Should We Be Concerned About our Backline?

phil03

Should We Be Concerned About our Backline?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Should We Be Concerned About our Backline?

• Yes, we need to close the gap if we wish to keep improving
    • No, some differences are normal so we just keep trying to improve the team as a whole
    • Concerned might be pushing it, as all teams have their strength and weakness, but we should pay attention to it

10 hours ago, The Pessimist said:

We should definitely be concerned. I'm basing this on what I saw during the last 10 minutes of the Mexico game, where they almost tied the game, and also during the Costa Rica away game where Costa Rica repeatedly beat us to headed crosses into the box.

We seem to have a problem dealing with crossed balls. Steven Vitoria seems to be the only defender that we can rely on to get his head on the ball in tight situations. The rest of our defenders need to step up this part of their game if we want to have any success at the WC.

I agree - it is easy to forget that some of our wins and draws could easily have been draws or losses without the heroics of Borjan and Crepeau.  That's the difference between topping the group and battling it out for the playoff spot.

9 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

For a couple of seconds, I was like:  What did he have to swagger about?  The '64 Civil Rights Act?

Yes I am getting old, used to be a political nerd and have not paid attention to basketball (right?) in a long while.

You have it right, I did mean Lyndon B Johnson.  Legend (or fact) says he had a foot long in his pants and was very open and eager about showing it.  He'd use it to intimidate others.  That's how I'd feel if Tomori and Cristante were leading our back line.

2 minutes ago, costarg said:

You have it right, I did mean Lyndon B Johnson.  Legend (or fact) says he had a foot long in his pants and was very open and eager about showing it.  He'd use it to intimidate others.  That's how I'd feel if Tomori and Cristante were leading our back line.

Gotta be honest, if that's what you would do with a first-rate backline, I'm suddenly very ok with Waterman and Vitoria.

Plus to see Canada's backline trying to hold up against Belgium, Croatia or even that of Morocco; let's just say Canada is in for a rough showing. I mean with Belgium they outclass Canada in almost every way offensively and defensively too. Their goalkeeper Courtois is still elite.

Croatia still have that midfield maestro Luka Modric but also yeah their team is getting somewhat older but their young talent they have coming in rivals that of Canada. But their goalkeeping situation is pretty suspect. But I still would have to give them the edge over Canada but just barely.

Morocco...being an African-Canadian myself I know what Morocco is capable of. Defensively they play pretty tight at the back but with tactics like that, they play similarly to a team like let's say Switzerland in that kind of regard. But also their midfield is pretty good too but up front they definitely look somewhat suspect. But only somewhat. But even then would I give Canada a chance against Morocco? Yeah I would 

But also Canada too have some weaknesses not just at the back but also within midfield.

7 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Croatia still have that midfield maestro Luka Modric but also yeah their team is getting somewhat older but their young talent they have coming in rivals that of Canada. But their goalkeeping situation is pretty suspect. But I still would have to give them the edge over Canada but just barely.

As much as Modric worries me, it's Brozovic/Kovacic/Kramaric that worry me far more.  They are all midfield monsters in their own right and in their prime.  We're not even close to that level in our midfield.  Our forwards are better, and our defenders are actually not much worse than theirs.  But midfield is no contest. 

Edited by GasPed

3 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Gotta be honest - as much as Modric worries me, it's Brozovic/Kovacic/Kramaric that worry me far more.  They are all midfield monsters in their own right and in their prime.  We're not even close to that level in our midfield.  Our forwards are better, and our defenders are actually not much worse than theirs.  But midfield is no contest. 

Exactly and that is what I think it will boil down to and Canada faces Croatia 2nd before they face Morocco in the 3rd and final group game

• 8 months later...

100000% our defenders have been and at this point will always be our weakest point. I have never rated Kamal Miller and there is a reason why Miller has not made a move to Europe yet and a reason why Kennedy plays on a 2nd league German team that got relegated this year. There is levels to having a quality international team and starting defenders in a big game with resumes like that make it so evident the results will turn out like they did tonight.

The things I would do to have Tomori in a Canadian jersey....

25 minutes ago, canadasoccer20 said:

100000% our defenders have been and at this point will always be our weakest point. I have never rated Kamal Miller and there is a reason why Miller has not made a move to Europe yet and a reason why Kennedy plays on a 2nd league German team that got relegated this year. There is levels to having a quality international team and starting defenders in a big game with resumes like that make it so evident the results will turn out like they did tonight.

The things I would do to have Tomori in a Canadian jersey....

Depends how far back you go.  40 years ago, all we had were defenders.

I want to get a good look at some of our new MLS defenders at the Gold Cup.

McGraw looks like he might be an option to take Vitoria's place in the middle of the back three. I don't think any of our other defenders are adequate in that role. I hope to see him at the Gold Cup.

Bombito looks very athletic and might be a great option in the near future but he needs at least a couple of dozen more professional games under his belt before he's ready.

Edited by Norrin Radd

I assume that is a big reason for bringing in Shaw and Neville. 

There is no big secret or surprise though, we are decades behind the states for progression, growth and investment into youth development and national leagues. It's a long game but we will get there provided we find ways to keep growing and sustaining momentum.

Definitely ready to see some new blood in McGraw and Bombito. Heibert too.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

I assume that is a big reason for bringing in Shaw and Neville. 

There is no big secret or surprise though, we are decades behind the states for progression, growth and investment into youth development and national leagues. It's a long game but we will get there provided we find ways to keep growing and sustaining momentum.

Definitely ready to see some new blood in McGraw and Bombito. Heibert too.

We are hundreds of millions behind them, look how many high end academies and facilities they have. We have not invested in a single one here.

4 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

We are hundreds of millions behind them, look how many high end academies and facilities they have. We have not invested in a single one here.

Downsview and the facility the Whitecaps have? Not sure what CF Montreal's setup is these days. It's certainly true that there are many more facilities like that in the USA but is that surprising when they have a much larger population?

People are focusing a lot on what happens when Vitoria leaves the scene but the same question mark also hangs over goalkeeping post-Borjan who was already looking like he was slightly past his sell by date at this level in Qatar and no longer appears to be part of Red Star Belgrade's plans for next season. The octagon may well have been the peak on CMNT performance for a few years in other words until those two issues get resolved because the options after those guys may not be able to cut it at this level when teams like the USA and Mexico are the opponent.

Beyond that I think people need to be realistic where players like Waterman and Zator are concerned. They are more likely to have been receiving callups because they are viewed as the best available options to fill out the roster rather than because they are viewed as somebody who you would genuinely want out there in a game like this with a trophy on the line.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot