Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

18 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Done

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/valour-2022-recap-part-two

No departures announced but Sirois and Rea unlikely to return.

Summary:

Returning: (9)
GK Rayane Yesli, F Walter Poncé, MF Diego Gutiérrez, F Matteo de Brienne, MF Kevin Rendon, CB Andrew Jean-Baptiste, D/MF Andy Baquero, MF Raphael Ohin, MF Matthew Catavolo

Players with options which the club is still assessing: (5)
MF/D Federico Pena, MF Alex Riggi, MF Daryl Fordyce, CB Tony Mikhael, FB Johnny Esparza

Players out of contract, either moving or the club is still in discussion: (6)
F Moses Dyer, D/MF Stefan Cebara, FB Brett Levis, CB Rocco Romeo, CB Nassim Mekideche, MF Jacob Carlos

Loans: (4)
GK Jonathan Sirois, MF Sean Rea... "they’ll move on"
MF Daniel Ascanio... "monitoring"
F Billy Forbes... "out of contract", "assessing"

8 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Anyone else you would keep? Personally, I'd keep Mekedeche and Romeo to add some more height in the box alongside AJB (those three with Yesli would dominate in the air...... Theoretically) and I'd keep Levis and Cebara for versatility.

Dyer, Romeo, Levis, Mekideche would be the priority in my humble opinion.

1 minute ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Surprised that Mekideche didn't have at least an option year in his contract considering he only came in during the summer.

I was thinking that myself. Especially when you take into account that they spoke very highly of him when he signed. Something along the lines of "he has a very high ceiling"?

3 hours ago, Wippersuna said:

I’m sure I’m in the minority but I think I’d rather move on from Dyer. Our offence has been lacklustre with stretches of just seeming completely stagnant and I’d rather see it rebuilt. 

On that note I can’t say I’m excited for more Ponce. 

Not sure about the minority bit but will disagree.  Dyer's lack of production as the season progressed I'd suggest had more to do with the tool kit surrounding him than any short comings of his own making.  That said, I don't think it's any great secret he's looking to challenge himself beyond CPL at this point.  Will an opportunity provide for that???? 

Was a different midfield once Ascanio went to the infirmary.  NIght and day.  Would love to see what he can create over a full season's efforts, but again, that decision may not be Valour's to make. 

Levis had a stand out year.  Sign him if you can. 

Both Rocco and Mekideche are projects where you have to take the good with the bad.  Do with that what you will BUT if it is one or the other, to my eye it's Mekideche.   I write that with great respect to Rocco.    

A fit and in condition AJB back in the line up is welcome news. 

Might be the end of the line for Rico and Riggi.   Guess it largely depends on what they're willing to accept as their roles at this point.  Can still see Riggi earning a bigger role in Valour's 2023 plans.  Rico not so much. 

Be shocked if any announcement about Fordyce's future role with Valour didn't include the world "retire". 

As ever, Valour will be handicapped by their budget.  Players wishes, management's wishes, supporter's wishes, it all smashes against the fiscal realities impossed upon the club.  

Edited by Cheeta

3 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Not sure about the minority bit but will disagree.  Dyer's lack of production as the season progressed I'd suggest had more to do with the tool kit surrounding him than any short comings of his own making.  That said, I don't think it's any great secret he's looking to challenge himself beyond CPL at this point.  Will an opportunity provide for that???? 

Was a different midfield once Ascanio went to the infirmary.  NIght and day.  Would love to see what he can create over a full season's efforts, but again, that decision may not be Valour's to make. 

Levis had a stand out year.  Sign him if you can. 

Both Rocco and Mekideche are projects where you have to take the good with the bad.  Do with that what you will BUT if it is one or the other, to my eye it's Mekideche.   I write that with great respect to Rocco.    

A fit and in condition AJB back in the line up is welcome news. 

Might be the end of the line for Rico and Riggi.   Guess it largely depends on what they're willing to accept as their roles at this point.  Can still see Riggi earning a bigger role in Valour's 2023 plans.  Rico not so much. 

Be shocked if any announcement about Fordyce's future role with Valour didn't include the world "retire". 

As ever, Valour will be handicapped by their budget.  Players wishes, management's wishes, supporter's wishes, it all smashes against the fiscal realities impossed upon the club.  

I think Dyer had his best form when there was someone pacy out wide (Akio). That was when he was at his best and, honestly, he looked somewhat lost after Akio left. If Ascanio could have had a sustained run in the first team where he was consistent and injury free, maybe Dyer would have found his form again.

3 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

You have to think at least one of Romeo or Mekideche return. Valour is massive at the back, but I feel like they've lacked a lot of size up front. I think a poacher like an Anthony Novak would do this team wonders. Bring back Dyer if possible but don't leave him alone up top. 

Last time Valour had height up front was Attardo way back in 2019.  Perhaps he could be lured back from France's 5th tier?

3 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Last time Valour had height up front was Attardo way back in 2019.  Perhaps he could be lured back from France's 5th tier?

I could go for this. We know he can score, knows the club and can also play out wide. I seem to think he only has a 1yr contract which would be up in the summer of '23.

9 hours ago, top cheese said:

With the league progressing he is not a CPL level player

That seems a bit bold. He only just turned 21, and at 18 he was becoming an important player for Valour.

Europe hasn't worked out the way you'd hope, but no reason he can't have a good career. Wesley Timoteo came in at 22 and became top midfielder in CPL this year after similar European experience (literally played at the same second division Cypriot club, and then infrequently started in the Portuguese fifth tier).

9 hours ago, top cheese said:

With the league progressing he is not a CPL level player

I am agreeing with Pottsy on this one.

CPL's level of play has improved since 2019.  But Attardo is young and his play should have improved more during his time in Europe.  I think it would be a possible opportunity for both club and player.

7 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/valour-2022-recap-part-three

"Dos Santos hopes to take a different approach to offseason recruitment than in years past, looking within the league for talent, as well as casting a net in the northern hemisphere more than South America and not being dependent on loan agreements to build a roster."

Other than Ascanio (injured), which loans went badly? I understand building around MLS loanees isn't a long-term solution, but they got 2 years each out of Rea and Sirois, which is probably longer than the average stay of most players in CPL. Imagine the 2022 team without Rea.

17 hours ago, jonovision said:

Other than Ascanio (injured), which loans went badly? I understand building around MLS loanees isn't a long-term solution, but they got 2 years each out of Rea and Sirois, which is probably longer than the average stay of most players in CPL. Imagine the 2022 team without Rea.

I think, out of all the loanees that we have had, Rea will be the hardest to replace.

17 hours ago, K Edgar said:

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/valour-2022-recap-part-three

"Dos Santos hopes to take a different approach to offseason recruitment than in years past, looking within the league for talent, as well as casting a net in the northern hemisphere more than South America and not being dependent on loan agreements to build a roster."

The fact that it mentions that they are already looking at some CPL players whos contracts are either up or up at the end of the month would indicate that, regardless of how drastic the overhaul is, there will still be a significant amount of CPL experience in the squad next season, which is a bonus. And, with focusing more on the northern hemisphere as opposed to South America, there will hopefully be no visa issues.

9 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I may be wrong, but I seem to think that Artemenko is currently without a club. Would anyone want him back to challenge Yesli?

He played the fall season with FC Berlin of the UPSL, so yes out of contract, definitely worth a tryout.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

3 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I may be wrong, but I seem to think that Artemenko is currently without a club. Would anyone want him back to challenge Yesli?

He certainly displayed valour during his time in Ukraine.  Can't question his commitment to a team.  Have Barker and Artemenko tryout for the backup role.  Both are Winnipeg boys.

5 hours ago, K Edgar said:

He certainly displayed valour during his time in Ukraine.  Can't question his commitment to a team.  Have Barker and Artemenko tryout for the backup role.  Both are Winnipeg boys.

He definitely still has ties to the club. My understanding is, he holds di Stefani in high regard to the point he phoned him right before he got on the train to go to the front lines and, from some of his past posts on Twitter, he definitely holds the fans in high regard. Agree with bringing Barker back for a shot too. He has done really well at FC Manitoba.