Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

Valour's town hall seems to have been a bust in terms of roster news.

Found this from an often reliable source.  Must be referring to Romeo or Mekideche as the possible 3rd.  Losing one of them would mean a rebuild of the defense as well as the offense. :(

5 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Found this from an often reliable source.  Must be referring to Romeo or Mekideche as the possible 3rd.  Losing one of them would mean a rebuild of the defense as well as the offense. :(

Unfortunately, I could see it being Romeo. Having played for Toronto previously, I could see teams in Next Pro looking at him. If it was one of Romeo or Mekideche, I would seriously take a look at Eriks Santos or even Schaale as a replacement. However, both of those would use an international slot. But, if Haynes is a replacement for Johnny 1 Minute, that would free up an international slot.

17 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Is there any particular reason this is a "must"?
In any case, if AJB is returning keeping both around may not be the best use of resources. I'd hang on to Mekideche, given the choice.

18 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Rumour is that it could be Gutierrez. 

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

In any case, if AJB is returning keeping both around may not be the best use of resources. I'd hang on to Mekideche, given the choice.

You also can't rule out the possibility of keeping both and playing 3 at the back.

34 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Is Cebara back?

At the moment, no. The only confirmed returnees are Ohin and AJB, although an article on the CPL website also lists de Brienne, Baquero, Ponce, Gutierrez, Rayane, Rendon and Catavolo.

Cebara is listed as "out of contract, either moving on to other opportunities or the club is still in discussion for a possible return in '23"

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

All I meant is looking at the list of Valour players still not re-signed or departed (Romeo, Mikhael, Cebara, Peña, Esparza, Mekideche, Fordyce, Carlos, Riggi) Romeo and Mekideche are the obvious choices for another team to poach.

1 hour ago, charlesmazz said:

Rumour is that it could be Gutierrez. 

Would be a massif loss.  Re-signed with Valour for 2023 -- Valour would have to be financially compensated?

Dyer, Levis, a couple of York players rumoured... would appear that US leagues (USL Championship, Next Pro) have noticed the talent in the CPL.

Valour wasn't good enough for the playoffs last year. 

It seems all of our top players are leaving/have left (Akio, Levis, Dyer, Gutierrez, Rea)

The players we have left are........not inspiring.

Just replacing our best players this off-season would be incredibly impressive. I don't have confidence that the club will get the right.  Our South American signings last year were underwhelming.

Even if the clubs nails their replacement signings this offseason,  that still wouldn't even be enough to make the playoffs, because we need a better team than what we had last year or the year before.

It feels like 2 steps back right now.

On 12/4/2022 at 12:33 PM, EnigMattic1 said:

Unfortunately, no.

Although, there is right footed, creative midfielder Alessandro Calado who is 19 and spent the U-Sports season with York and getting 2 goals in 2 appearances.

Calado is not a CPL-level player. I personally dont see him as a quality U-Sport Player.

7 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Valour wasn't good enough for the playoffs last year. 

It seems all of our top players are leaving/have left (Akio, Levis, Dyer, Gutierrez, Rea)

The players we have left are........not inspiring.

Just replacing our best players this off-season would be incredibly impressive. I don't have confidence that the club will get the right.  Our South American signings last year were underwhelming.

Even if the clubs nails their replacement signings this offseason,  that still wouldn't even be enough to make the playoffs, because we need a better team than what we had last year or the year before.

It feels like 2 steps back right now.

Seems like Valour will have another full roster turnover this year. 

34 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Gutierrez returning would be the difference between at least bringing back a good chunk of the spine of the team from the previous year (AJB, one of the other CBs hopefully, Gutierrez, a guy that should at least know the system in Ohin), and a near total disaster.

Gutierrez was never in doubt as his contract ran to 2023 anyway (along with Catavolo). Whether or not he remains a Valour player is still in question.

Ok, I figured I would post this as it is an answer to a question that was originally intended to be asked at the Town Hall.

Going forward, Valour hope to develop their high performance program and have it eventually work as an academy. They are working closely with many teams in and around Winnipeg which is allowing them to build a network that they intend to use.

I was pleasantly surprised to find a letter in the mail from Valour pushing ticket packages for 2023, especially since I was not a season ticket holder. I was a little less happy with the included letter from Wade Miller, which read almost like a ransom note. Basically the message was: get average attendance up to 5000 or you can kiss your little soccer team goodbye. 

Did anyone else get this?

On 12/9/2022 at 10:47 AM, EnigMattic1 said:

Ok, I figured I would post this as it is an answer to a question that was originally intended to be asked at the Town Hall.

Going forward, Valour hope to develop their high performance program and have it eventually work as an academy. They are working closely with many teams in and around Winnipeg which is allowing them to build a network that they intend to use.

One of the issues in Manitoba is that multiple groups are calling themselves high-performance or elite when they can't offer the necessary support for the players. They all compete with other for a piece of the market rather than putting the player's best development interests first. I guess Valor wants to dip itself into this market as well. Question though, if they want to create a high-performance academy, who are they going to play to have regular high-performance level competition?

2 hours ago, top cheese said:

One of the issues in Manitoba is that multiple groups are calling themselves high-performance or elite when they can't offer the necessary support for the players. They all compete with other for a piece of the market rather than putting the player's best development interests first. I guess Valor wants to dip itself into this market as well. Question though, if they want to create a high-performance academy, who are they going to play to have regular high-performance level competition?

This is what I want to know. It appears that teams like Winnipeg Phoenix and Bonivital (plus the 3 others announced a while back) are primary "feeders" for the high performance squad at present. As it isn't officially being run as an academy, I would assume that the players that Valour are interested in will continue to play for their respective teams, but have regular training sessions with Valour in order to further their development, until a time that Valour have an academy squad in a competitive league.