eikon guys, other than whats on their website?  Or the Obliseq/montreal outfit?  Seems like a cottage industry of CDN Player management types sprung up 3-4 years ago....I wonder what that was about eh??  

Eikon seem to lean more towards the younger players. Other than what is on their website, I know very little. It does appear that they have a lot of current or former Valour players on their books though. For all the players they do have though, they still list Nestor Monge as a Valour player.

It makes sense that they would hold their trials in Winnipeg, given that is where they are based (which could also explain the Valour connection).

I am more than happy to see guys coming back to Winnipeg as I still believe that there should be more local players in the squad. Could any of them do a job? Possibly. Can I see any of the players at the trials at the Valour training camp? I have a few ideas.

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I spoke to a Valour player recently. He told me it's tough to get guys to want to live in Winnipeg.

He said the bubble tournament here also didnt help when teams were staying at the Radisson on Portage, giving lots of people negative impressions of the city with the poverty in that area of town.