Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

43 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

On the fence about this one. I have a mate who is a Perth Glory fan, I will see what his opinion is. Personally, I would have preferred at least one of our forwards to have been Canadian.

35 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Rumours on Twitter that Jared Ulloa is coming back now too. The Wade Miller parody account is usually pretty accurate.

Jared Ulloa, although born in Peru, is a Canadian citizen as I recall so EnigMattic may just get his Canadian forward/winger.  And let us know what your mate thinks of Niyongabire.

Edited by K Edgar

18 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Jared Ulloa, although born in Peru, is a Canadian citizen as I recall so EnigMattic may just get his Canadian forward/winger.  And let us know what your mate thinks of Niyongabire.

His response was "If given the chance, could be good". By all accounts, he only had his contract at Perth terminated because Perth needed the cash and space to re-sign Adam Taggart from Japan.

It is also worth noting that most of his appearances were from the bench and never really for long enough to make an impact.

Edited by EnigMattic1

I am now convinced they are signing players to make Fordyce look better. Ha. Sorry Darryl! It's like I'm on a retainer to bitch about him. 

If the new signing is more of a winger/wide forward that's better but his stats for a striker aren't inspiring. The league does tend to scout reasonably well though so interested to see how it turns out.

From the outside it does look like there would be better Canadian options. Time will tell and I will look stupid again when he is cracking in hatricks every week and sits second in the scoring charts behind Fordyce!

7 hours ago, Jeff Sisler said:

Wondering how Valoir have the scouting info in Western Australia to make this assessment and signing.  How do small clubs do it?  Perth is literally on the other side of the world.  

You didnt hear it from me, but Cheeta plays a lot of Football Manager, sims 5-6 years into the future and advises PDS who to sign.  

3 hours ago, top cheese said:

Another skeptical international signing by valour , never would have thought that could happen?

Open trials in MB again to for a professional team? 

I'm still not sold on the open trials. I mean, there isn't exactly a lot of notice and as it is only in Winnipeg (I know, it's the largest city/capital), but it doesn't really give potential players from outside of the city a chance to make arrangements, especially so soon after Christmas.

9 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I'm still not sold on the open trials. I mean, there isn't exactly a lot of notice and as it is only in Winnipeg (I know, it's the largest city/capital), but it doesn't really give potential players from outside of the city a chance to make arrangements, especially so soon after Christmas.

Is Jan 30th really that soon after Christmas? 6 weeks from the announcement isn't a ton of time but it's not like it's last minute either. Valour have a little over 2 months after this tryout to have the team match ready.

Edited by PegCityCam