Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

20 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Going back to this, I know I said that Artemenko would be too old (at 22), but I seem to think that Sagno is 23. So I'm not sure now.

Artemenko is also from Winnipeg (he played for WSA Winnipeg in the PDL) and when I google his name with the word Eikon, there's youtube videos and transfrmarkt that say he's with Eikon, so I'm leaning towards believing that's him

Edit: It is him. In Eikon's Instagram story today, they show him making a save and tagged him. 

Screenshot_20230106_233933_Instagram.jpg

Edited by rydermike

4 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

I spoke to a Valour player recently. He told me it's tough to get guys to want to live in Winnipeg.

He said the bubble tournament here also didnt help when teams were staying at the Radisson on Portage, giving lots of people negative impressions of the city with the poverty in that area of town.

But people want a team in Regina?

6 hours ago, rydermike said:

Artemenko is also from Winnipeg (he played for WSA Winnipeg in the PDL) and when I google his name with the word Eikon, there's youtube videos and transfrmarkt that say he's with Eikon, so I'm leaning towards believing that's him

Edit: It is him. In Eikon's Instagram story today, they show him making a save and tagged him. 

Screenshot_20230106_233933_Instagram.jpg

Would be happy to see him back at Valour. He has a very strong relationship with the GK coach (di Stefani) and seems to hold the fans in high regard too.

I've been thinking. Obviously, we have just signed Marcello Polisi, but what would everyone's opinion be on if Valour were to sign his brother Matteo to add some depth in the attacking third?

As far as I'm aware, he hasn't signed for anyone else at present and can play on either wing, up front or as a second striker (similar to Williams and Dyer). I know he isn't the sort of player who will set the world alight, but as the season progresses, having a player with his versatility around could be handy.

At the moment, our attacking options are Niyongabire, Ponce, Williams and de Brienne (Catavolo as well if we played with a #10). That effectively gives us 2 strikers, a left winger, a right winger and a #10. Matteo could effectively provide cover for all 4 of those positions and wouldn't take the remaining international slot*.

*I say 'remaining' because I am counting Pianelli-Balisoni as one of the internationals.

1 hour ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I've been thinking. Obviously, we have just signed Marcello Polisi, but what would everyone's opinion be on if Valour were to sign his brother Matteo to add some depth in the attacking third?

As far as I'm aware, he hasn't signed for anyone else at present and can play on either wing, up front or as a second striker (similar to Williams and Dyer). I know he isn't the sort of player who will set the world alight, but as the season progresses, having a player with his versatility around could be handy.

At the moment, our attacking options are Niyongabire, Ponce, Williams and de Brienne (Catavolo as well if we played with a #10). That effectively gives us 2 strikers, a left winger, a right winger and a #10. Matteo could effectively provide cover for all 4 of those positions and wouldn't take the remaining international slot*.

*I say 'remaining' because I am counting Pianelli-Balisoni as one of the internationals.

I'm tired of depth signings. Valour need to sign some offensive difference makers. Metteo Polisi is not a difference maker.

14 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

I'm tired of depth signings. Valour need to sign some offensive difference makers. Metteo Polisi is not a difference maker.

I know he isn't a difference maker, and I mentioned that. But, by bringing in a player like Matteo who could play in various positions, it would allow someone like Pacifique Niyongabire or Kian Williams to be the difference maker. As it stands, Kian and Pacifique are going to get pushed around the final third playing in a variety of different positions and never having a run of games in the same position to make a difference.

As far as last season goes (and possibly the season before), the difference maker was Sean Rea. He was the difference maker because he was the creative cog in the team. He had his role and it played to his strengths. Unless Valour are going to go all in and put the money up to sign a difference maker (we can't keep relying on a loanee to be that guy), we will need to work with what we have. If that means we need to get in a depth player to free up a potential depth player, is that really a bad thing?

As it stands, the left wing position will be between Niyongabire and de Brienne, whereas the right wing position is currently (the left footed) Kian Williams, leaving Ponce as the sole striker. By bringing in someone like Matteo Polisi, it would free up Niyongabire to be a striker, or add a second right winger giving the option to release Williams to play a different role. The only other option on the right at present is Gutierrez who seemed to find his form in central midfield last season.

2 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I think I recall PDS stating that he wants Gutierrez playing more of an offensive role in the 2023 season.  Perhaps the signing of Polisi, a defensive midfielder, combined with the return of Ohin will allow Gutierrez to play as an attacking midfielder?

Current midfielder inventory:
Defensive: Ohin, Polisi
Central:  Gutierrez, Rendon (and possibly Carlos)
Attacking: Williams, Catavolo

Edited by K Edgar

9 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

As it stands, the left wing position will be between Niyongabire and de Brienne, whereas the right wing position is currently (the left footed) Kian Williams, leaving Ponce as the sole striker. By bringing in someone like Matteo Polisi, it would free up Niyongabire to be a striker, or add a second right winger giving the option to release Williams to play a different role. The only other option on the right at present is Gutierrez who seemed to find his form in central midfield last season.

Niyongabire is a right winger (according to Transfermarkt: https://www.transfermarkt.us/pacifique-niyongabire/profil/spieler/561646)

And Williams is right footed (https://www.transfermarkt.us/kian-williams/profil/spieler/504936)

de Brienne and Haynes are the only left footed players in Valour's current lineup.

Edited by K Edgar

49 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Niyongabire is a right winger (according to Transfermarkt: https://www.transfermarkt.us/pacifique-niyongabire/profil/spieler/561646)

And Williams is right footed (https://www.transfermarkt.us/kian-williams/profil/spieler/504936)

de Brienne and Haynes are the only left footed players in Valour's current lineup.

The interview that was posted on here with Ollie Bassett had Bassett referring to Williams as a left footed right winger.

My understanding is that Niyongabire prefers his right foot, but is capable with his left and he played as a left winger in Australia.

No wonder I'm confused.

6 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Although I am happy for the guy, I would much rather read about defenders coming into the club at the moment. We are still looking weak defensively.

I am surprised PDS didn't do more to try and keep either him or Romeo. I mean, he spoke really highly of Meki when he was signed.

I know there is some degree of risk involved, but I would like to see Valour offering a few 2yr deals when signing a player, or at least a 1yr deal with an option included. We seem to lose a number of potentially decent players by only offering 1yr deals.

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

It's a trial. Good chance Mekideche will be back.

This ^. Extremely tough to crack an MLS squad, especially when he doesn't count as domestic.

Also difficult to know what his thought process was when he signed with Valour - ie did he only want a short-term deal because he hoped to make the jump the following season? Tough to criticize Valour for this.

31 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

This ^. Extremely tough to crack an MLS squad, especially when he doesn't count as domestic.

Also difficult to know what his thought process was when he signed with Valour - ie did he only want a short-term deal because he hoped to make the jump the following season? Tough to criticize Valour for this.

I think I recall Mekideche expressing MLS ambitions when he signed with Valour.  A short-term deal was likely the only option.  I do not see him landing an MLS contract at this time, perhaps KC's NextPro team could be his destination.  Not sure how not being a "domestic" effects his NextPro prospects.

48 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

It isn't just him though. Romeo, Riggi, and Esparza (no loss there) only had 1yr too. You could at least add an option in there, surely? Whether it is an option that has specific requirements or whether the club has the option. There are possibilities.

PDS talks about having a strong core of players that he wants to build around, but you cant build on 1yr contracts. Haynes made a comment about how PDS sold his vision about how he wants Valour to progress. What are the chances Haynes only has a 1yr contract?

However, I am not saying this is all down to PDS or Valour. As you said, we don't know the details behind the deal to bring Meki to Valour. It is just frustrating when we get players who arrive under heaps of praise and never stick around due to the length of their contracts.

Edited by EnigMattic1

10 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

I think I recall Mekideche expressing MLS ambitions when he signed with Valour.  A short-term deal was likely the only option.  I do not see him landing an MLS contract at this time, perhaps KC's NextPro team could be his destination.  Not sure how not being a "domestic" effects his NextPro prospects.

NextPro has the same type of domestic/international rules as MLS, americans are domestic everywhere, CDN only in Canada.  They can only have I think 7 INT players.  It might not be a big deal, but its still an added restriction on CDN going to try out for a US club that the americans dont have coming up here.    

27 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

It isn't just him though. Romeo, Riggi, and Esparza (no loss there) only had 1yr too. You could at least add an option in there, surely? Whether it is an option that has specific requirements or whether the club has the option. There are possibilities.

PDS talks about having a strong core of players that he wants to build around, but you cant build on 1yr contracts. Haynes made a comment about how PDS sold his vision about how he wants Valour to progress. What are the chances Haynes only has a 1yr contract?

However, I am not saying this is all down to PDS or Valour. As you said, we don't know the details behind the deal to bring Meki to Valour. It is just frustrating when we get players who arrive under heaps of praise and never stick around due to the length of their contracts.

Agreed that longer term contracts for top players would be a great thing.  Valour seems to not publish contract length info.

According to Norther Tribune's CPL Roster Tracker (https://northerntribune.ca/2023-cpl-roster-tracker/): Fordyce, Mikhael and Esparza all have options for 2023 in their contracts which Valour has not (at this time, at least not publicly) picked up.

51 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Riggi also no great loss.

Obviously you're less likely to retain the player, but a player with ambitions is not going to sign up for two years of team control without asking to be paid a significant premium.

Edited by jonovision

19 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Agreed that longer term contracts for top players would be a great thing.  Valour seems to not publish contract length info.

According to Norther Tribune's CPL Roster Tracker (https://northerntribune.ca/2023-cpl-roster-tracker/😞 Fordyce, Mikhael and Esparza all have options for 2023 in their contracts which Valour has not (at this time, at least not publicly) picked up.

Still more info than Forge publish, at least. What is it now? 3mths until the start of the season and absolutely no roster news from them other than the 2 draft picks and Krutzen training with Whitecaps...... Unless you go by Wikipedia.

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Riggi also no great loss.

Obviously you're less likely to retain the player, but a player with ambitions is not going to sign up for two years of team control without asking to be paid a significant premium.

Yeah, it always comes down to money in the end. It's just frustrating seeing the team pretty much rebuilt year after year. I mean, what do you, personally, want to see Valour do? Actually, what does anyone in this thread want to see Valour do? This could make for an interesting discussion.

36 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Still more info than Forge publish, at least. What is it now? 3mths until the start of the season and absolutely no roster news from them other than the 2 draft picks and Krutzen training with Whitecaps...... Unless you go by Wikipedia.

Yeah, it always comes down to money in the end. It's just frustrating seeing the team pretty much rebuilt year after year. I mean, what do you, personally, want to see Valour do? Actually, what does anyone in this thread want to see Valour do? This could make for an interesting discussion.

- retain at least one of Romeo/Mekideche (or bring in like a Luke Singh). Any of those should be able to build an elite CB pairing in this league with AJB

- Bring in a big bodied striker. I still like the idea of an Attardo or Novak, but Tomasz Skublak, Gabriel Balbinotti or even Leaford Allen would even provide something different in a depth role

- bring in Artemenko to backup Yesli

- then the dream move, find a way to bring Kianz Froese home

11 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

- retain at least one of Romeo/Mekideche (or bring in like a Luke Singh). Any of those should be able to build an elite CB pairing in this league with AJB

- Bring in a big bodied striker. I still like the idea of an Attardo or Novak, but Tomasz Skublak, Gabriel Balbinotti or even Leaford Allen would even provide something different in a depth role

- bring in Artemenko to backup Yesli

- then the dream move, find a way to bring Kianz Froese home

I'm all for having a younger defender to partner AJB. The guy knows the club and it would do a younger player well to partner the club captain at the heart of defence.

Attardo would be a good shout. I may be wrong, but I believe his contract is up in the summer. Another striker who has a different playing style to Ponce would definitely add something different.

I've wanted Artemenko back for ages. I think he could push Yesli and he already has a strong relationship with di Stefani which would also help his development. I think the general consensus on here is that Artemenko or Barker should be the second keeper this year.

I can honestly say I don't actually know much about Froese other than he is currently in Germany with a contract due to expire next summer. I know he is highly rated from his time at Whitecaps though.

2 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Actually, what does anyone in this thread want to see Valour do?

1. Survive.

2. Make the playoffs at least every other year.

I frankly don't care much about player continuity if we're bringing back players from a losing team. Do you think having Daryl Fordyce or even Willy Akio were selling more than a handful of tickets? Only if it means winning.