Christey, Quentin | 2007 | Milton, ON, CAN | Milton YSC
Chukwu, Joses | 2007 | Toronto, ON, CAN | Bradford Eagles SC
Derrien-Lairet, Ewan | 2007 | Montréal, QC, CAN | CS Les Boucaniers
Fung, Victor | 2007 | Caracas, VEN & Weston, FL, USA | Escuela Campo Alegre
MacKenzie, Liam | 2007 | Comox, BC, CAN | Comox Valley United SC
Read, Trystan | 2007 | Delta, BC, CAN | South Delta United SC

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

• 2 months later...

I was just doing some transfermarkt searching and ended up on Jonathan de Guzman and then saw a link to his 2007 born son, Jaden de Guzman who plays with PSV youth, transfermarkt doesn’t say anything about citeznship but he would be eligible for us in the future wouldn’t he, maybe for some youth camps?

https://www.transfermarkt.us/jaden-de-guzman/profil/spieler/865001

Edit: Also just saw he had a 120k transfer fee to PSV from feyeenord which seems like a lot for a 15 year old.

Edited by Jack1997

1 hour ago, Jack1997 said:

I was just doing some transfermarkt searching and ended up on Jonathan de Guzman and then saw a link to his 2007 born son, Jaden de Guzman who plays with PSV youth, transfermarkt doesn’t say anything about citeznship but he would be eligible for us in the future wouldn’t he, maybe for some youth camps?

Edit: Also just saw he had a 120k transfer fee to PSV from feyeenord which seems like a lot for a 15 year old.

Eligible for us yes. I believe he’s in the Dutch international system though so could be difficult to have him suit up for Canada this early. There’s a Canadian kid at Feyenoord Academy as well - Kevin Khan 

9 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

Yeah. If this was Julians kid I'd say yes, but its not. So i have 0 hopes for this kid playing for us. 

13 hours ago, Atlantic said:

Eligible for us yes. I believe he’s in the Dutch international system though so could be difficult to have him suit up for Canada this early. There’s a Canadian kid at Feyenoord Academy as well - Kevin Khan 

He’s apparently very good.

Also, would think Jaeden ends up in red. Holland are breeding talent all over and it will be very very hard to crack that midfield with with what they have coming. Don’t forget we’re on the rise now and odds of playing in WC with us are higher.

12 hours ago, Kent said:

The kid is 15. Let's wait to see if he becomes a pro, and then wait again to see if he becomes good enough to play for either national team, before we get too hung up on which national team he chooses.

He's a Holland youth player who just went for 125K…. If we talk about  Ongaro, we can talk about this kid.

Edited by Dominic94

That kid is Dutch, with Canadian ancestry.

Im sorry but my attention will only be focused on guys who have played in the country. 

We’ve lost way too much talent, for that trend to continue. And as much as a melting pot Canada is, we need to stop that first before worrying about kids who’s only affiliation to the country is through ancestry. 

On 12/6/2022 at 8:37 PM, Shway said:

That kid is Dutch, with Canadian ancestry.

Im sorry but my attention will only be focused on guys who have played in the country. 

We’ve lost way too much talent, for that trend to continue. And as much as a melting pot Canada is, we need to stop that first before worrying about kids who’s only affiliation to the country is through ancestry. 

I don't think the 2 are mutually exclusive. If we worry about kids who have affiliation through ancestry, we improve the squad and make it more appealing to guys who have played in canada. Every national team does this. Why should we be more selective than France, Germany, Morocco etc. 

one of herdmans first acts was to prioritize signing dual nationals. Would we have gotten ugbo without Eustaqiou? What about David or akinola? Success breeds success.  Surely koleosho wouldnt be looking at us if we didnt sign the dual nats that we now have. 

20 hours ago, Bigandy said:

I don't think the 2 are mutually exclusive. If we worry about kids who have affiliation through ancestry, we improve the squad and make it more appealing to guys who have played in canada. Every national team does this. Why should we be more selective than France, Germany, Morocco etc. 

one of herdmans first acts was to prioritize signing dual nationals. Would we have gotten ugbo without Eustaqiou? What about David or akinola? Success breeds success.  Surely koleosho wouldnt be looking at us if we didnt sign the dual nats that we now have. 

Calling them dual nats is very loose to me. Because in that case the entire national team other than Waterman is "dual nats"...and I don't see them as such. They are Canadian, with a different culture or upbringing due to ancestry.

-Eustaqiuo born in Canada spent his early years in the country before moving to Portugal at age 7. He was the massive coup, probably due to how his career was going at the time.
-Ugbo played soccer for 2 famed clubs in woodbridge and brampton east for a short period before moving back to England.
-David was only born in the USA, but played his entire amateur career in Canada.
-Akinola was born in the USA, and moved by age 5 but played has played his entire footy career in Canada. If you know his story, you'll hear what Canada has done for him.

Jaden De Guzman is the son of a Dutch international, and dutch mom who's also born and raised in Netherlands, and has only visited Canada as vacation to see his grandparents. Canada would only be a backup option.  

There's a reason why we didn't get Ferdi, and it's probably the same reason why we didn't get Omar.

We need to focus on NOT losing guys like Yankov, Mitrovic, Flores first! and then worry about the hail marys. 
IMO.

53 minutes ago, Shway said:

Calling them dual nats is very loose to me. Because in that case the entire national team other than Waterman is "dual nats"...and I don't see them as such. They are Canadian, with a different culture or upbringing due to ancestry.

-Eustaqiuo born in Canada spent his early years in the country before moving to Portugal at age 7. He was the massive coup, probably due to how his career was going at the time.
-Ugbo played soccer for 2 famed clubs in woodbridge and brampton east for a short period before moving back to England.
-David was only born in the USA, but played his entire amateur career in Canada.
-Akinola was born in the USA, and moved by age 5 but played has played his entire footy career in Canada. If you know his story, you'll hear what Canada has done for him.

Jaden De Guzman is the son of a Dutch international, and dutch mom who's also born and raised in Netherlands, and has only visited Canada as vacation to see his grandparents. Canada would only be a backup option.  

There's a reason why we didn't get Ferdi, and it's probably the same reason why we didn't get Omar.

We need to focus on NOT losing guys like Yankov, Mitrovic, Flores first! and then worry about the hail marys. 
IMO.

If Rueben wouldn’t live vicariously through Marcelo than we would have him. 

Mitrovic is a product of our scouting system.

tbh, I’m not sure the last 3 matter in a few years. 

2 hours ago, Shway said:

IMO.

I see what youre saying. I agree, we need to make sure we don't let the low hanging fruit slip through our hands.  The only exception is that I would throw every resource at a hail mary Centerback (whos a tier 1 player) vs any current uncommitted prospects. If only we had more CB options hiding somewhere.

30 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I see what youre saying. I agree, we need to make sure we don't let the low hanging fruit slip through our hands.  The only exception is that I would throw every resource at a hail mary Centerback (whos a tier 1 player) vs any current uncommitted prospects. If only we had more CB options hiding somewhere.

Hehe. Maybe one of these kids will be our Gvadiol in 26. These kids wil be 19\20. Lots of things can happen in 3.5 years in football. 

3 years ago all of us would be in heaven if we knew how things turned out. 

4 hours ago, Shway said:

IMO.

On the other hand, Wotherspoon was capped for Canada before even stepping foot in the country, and I don’t believe he’s ever been to Canada aside from games and training. Ugbo spent about 4 years in Canada. Born in London, moved here at 5, still managed to pay for Blackburn’s U10s I believe.

agree with the general point that the weaker the connection with Canada is the lower the chance of getting the player is- we aren’t Brazil or England- and some of these long shots have zero interest in playing for Canada, but we take what we can get. Bruno Davidson is another one who is Scottish with a Canadian mother (?) but he seems interested in playing for us.

all of these U15 Canadians in Europe are not relevant to me yet though. If you’re a dual national playing at a European academy, it means you have a second passport, and if you’re that good at that age, you likely believe you can one day play for Netherlands’ senior team. Still have a good 5 or so years to prove yourself too. De Guzman probably only factors into the 2034 plans, since he’d realistically be a 23 (?) year old Dutch talent in 2030, young enough to still be on their radar if he ends up being really good.

Mexico Camp December 10/20  Returning from October camp

CB - Fung, Victor | 2007 | Caracas, VEN & Weston, FL, USA | Escuela Campo Alegre  / Inter Miami

M - MacKenzie, Liam | 2007 | Comox, BC, CAN | Comox Valley United SC  /Vancouver Whitecaps

GK - Abraham, Nathaniel | 2007 | Toronto, ON, CAN | Vaughan SC Azzurri  TFC Academy

Added:

F- Klukowski, Antoni | 2007 | Warsaw, POL & Palma Mallorca, ESP | Escola Legia Warszawa

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM